2010 Malibu warranty issues

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Malibu warranty issues

Walking
    Thanks

Angry 2010 Malibu warranty issues

My malibu has turned 5400 miles. I have taken the car in 3 times for warranty issues.Twice for airbag warnings and once for the onstar system failure. I am about to return the car for the fourth time regarding onstar (incoming calls do not function) and I now have noise coming from the strut towers. I know I have read previously where others have had issue with front end noise and did spell out the fix. I hope someone out there can give guidance as to the front end noise remedy.

My dealer has been fine but the thrill of a new car is long gone. Wished I bought another brand. GM quality is suspect in my mind.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2010 Malibu warranty issues

Quote Originally Posted by fierogt6 View Post
    My malibu has turned 5400 miles. I have taken the car in 3 times for warranty issues.Twice for airbag warnings and once for the onstar system failure. I am about to return the car for the fourth time regarding onstar (incoming calls do not function) and I now have noise coming from the strut towers. I know I have read previously where others have had issue with front end noise and did spell out the fix. I hope someone out there can give guidance as to the front end noise remedy.

My dealer has been fine but the thrill of a new car is long gone. Wished I bought another brand. GM quality is suspect in my mind.
    Sorry to hear about the issues with your Malibu. Would you mind PMing me with more details? I would like to look into this further for you.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fierogt6 View Post

I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ that I ordered. At 999 miles, the "service air bag" warning went off, requiring the dealer to repair wiring and connectors. Last Fall, with a little over 20,000 miles, the "service air bag" warning went off and the dealer replaced the right front seat belt / pre-tensioner assembly. The car has never been wrecked or damaged. Numerous other things have gone wrong with the car. I am a long-time GM customer, but the quality and reliability of the 2008 Impala has been very poor. Good luck.

Walking
    Thanks

Airbag issue #1 was resolved by replacing the drvr. side airbag module. Airbag #2 was resolved by changing out a wiring harness(location unknown). Onstar # 1 , the vehicle could not be located. Dealer held the car for one week to await a replacement module. I was given a loaner car. Onstar # 2 concerns my inability to receive phone calls. Onstar recommended returning to the dealer.

Chev. customer quality issued # 71-824153044 and promised me a letter authorizing all maintenance for 12/12000 at no cost as compensation for issues 1,2&3. Letter was alledgedly issued 5/11. to date I have not received same.

I am working with the dealership "fixed operations manager". I will dropoff the car 6/1 for the Onstar and hopefully repair the strut noises.

For the record, my dealer has been wonderful. Very lucky in this regard.

Walking
    Thanks

I have a 2010 Malibu that has 7400 miles on it. Within the past couple of weeks, the "Service Airbag" light has come on. It stayed on for two days the first time happened, then off for a couple. It has now stayed on for three days.
    I work 6 days a week and will have to make an appointment to take it in. And I will need someone to take me to work while it is being serviced. It appears to me that the 2010 models have an airbag issue since I'm not the only "proud" owner having this problem.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Quote Originally Posted by tlw2010 View Post
    I have a 2010 Malibu that has 7400 miles on it. Within the past couple of weeks, the "Service Airbag" light has come on. It stayed on for two days the first time happened, then off for a couple. It has now stayed on for three days.
    I work 6 days a week and will have to make an appointment to take it in. And I will need someone to take me to work while it is being serviced. It appears to me that the 2010 models have an airbag issue since I'm not the only "proud" owner having this problem.
    My 2006 Buick LaCrosse had that issue too and I had to have the passenger sensor replaced. As GM's financial health improves I hope they look at upgrading the reliability of some of their common sub-components.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    My 2006 Buick LaCrosse had that issue too and I had to have the passenger sensor replaced. As GM's financial health improves I hope they look at upgrading the reliability of some of their common sub-components.

almost thru me there, I forgot the lacrosse has been around in the US for awhile now....
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Walking
    Thanks

I dropped my "baby" off at the local dealership this morning. I haven't been overly impressed with their service in the past. Here's hoping they make me a "Happy Camper" this time.

Walking
    Thanks

I dropped off my 2010 Malibu at my local dealership at 7:00am yesterday. They didn't have it ready when I got off from work at 5:00pm. They said there were 5 more vehicles before mine. "You can come pick it up and just bring it back in the morning if you want to.". I told them it is more trouble having to bring it in bright and early in the morning. I had someone pick me up from work AND pick me back up for work this morning (fyi- I was at work early enough that I was the only one here... and being bitten by mosquitos). I called the dealership at 10:19am. The car was out "with one of the techs somewhere on a test drive". They were to call me back. Haven't heard from them yet. It is now 2:37pm. Something's wrong with this picture. I am car-less and even without a rental. Very unhappy here.

Walking
    Thanks

I finally got word on my car. I had to call them back. A part had to be ordered and might be in tomorrow... maybe Monday. I'm going to pick up my car (as it is the only one I have) and take it back when the part comes in. I was told that it is safe to drive as is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlw2010 View Post
    I finally got word on my car. I had to call them back. A part had to be ordered and might be in tomorrow... maybe Monday. I'm going to pick up my car (as it is the only one I have) and take it back when the part comes in. I was told that it is safe to drive as is.
    Hi tlw2010,

I'm going to message you for more information. I would like for us to get in contact with the dealer to get more information for you.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service
    Follow us @GMCustomerSvc on Twitter.

Walking
    Thanks

... not good. My 2010 Malibu LT2 just started displaying this message this past week -- about 3,500 miles on it, bought right off the show room floor with 3 miles on it! I was happy ...

I traded in my beautiful black Merceds-Benz E320 because the service costs on Mercedes is breaking the bank (we had two Mercedes Benz to keep up). With a brand new Malibu, I thought those service days were over.

Hah! Think again ... SERVICE AIRBAG every now and then when I start the vehicle. I will sometime turn the car off and 'reboot' the system. I simply, and utterly, cannot STAND HAVING TO DO MORE SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure they will want me to bring it it ... make na appointment ... leave it with them so they can fix the other 50 ahead of me ... I want a freakin rental car like the Mercedes Dealership would put me in.

I work at NASA and right now are busy, busy times ... some day I don't eat lunch until after my 2PM presentation or sometimes later - and then, its in the car on the way back. I do not live 'in town' either - this is a major pain.

I am so dissapointed ... I just cannot believe this with 3,500 miles. My wife just bought full loaded 2010 Honda Accord EX-L ... you think there will be any problems with that? Hmm ... we'll see.

In the meantime, I can't even find the time to refinance my house because we are scrambling around at work to pull rocket stuff together ... much less, be without a vehicle - put me in a stinking rental ASAP and get this resolved.

It is intermittent ... comes on and will stay on for duration of drive. I can turn off the vehicle, remove the key, open and close driver's door ... then enter, insert key, turn to let computer initialize for about 3 seconds prior to starting the engine and it usually does not come back on.

I have to deal with this now ... not happy - not good.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    ... not good. My 2010 Malibu LT2 just started displaying this message this past week -- about 3,500 miles on it, bought right off the show room floor with 3 miles on it! I was happy ...

I traded in my beautiful black Merceds-Benz E320 because the service costs on Mercedes is breaking the bank (we had two Mercedes Benz to keep up). With a brand new Malibu, I thought those service days were over.

Hah! Think again ... SERVICE AIRBAG every now and then when I start the vehicle. I will sometime turn the car off and 'reboot' the system. I simply, and utterly, cannot STAND HAVING TO DO MORE SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure they will want me to bring it it ... make na appointment ... leave it with them so they can fix the other 50 ahead of me ... I want a freakin rental car like the Mercedes Dealership would put me in.

I work at NASA and right now are busy, busy times ... some day I don't eat lunch until after my 2PM presentation or sometimes later - and then, its in the car on the way back. I do not live 'in town' either - this is a major pain.

I am so dissapointed ... I just cannot believe this with 3,500 miles. My wife just bought full loaded 2010 Honda Accord EX-L ... you think there will be any problems with that? Hmm ... we'll see.

In the meantime, I can't even find the time to refinance my house because we are scrambling around at work to pull rocket stuff together ... much less, be without a vehicle - put me in a stinking rental ASAP and get this resolved.

It is intermittent ... comes on and will stay on for duration of drive. I can turn off the vehicle, remove the key, open and close driver's door ... then enter, insert key, turn to let computer initialize for about 3 seconds prior to starting the engine and it usually does not come back on.

I have to deal with this now ... not happy - not good.

It is not just the inconvenience of having to have the car serviced (repaired), it is knowing that there is a serious safety defect with the car.

Good luck - I am very disappointed with the poor quality of my 2008 Impala LTZ - especially with two air bag system malfunctions.

If you are in a crash - you run the risk that the air bag system will not function properly. I would not hesitate to have it repaired.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    White 10 Malibu/Blue 13 Cruze

I see this thread is 3 years old now but I don't want to start a new one. I purchased my 2010 Malibu from a Chevy dealer a year ago and the year warranty ended at the beginning of the month. A week or more ago I started getting the "Service Airbag" message. Is there a common cause for this?

Thanks
    Originally Posted by CLJohnI see this thread is 3 years old now but I don't want to start a new one. I purchased my 2010 Malibu from a Chevy dealer a year ago and the year warranty ended at the beginning of the month. A week or more ago I started getting the "Service Airbag" message. Is there a common cause for this?
    Hello,

We can understand your concerns with the "Service Airbag" indicator light. If you want to send us your VIN and mileage, we can do further research on this matter to see if there are any bulletins addressing this specific issue.

Thanks

Amber N. (assisting Jessica L.)
    GM Customer Care
    Follow us @GMCustomerSvc on Twitter.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information