Duramax fuel system

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duramax fuel system

Walking
    Thanks

Duramax fuel system

I have an 01 GMC with a duramax. The injectors went out in 05' and the dealership replaced them under warranty for me and made it sound like it was kind of a fluke. I didn't really dig into it any further and I basically parked the truck during the winters for the next few years as it was part of my work fleet. I traded another truck for a cobalt ss to save on gas and planned on driving the duramax during the winter. I have been stranded by the truck about half a dozen times now during very cold weather. Each time I take it to the shop and they replace the fuel filter for me and everything is fine until the next cold snap. I did a bit of research and found out the fuel filtering system is inadequate for the tollerances of injectors. So rather than properly filter the fuel when ever the filter gets a slight amount of water or ice in it the computer goes into a limp home mode and won't let me exceed 25mph. I am adding an add on filter system in hopes of protecting my very expensive injectors and also to keep from being stranded in the cold again. I am dissapointed that as part of the warranty injector replacement they didn't remedy the filtration problem. If they didn't want to pay for that I wish they would have let me know the problem and I gladly would have paid for it then before my injectors have suffered anymore wear and I had to figure out how to get home in subzero temperatures. Other than this issue I love the truck and the engine. Its just a shame to have such a good truck ruined by a $50 filter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Duramax fuel system

The warranty injector replacement was for a known problem per x number of vehicles. Admittedly living in the south, I've never heard of such a problem, but I'd be surprised if the engineers had either.

Sounds like you might need a fuel additive for special severe weather conditions. Just how cold are we talking about?

You seem to have a severe usage problem, not a problem with your Duramax.

Walking
    Thanks

I have an '02 Duramax and have also had my injectors replaced under warranty.
    I don't believe the problem is the filtration ---it's actually BAD INJECTORS.If the problem were filtration it would be MUCH cheaper and easier for GM to upgrade the filtration system as opposed to replacing the injectors.
    If you are using the truck in below-freezing temps you probably need to use an additive to prevent fuel "gelling"...a common problem with diesel fuel that is exposed to very low temperature.Also,if you are getting an inordinate amount of water in the fuel I would switch suppliers or if you have your own bulk tanks you may need to add filters or water seperators.
    I live in southeast Montana and have never (yet!!) had any issues with STARTING or RUNNING becasue of gelled fuel.I use an anti-gell product called "Diesel Kleen" but there are several on the market that are equally effective.
    best
    Dana

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Life of a diesel in a sub zero climate!

Plugging it in, leaving it running 24/7 in frigid -0 weather, messing with changing the fuel filters, adding anti-gelling additives and not to mention fuel costs more than $1.00 MORE than gas keeps me LOVIN' my gas powered 6.0 and doing nothing more than a $19.95 oil change and it will start anytime no matter what
    the weather!

BUT......They DO have their advantages !
    Last edited by sonjaab; 01-19-2009 at 01:28 PM.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    Life of a diesel in a sub zero climate!

!
    Don't even mention using them as a plow truck. My cousin was plowing on the ice, broke through the slush ice layer. Tranny Cooler, Fuel Heater, and fuel filter all hang below the frame. They were all ripped off. Plus 1 front axle.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

DOH...........Thats exactly WHY I have a 2500 as I do commercial snow plowing!
    I have read sooooo many tales of woe from the diesel fans at the plowing sites and elsewhere that I have always avoided the oil burners !
    All the posts on the first generation Duramax injector issues, the Ford "powerjoke" 6.0 and Torques*it tranny failure issues along with dealer repair nighmares!
    NOw plenty of fuel filter issues on the D-max and so on...................

Makes me love my gasser that will start in any sub zero weather and live on only $19.95 oil changes and WORK for hours on end daily !

Sure I have to "struggle" uphill towing my boat, camper or toy box
    at 55 while the diesel boys thump their chest and do 75 mph (lol)!
    But I saved $8200 from the get go and ain't seen a repair bay yet!
    Last edited by sonjaab; 05-05-2009 at 10:46 PM.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC wpgmachoman's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax

I just bought a diesel, and will be my first winter with one. Diesels of any sort hate water, and that little wire, detects water. I do agree, from reading at www.dieselplace.com, that this filter is thing that is weak on the truck. GM just up-changed the stock filter this spring to improve filter ability to weed water and bio..

I was stranded years ago in the middle no where saskatchwan in a rented diesel truck, frozen fuel filter..can't remember if it was a gm or ford..but the mechanic showed me the entire filter full of water.

Put in an aftermarket, 2 mircon CAT fuel filter in line to the stock one. This WILL save your injectors, and drain the water..but the worst enemy to any diesel truck/car is the fuel pump...

Buy diesel from a truck stop..tank is turned over volume daily, is clean and likely little water..go to wallyworld gas station..the probably do one tank a month of diesel..time for water, dirt and crap to get in...

No car maker will fix your engine from a bad tank of fuel...you have to go after the fuel dealer....

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information