2009 HHR PARASITIC (PHANTOM) ELECTRICAL DRAIN, dead battery

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2009 HHR PARASITIC (PHANTOM) ELECTRICAL DRAIN, dead battery

Walking
    Thanks

2009 HHR PARASITIC (PHANTOM) ELECTRICAL DRAIN, dead battery

My 2009 HHR panel has a dead battery after sitting idle for only three or four days. It has been to the dealership twice and they can't find anything wrong. I believe it is a phantom drain on the battery. Yesterday this happened for the third time and I had to call road service to jump start it. I desparately need a solution to this problem. I found some information on a forum which indicates a solution might be available, but it only applies to 2007vehicles: "Recommendation/Instructions:
    Note: Only apply the information to 2007 model year vehicles. A separate PI (Preliminary Investigation) has been created for the 08-09 model year
    If you experience a vehicle that has an intermittent battery draw, please follow the instructions below and then review the template below that lists all related PI's and Bulletins. If it becomes necessary to contact Technical Assistance, please record the results for all the PI's and Bulletins that apply to your vehicle prior to calling."
    One question is, where can I find these PI's and bulletins for the 08-09 models? My main question is, what is the solution to this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: 2009 HHR PARASITIC (PHANTOM) ELECTRICAL DRAIN, dead battery

First off, I feel for you on this intermittent concern. Do you know if the dealer has done a parasitic draw test on the vehicle? If so, what sort of draw (mA) were they seeing and for how long? Does the vehicle have any aftermarket accessories (IE: Autostart/Alarm) installed? There are a couple of bullitens related to your concern that apply to 2006-2009 HHR's. These may or may not be the cause of your problem.....

PIC4108G: Battery Draw From The BCM 2 Fuse....Have the dealer follow this
    if it has not been performed yet.

#PIT4787C: Approximate 150 To 200 mA Draw From The Power Steering Control Module. Another option to try?

Good starting points if they have not been done so far.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR, LT. Red metalic

2008 HHR here, with the same problem. Every time we park the car at the airport for a week-long vacation: dead battery on our return. More aggravating: when the battery is dead and you try to start the car... you can't remove the key from the ignition! So, you have to leave the car unprotected, if you have to go anywhere to call for help. Stupid engineering.

Anyway, I finally gave up on the original battery and got a new NAPA one. The shop manager suggested putting a continuity light between one of the terminals, to test for any drain when the car is totally turned off/ doors closed, etc. The light glowed, so I proceeded to pull every fuse from the fuse box — one-at-a-time — but couldn't stop the light from glowing. (I have no under-hood light, so that wouldn't have been one of the circuits — but now I'm wondering if there are TWO bad circuits and I was only cutting one at a time? Also, is there another fuse box?)

Until I get this solved, I may have to buy one of those portable jump start units, as a back-up. That, or take our reliable 1995 Camry wagon (404,000 km) to the airport next time.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

G. Barry, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations! If you would ever like to involve the Customer Service team nearest you, I recommend getting in touch with GM of Canada representatives. Their contact information can be found on http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...actus/overview!

Best,

Katie
    GM Customer Service
    Follow us @GMCustomerSvc on Twitter.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR, LT. Red metalic

Thanks Katie. I took it to Mertin GM in Chilliwack today. They put it on a parasitic draw test and it took the technician over an hour to trace it to the driver's door switch, which was giving intermittent draws. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, as they had to wait on the part. I'm wondering if the seat belt got shut against the switch at some point, slightly damaging it.

Now we can park it without worrying! I wonder if this will be nedwob's solution too.

They also replaced the left control arm, which has been noisy for some time. Pretty strange for a part like that to wear out, after only 66,000 km.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nedwob View Post
    My 2009 HHR panel has a dead battery after sitting idle for only three or four days. It has been to the dealership twice and they can't find anything wrong. I believe it is a phantom drain on the battery. Yesterday this happened for the third time and I had to call road service to jump start it. I desparately need a solution to this problem. I found some information on a forum which indicates a solution might be available, but it only applies to 2007vehicles: "Recommendation/Instructions:
    Note: Only apply the information to 2007 model year vehicles. A separate PI (Preliminary Investigation) has been created for the 08-09 model year
    If you experience a vehicle that has an intermittent battery draw, please follow the instructions below and then review the template below that lists all related PI's and Bulletins. If it becomes necessary to contact Technical Assistance, please record the results for all the PI's and Bulletins that apply to your vehicle prior to calling."
    One question is, where can I find these PI's and bulletins for the 08-09 models? My main question is, what is the solution to this problem?
    you should head over to www.chevyhhr.net sign up for an account and log in.
    they have lists of tsb's and a complete list of what the bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty cover.
    they have been an invaluable help with my hhr problems especially since its now over its warranty.

the hhr has the same front end as the cobalt/g5/ion so front end parts will be a way of life.
    i really like my hhr 2lt and i had two ion's so i know about front end pieces.
    my hhr will probably need control arm bushings and end links within the next 2months. clunk clunk over bumps.
    jeff

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Silver Silverado 2500 4x4

If they cant find it;buy an optima battery.It will fix it.I had a similar problem on my work truck "powerstroke" and it solved it.

Walking
    Thanks

My Boss Fired Me and When He Did He Said, “Come On Nobody Has That Many Car Problems In 6 Weeks On A Nearly New Car!”
    Okay I am new to the forum so first of all what is a Dart Vader hood? Secondly here is my lengthy but important story...
    My HHR 2006 LT 2.4 is notorious for electrical problems! When I purchased mine it was a fleet vehicle I bought in 2007 it had 38K highway miles- within first 6 weeks the car stole my key refusing to let me have it when I tried to pull from the ignition! She died hard and cold twice when I went over a railroad track; two weeks later she was found dead after two trips to her dealer, in my garage. The time was 8 am and I had to be at work at 9 am. So for the 3rd time in 6 weeks I had to call my boss and embarrassingly explain that I would be late for work. The tow guy took it from my garage to the dealer, now the fourth visit, the dealer said nothing wrong! Two weeks later I am on my way to the grocery store and all the dash lights started flashing in erroneous patterns-intermittently. I got to the grocery store and cut the engine and the key would not release. So once again I called the tow truck! This time I aggressively told the dealer he needed to find the reason for the problem or I would invoke the lemon law. They kept her for four days in the hospital and checked all her wires and systems. They claim to have discovered that the radio had a grounding strap that was erroneously connecting to the chassis and grounding the charging system?? So I said-FIX IT!

They replaced the radio and said your good to go now! They were right. I had not a single problem until 3 years later. The traction light came on while I was on a short trip to Oklahoma. It would cause the feel of the tires on the road to drag. Again I traipsed to the mechanic twice who couldn't diagnose it. I took her to the dealer and guess what their solution was? They disable the traction lock warning system in the computer. The annoying scary light went out and the dragging on my tires stopped.

Another three years went by I now have 128K miles on the car and have been quite happy with the reliability. But now we are in the battle for our wits against the electric HHR He**! AGAIN!
    First I noted my dome light was not working and was lose - I turned it off. Occasionally my car lights and my dash lights would dim or not come on at all. So in April 2013 I went out to the car to go to the store and the car was dead as a door nail. I called my friend who stopped a bought a new battery and installed it. The car worked fine for 2 months. I went on a trip to Houston and on the way back I stopped to rest as I was getting sleepy. I left keys in ignition but tuned car off and rested at a McDonalds for 2 hours. When I awoke to get back on the road the car was totally dead - no juice! I called roadside assistance-they charged the battery and the car ran great for 2 more months Until 4 days ago when the Check Charge System Red Battery symbol came up on the dash warning system. I thought hmmm I must get this checked. The next morning I drove straight to the O'Reillys where I purchased the battery which was still under warranty. The battery was tested at 43% and the kid said it was the alternator but to test it he needed a full charge on the battery! So I went home took out the battery brought it to the store and he put it on a charge system - loaded it and called and said, "Nothing is wrong with the battery!" I put it back in the car and drove it to Autozone on the way the lights in the dash dimmed and the power steering stiffened it was a scary ride. When I arrived the guy said the battery only had 12% charge. I started it up to take it home and the car completely froze but the lights would come on (everything on the dash was turned off). I walked to Hibdons and they put a charge on the battery and drove it in to their bay, they put it on a system tester and called to tell me I needed both a battery and an alternator the price tag $578.00 YIKES! I called my mechanic friend who replace the alternator--parts and labor 280.99. I also got a new battery installed under warranty at the same time.
    Okay I get in to drive her home and on the way I went over a railroad track at about 4 mph and all the dash lights went haywire and the power steering light and brake lights flashed several times and the PS got real stiff-I was in a real bad area of town and real scared! I quickly located an AutoZone and they tested everything and the battery is holding charge. Every time I turn car on the headlights flicker and pause and dim. My rearview mirror has power to the compass but not the lights, the dome light is disabled by the mechanic who has ordered the part to install later. He swears he has completed a thorough check of the electrical harness and system!!!!!
    I have lost a week of work and am at a loss for what to do now.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information