2008 Saturn Aura XR - Serious Problems!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Saturn Aura XR - Serious Problems!

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Exclamation 2008 Saturn Aura XR - Serious Problems!

To whom it may concern: (Ron Strayhorn)

I just want to say right up front that we genuinely desire to resolve these issues equitably and professionally. We have gone the extra mile. We desire real action and help.

2008 Saturn Aura XR
    1G8ZV57788F136095
    Purchase Date: 7 Dec 09
    Current Mileage: 21,800
    Dealership: Rancho Grande Motors, San Luis Obispo, CA
    (An Authorized GM dealer)
    Total Days of Ownership: 48
    Total Days in Service/Repair: 24

FINAL DISPOSITION: Rancho Grande Motors Purchased Vehicle Back and Paid off the Loan.

Vehicle Service History

I. 07 Dec 09, Purchase / Delivery

II. 07 Dec 09, Identified wheel-finish defect

Shortly after finalizing our financing on the vehicle but prior to leaving the dealership, Dell Amir and I identified what appeared to be a manufacturing clear-coat defect on all of the rims. Dell Amir brought this to the attention of service manager, Brian who agreed to help work through this problem with the regional Saturn representative.

III. 11 Dec 09, Identified Right Front Wheel Noise

After having a few days to drive the vehicle under varying speeds and conditions (e.g. hwy vs. town), we identified a rumbling noise that varied with speed and appeared to be coming from the right front wheel. Brian had contacted us that same day and stated that the dealership would attempt to refinish the wheel defects previously identified on the day of purchase. We dialoged about the wheel noise and scheduled the vehicle to be brought in on Monday 14 Dec 09 to have the wheels refinished and to address the noise concern.

IV. 14 Dec 09, Vehicle Service Appointment: Rancho Grande Motors
    The vehicle was delivered at 1703L on 14 Dec 09 to have the service department address the following:
    1. Right front wheel noise
    2. Steering wheel squealing noise inside the cabin
    3. Wheel spoke / clear-coat pealing issue and refinishing identified on the day of purchase
    4. Remove and replace the right rear tire (non warranty item)
    5. Top off the fluids in preparation for our holiday trip

V. 18 Dec 09 - Vehicle Service Pickup

We were contacted by Rancho Grande on 17 Dec 09 and told that the vehicle was ready for pickup but that the wheels could not be refinished and would need to be ordered. The approximate delivery date was 29 Dec 09. The right front wheel bearing was found to be bad and was replaced under warranty. The service advisor stated that an alignment was not required. (I later confirmed this with an authorized Saturn dealership in Bakersfield, California.) The service advisor continued and stated that the steering wheel squealing issue is a problem GM is still attempting to resolve. The steering wheel noise was less of a concern over the wheel bearing and slashed tire. After a cursory inspection when the car was brought to the service area, I discovered that the fluids had not been topped-off as requested (specifically the antifreeze). I brought this to the attention of the service advisor and he immediately dispatched a mechanic to top off the fluids.

VI. 18 Dec 09 – Identified Vehicle Pull / Bounce / Imbalance

The car drove straight and true the week prior to 14 Dec 09, however, on the way home from the dealership after the new tire and wheel bearing had been installed, I noticed that the car was pulling to the right and I felt a bounce at 60mph from what felt like an imbalanced tire. We were slated to leave on vacation the start of the following week and it was too late to return to Ranch Grande to address the alignment problem or bouncing issue.

VII. 18 Dec 09 - Vehicle Service Appointment: Discount Tire – Santa Maria, CA
    After leaving the dealership that evening, we stopped at Discount Tire in Santa Maria to address the bouncing problem. They balanced the tires and rotated the newest tires to the front in preparation for our journey over Mt. Shasta. The bouncing problem is still present and is most prominent between 55 – 60mph. The visit to Discount Tire cost $70.00.

VIII. 20 Dec 09 – Vehicle Service Appointment: COSTCO, - Santa Maria, California
    I took the car to Costco in Santa Maria to have all 4 tires re-balanced and pressure checked. The problem was still present. The visit cost $16.00 for a complete rebalance.

IX. 21 Dec 09 – Identified Transmission Shudder
    First day of Christmas vacation: In addition to the alignment issue and tire bounce, I noted several concerns that appear to be transmission related. In an attempt to stay off the brakes during our journey over Mt. Shasta, I used ’manual’ (M5) quite a bit while traversing down the 6% grade. When the car was transitioning from acceleration to deceleration between 50 and 60mph, the transmission would unload and give a bounce / shudder until it was put back under load or placed into M6. The shudder was significant. Most of the trip was steady and on ‘cruise control’. The car behaves very well in 6th gear. We experienced a stretch of bumper-to-bumper traffic in Portland Oregon. The transmission was in normal drive mode and our speed was between 10 and 20mph. The transmission would engage hard on the 1-2 up shift and disengage hard on the 2-1 down shift. However, the more it occurred, the more I realized that it wasn’t a ‘hard shift’, rather it felt more like slop from the transmission twisting and engaging / disengaging. The same happens when decelerating in M5 anywhere between 55 and 60mph. When decelerating in M5 from 60mph, the transmission will unload and almost ‘clunk’. If the accelerator is then depressed to gently accelerate, the transmission re-engages and again a ‘clunk’ can be felt. There is no gear change occurring.

X. 23 Dec 09 - Vehicle Service Appointment: Saturn of Puyallup, Washington
    Third day of Christmas vacation: The transmission issues were of great concern so we took 5hrs of our vacation and had the dealership in Puyallup Washington take a look. They stated that it was possible the torque converter might not have been locking up correctly and so they reprogrammed the TCM. No improvement.

XI. 24 Dec 09 – Identified Transmission Whine on Remote Start
    The morning of the 24th, we remote started the vehicle from the hotel and when we approached the car we noticed a whine coming from the front of the vehicle. It sounded like a bad power steering pump but the sound was coming from the left wheel well area. This sound is present when the car is started cold and is NOT in the vicinity of the power steering pump, rather, in the vicinity of the transmission. We unlocked the vehicle and when the key was inserted and turned, the noise would cease.

XII. 27 Dec 09 - Vehicle Service Appointment: Discount Tire - Renton, Washington
    After enduring six days and 1300 miles of bouncing, I took the car to Discount Tire in an adjacent city and they discovered a tire with a high spot. Before they replaced the tire, they rebalanced all four tires again but discovered that the right front tire would not rebalance. They rotated the tire on the rim to line up the heavy spots and dialed it in as close as possible. We still experienced a bounce and suspected that the right front tire was bad. We did not have enough time to return to Discount Tire to have them replace the tire. The balance problem presented after the 18 December service visit at Rancho Grande.

XIII. 28 Dec 09 – Continued Transmission Shudder / Whine / Vehicle Bounce / Imbalance

The new TCM programming as installed by Saturn of Puyallup did not rectify the transmission problem and we experienced the same shudder / loading / unloading issues on the return home. At 1640L, I made an appointment with the Rancho Grande service department with the intent to leave the vehicle to rectify the imbalance, wheel refinishing, transmission issues, engine whine and alignment.

XIV. 29 Dec 09 - Vehicle Service Appointment: Rancho Grande Motors
    Dropped off vehicle with Rancho Grande service advisor to address the imbalance, wheel refinishing, transmission issues, engine whine and alignment. A copy of these issues was given to the service advisor and service manager.

XV. 5 Jan 2010 - Service Checkup: Rancho Grande
    As of 5 Jan 2010, we had not been contacted by the service advisor as to the progress or status of our vehicle. I was going out of town on business and wanted more information on what had been found and/or rectified. The service advisor was contacted on or about 1530L with a request for an update on the vehicle. He stated that the majority of the issues had been addressed but they were still loading new ECM / TCM program that had been built by GM engineers. The service advisor stated that the vehicle would be ready that evening but I elected to pick up the vehicle the following day to give them time to ‘operationally check’ the new programming and ensure all of the issues had been rectified. I agreed to let the service manager drive the vehicle home for the evening to personally inspect the programming and other fix actions that had been performed over the last week.
    XVI. 6 Jan 2010 - Vehicle Service Pickup: Rancho Grande Motors
    We drove to SLO and were told by the service advisor to speak directly with the Service Manager, Tim Vanalstine, who was personally handing our vehicle. Tim proceeded to explain the details of how they went about addressing the problems.
    1. The transmission ‘slop’ was one of my greatest concerns but the final service note was ‘20770 could not duplicate cust concern - working fine at this time’.
    2. The transmission whine or grinding that occurred when the vehicle was remote started was addressed through technical document P.I. #PIC4773B. This document drove the technician to inspect the torque converter. Loose torque converter bolts were found and tightened and the ECM / TCM were reprogrammed as well. This rectified the whine / grinding after remote start operations, and fixed the loose or sloppy transmission issues.
    3. The vehicle has pulled to the right since the visit on 18 Dec after the right front wheel bearing had been replaced. on 18 Dec. The problem was cited as ‘Radial Tire Pull’ and attributed to the bad tires that were later replaced. An alignment check was performed and the vehicle was within factory specifications.
    4. The wheel finish problem was rectified by replacing all four wheels.
    5. The imbalance issues and ‘shake at 60mph’ presented after the 18 Dec visit as well. All four tires were replaced and rebalanced on the new wheels as addressed above.

XVII. 6 Jan 2010 – Continued alignment and bounce/shudder problems
    My wife and I both took turns driving the vehicle home. We immediately noticed that the car still pulled to the right. The wheel is off-center (turned left) when the vehicle is going straight and the vehicle tends to wander requiring constant attention. (This is amplified under acceleration due to torque steer). It feels like an old car with a loose or worn rack and pinion or bad tie-rod ends. In addition, at 57-60mph we can still feel a bounce or wobble. When we arrived home that evening my wife asked if it was normal for the tire pressure to be over 40PSI. Using the on-board pressure monitoring system, I verified that all 4 tires were indeed over 40PSI. The RF= 42 and the LF=40 so I equalized them to 37PSI hoping that would fix the pull to the right. The tire pressure did not improve the alignment problem.

XVIII. 10 Jan 2010 - Identified Circulation Fan Chirp / Squeak
    On the way home from the LAX, we noted all of the issues addressed above in addition to yet another annoyance. When the fan is on AUTO at a low speed, it chirps or squeaks. It comes and goes but will chirp for several miles while maintaining cabin temperature. It goes away when the fan speed is increased. It becomes quite disturbing when your simulated mouse wants to take a ride with you to the airport. We are not ‘on the hunt’ and our senses are no more ‘keen’ than when we first purchased the vehicle. We simply desire to have any and all problems addressed before the vehicle runs out of warranty.

XIX. 11 Jan 2010 - Vehicle Service Appointment: Rancho Grande Motors
    This particular service appointment was at the request of the owner, Todd Reccord. His goal was to have the service manager drive with me in the hopes of identifying and rectifying these haunting problems (alignment / pull and shudder / bounce at 58-60mph) once and for all. The service manager and I test drove the vehicle together and he witnessed the alignment issue which pulled to the right from the left crown of the road. He also felt the bounce / shudder at 58-60mph. The fan problem is intermittent and could not be duplicated on the test drive but Tim is addressing that out of trust, faith and good customer service. Tim consulted the last alignment results and concluded that the caster was within specifications but out of tolerance for where it should be on a front wheel drive vehicle. He stated that the caster should be slightly advanced on the right side to offset the torque steer and it could be the reason for the drift. The vehicle has no caster alignment so he plans to loosen the cradle and move it forward enough to advance the caster and hopefully rectify the problem. A frequency analyzer and/or road force balancer would be used to identify the bounce / shudder and the heater blower motor will be replaced to fix the fan noise.

XX. 15 Jan 2010 - Vehicle Service Pickup: Rancho Grande Motors
    Picked up the car from the dealer at 1730L and was told that the tires were put on a Road Force balancer which corrected the ‘imbalance’ issue; the heater blower motor was replaced to rectify the chirping noise and the cradle was realigned to bring the right front camber into a positive configuration and rectify the pull. Within the first 5 miles after picking up the vehicle I was forced to reduce speed from 70 to just under 60 and I immediately noticed that the shudder was still present. At 57-59mph in 6th gear when feathering the throttle there is a prominent pulsation / shudder. I returned to the dealer, asked the service manager to ride with me and he too felt the shudder but said it was simply the characteristics of the vehicle and the design of the transmission. Given what has been replaced (tires, wheels, balancing, alignment), I have to conclude that it is a transmission / drive line / fuel management problem. Perhaps an imbalanced 1/2 shaft or bad torque converter / TCM.

XXI. 20 Jan 2010 - Continued transmission shudder
    My wife and I were returning from an adjacent town and again noticed the shuddering problem. This time it manifest on an incline while in cruise at 70mph. I backed the speed down to just below 60mph (while in cruise)...the car downshifted to maintain speed and the shudder was amplified. We crested the hill and the car would shudder while going down the backside as well.

XXII. 22 Jan 2010 - Sunset Chevrolet - Transmission Shudder - Service Visit
    We made an appointment with Sunset Chevrolet in Lompoc California and took a service advisor on a test drive to replicate the problem. He and I were able to easily replicate the issue exactly as described in the account on the 20th. He personally commented that there was something definitely wrong and of all the 3.6ltr 6spds he has driven, it didn't feel normal. I briefly told him about the wheel/tire history, the TCM reflashes and other pertinent information. We returned to the dealership and when he ran a history of the car, the only warranty repair he found was the wheel bearing. I pulled out all the records since the first service visit and showed him what had been done.

XXIII. 23 Jan 2010 - Sunset Chevrolet Service Update (phone call)
    Service advisor contacted me and stated that the Service Manager wanted to check the tire / wheel balance. There was no update on the transmission concerns it was brought in for. I reminded him of the new wheels and road-force tire balancing that had taken place prior but authorized the dealership to verify the balance if it would help them eliminate the possibility. I am concerned that it will 'undo' the former work if they do not use a road-force balancing machine.

XXIV. 27 Jan 2010 - Sunset Chevrolet Service Update
    The dealership called and said the car was ready for pickup early afternoon. They said they called the GM technical help-line who told them that the car has a known issue (vibration) from the 18" wheels on those vehicles. The advisor (corroborated by the manager) stated that they hooked a frequency analyzer on the seat bolt and the car measured within tolerance so there was nothing else they could do. "We cant just throw parts at it and GM wont either", stated the service manager. My issue was that we had still NOT reached a solution...so...I picked up the phone and ironically got the same lady at Saturn Customer Assistance. I explained verbatim what had just gone down and she said all of my additional issues were documented as part of the case and I will be hearing from the district service representative by 1pm the following day. I took 3 personal hours of vacation to drive down and have the service manager drive with me one last time to help duplicate the problem. We strapped the frequency analyzer on the car and off we went...down to my favorite stretch of highway. They dialed it in for 55-60mph and said the tolerances were .03 - .07. The vibration / pulsation / shudder measured .07. Because it was within tolerance, his hands were tied. He did state that they put on a set of 16" wheels from a Malibu and took it out. He said it was remarkably smoother. I suspect it was due to the extra 3" of sidewall but that is just me.

XXV. 28 Jan 2010 - Sunset Chevrolet Service Update
    Vehicle pickup.
    Picked up vehicle from Sunset Chevrolet with no course of action and no money to hire legal representation.

XXVI. 28 Jan 2010 - Call from Rancho Grande Motors Service Manager
    The service manager from Rancho Grande Motors called stating that the GM rep would be by that morning and asked if I could bring the car in. Given my work schedule, I was unable to accommodate them but we had a good dialog about what Sunset found with the vehicle and the borderline tolerances that we found on the last test drive. He asked if there was anything I would like to address and my reply was simple, "My desire would be for GM to buy the car back but short of that, perhaps an extended warranty."

XXVII. 29 Jan 2010 - Call from Rancho Grande Motors GM
    The general manager from the originating dealer called this morning and said for us to simply bring the vehicle back. He said that they would reclaim the vehicle and pay off the loan with no strings attached. We arranged a time to take the car back the following day.

XXVIII. 30 Jan 2010 - Rancho Grande Motors - Vehicle Buy Back
    Case closed. Vehicle was reclaimed by originating dealer.

David
    Central Coast California
    Last edited by stryker77; 01-31-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Update Service Information / Metrics

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: 2008 Saturn Aura XR - Serious Problems!

Sounds like a lemon law vehicle. Every manufacturer has vehicles that are built that are just NOT done correctly..

I don't quite understand each of your issues...but...if you feel they are serious..

I would go to see an attorney to properly process a lemon law procedure.

good luck and thanks for sharing your experience.

Sometimes crap happens to even the best in the industry.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Sounds like a lemon law vehicle.
    No doubt! I bought it used and have done some limited research on the 'used' lemon law provisions in California but don't know if I have too much leverage. I will be consulting an attorney to fill the gaps and help understand my rights.

My goal here was to use this forum as one of many platforms by which to petition directly to the manufacturer to offer them the opportunity acknowledge and rectify the problem before things go legal.

Thanks

I notice that you've spent a fair amount of time in various tire shops and some with the service department of the selling company. Have you addressed your concerns with the salesperson or the sales department that sold the car?
    I don't know the company you dealt with but that would be one of my first stops in the companies I usually deal with.
    Another question: Was this GM Certified Pre Owned?

Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71
    Pontiac G5

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Camry SE

I had a great experience with the GM "Customer Dissatisfaction Buyback Department" regarding my Saturn a few months ago. I don't know how it would work/ if they would be obligated with a used car. Additionally my car would intermittently not start, which was more serious then your issues. Also, I think it helped that they got sick of paying for my rental car the numerous times the car failed.

Thanks

My initial reaction was that you were getting the run-around from the dealer. However, after reading the entire post, it seems that they have gone far beyond the minimum to understand and deal with the problems your Aura seems to be plagued with. I would agree that this falls under the lemon law, and wonder what the original owners thought of the car as well.

As a side note, the folks over at Renton Discount Tires are great! Renton is my hometown!

Good luck with a resolution. I hope your dealer can satisfy you!
    R.I.P:
    - 1993 Chevy Blazer 4x4
    - 1980 Pontiac Firebird
    - 1968 Dodge Dart

You will all be missed!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

There is a recall on your car. I find it odd that there is not much history of repairs in the system for this unit. It may be different there but in Florida there is no lemon law on used cars.

VIN : 1G8ZV57788F136095
    VEHICLE INFORMATION
    Merchandising Model : ZZV69 -2008 SATURN AURA XR 4DR SEDAN Warranty Start Date : 08/08/2008
    BARS Order Type : 70 - RETAIL - STOCK
    Delivering Dealer : N/A Selling Source : N/A
    Site Code : N/A
    Business Associate Code : N/A
    Service Contract : Yes Branded Title : No Warranty Block : No PDI Status : Open
    REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS
    Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns
    SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS
    Type Number Description Posted Date Status
    EI 09137 POSSIBLE WHEEL/TIRE VIBRATION , VEH EQUIPPED P225/50R18 (TSB 09-03-10-009) 06/11/2009 See Bulletin

ON STAR AND XM SATELLITE RADIO INFORMATION
    OnStar Equipped Yes OnStar Status Inactive Refer to Help page for details or:go to OnStar Online Enrollment (located on the "OnStar" tab in GM InfoNET) or (888)ONSTAR1 (888) 667-8271.
    XM Equipped Yes XM Radio ID U3U7W0HN XM Status Inactive Refer to Help page for details or: www.xmradio.gm.ca or Dealer Hotline 1.877.GET.XMST (1-877-438-9677).
    APPLICABLE WARRANTIES
    Description Effective Date Effective Odometer End Date End Odometer
    36/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER LIMITED WARRANTY 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2011 36375 miles
    72/100000 SHEET METAL COVERAGE RUST THROUGH LIMITED WARRANTY 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2014 100375 miles
    60/100000 POWERTRAIN COVERAGE LIMITED WARRANTY 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2013 100375 miles
    96/80000 FEDERAL EMISSION CATALYTIC CONV. AND PCM 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2016 80375 miles
    96/100000 CALIFORNIA SELECT COMPONENT 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2016 100375 miles
    36/50000 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2011 50375 miles
    CLAIM HISTORY
    R.O Date R.O Number Type Labor Operation Odometer Reading
    12/14/2009 310533 # E2320 - FRONT WHEEL BEARING AND HUB REPLACEMENT 17974 miles

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4doors View Post
    Have you addressed your concerns with the salesperson or the sales department that sold the car? ... Another question: Was this GM Certified Pre Owned?
    I attempted to address my concerns with the sales department and was quickly headed off by the GM of the dealership. He assured me the service technicians were competent to handle the issue. In essence, he didnt want to eat the cost of the vehicle on a trade or buy back and simply wanted to wait until we were able to see the results of this service visit. I just don't think the service department was seeing my issues in the same light as I was...regardless of the fact that they were still making money on all the repeat warranty work.

We bought the car with 17,000mi and it was not GM certified pre-owned.
    Last edited by stryker77; 01-22-2010 at 10:59 PM.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crooner214 View Post
    ..>They have gone far beyond the minimum to understand and deal with the problems...

Renton Discount Tires are great!
    The dealership petitioned to GM to replaced entire sets of wheels, tires, starters, wheel bearings...etc, etc. GM covered everything and the General Manager later told me that they didn't come out of pocket at all on the deal (e.g. no risk). They just simply didn't fix the issue. I am taking it down to another Chevy dealer today who might be more in tune with the 3.6ltr and 6speed quirks. Then I go get a lawyer.

Does anyone know if GM corporate leadership actually read these posts?

Nathan at Renton discount tire was great and epitomized Discount Tire professionalism. Great guy and great service!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

The 3.6 and 6 speed is KNOWN to have a transmission shudder in 5/6th gear. Its pretty common and most people have a TCM (transmission control module) reflash. That usually makes it less noticeable but it wont go away. Its normal for any tranny to shudder at low RPMs with a load on it especially in the higher gears as the transmission has less mechanical advantage to move the car.

Reprogrammed TCM with latest calibrations with shift quality updates/improvements. E.
    Programming code 404D6.
    For what its worth, my 09 Malibu (4cyl though) has warm tire pressure of over 40. It gives the best feel and ride due to the low profile tires. At factory spec (32) it feels like a huge mush mobile.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by linton23 View Post
    There is a recall on your car. I find it odd that there is not much history of repairs in the system for this unit. It may be different there but in Florida there is no lemon law on used cars.

VIN : 1G8ZV57788F136095
    VEHICLE INFORMATION
    Merchandising Model : ZZV69 -2008 SATURN AURA XR 4DR SEDAN Warranty Start Date : 08/08/2008
    BARS Order Type : 70 - RETAIL - STOCK
    Delivering Dealer : N/A Selling Source : N/A
    Site Code : N/A
    Business Associate Code : N/A
    Service Contract : Yes Branded Title : No Warranty Block : No PDI Status : Open

REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS

Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns

SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS
    Type Number Description Posted Date Status

EI 09137 POSSIBLE WHEEL/TIRE VIBRATION , VEH EQUIPPED P225/50R18 (TSB 09-03-10-009) 06/11/2009 See Bulletin

ON STAR AND XM SATELLITE RADIO INFORMATION
    OnStar Equipped Yes OnStar Status Inactive Refer to Help page for details or:go to OnStar Online Enrollment (located on the "OnStar" tab in GM InfoNET) or (888)ONSTAR1 (888) 667-8271.
    XM Equipped Yes XM Radio ID U3U7W0HN XM Status Inactive Refer to Help page for details or: www.xmradio.gm.ca or Dealer Hotline 1.877.GET.XMST (1-877-438-9677).

APPLICABLE WARRANTIES
    Description Effective Date Effective Odometer End Date End Odometer

36/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER LIMITED WARRANTY 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2011 36375 miles

72/100000 SHEET METAL COVERAGE RUST THROUGH LIMITED WARRANTY 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2014 100375 miles
    60/100000 POWERTRAIN COVERAGE LIMITED WARRANTY 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2013 100375 miles
    96/80000 FEDERAL EMISSION CATALYTIC CONV. AND PCM 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2016 80375 miles
    96/100000 CALIFORNIA SELECT COMPONENT 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2016 100375 miles
    36/50000 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS 08/08/2008 375 miles 08/08/2011 50375 miles

CLAIM HISTORY
    R.O Date R.O Number Type Labor Operation Odometer Reading
    12/14/2009 310533 # E2320 - FRONT WHEEL BEARING AND HUB REPLACEMENT 17974 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by stryker77 View Post
    I attempted to address my concerns with the sales department and was quickly headed off by the GM of the dealership. He assured me the service technicians were competent to handle the issue. In essence, he didnt want to eat the cost of the vehicle and wanted to wait until I walked in with a lawyer to resolve the issues quickly. I just don't think the service department was seeing my issues in the same light as I was...regardless of the fact that they were still making money on all the repeat warranty work.

We bought the car with 17,000mi and it was not GM certified pre-owned.
    Without correct and comprehensive information concerning the first approximately 16 months & 17,000 miles of ownership - you and others are being real quick to jump on GM - who may also be getting the short end of the stick here.

Given that, I'll come back with an alternative speculation also not founded in fact - that at least some substantial part of this story is about that previous ownership interval, another substantial part has to do with various departments at your selling Dealer - including but most definitely not limited to the Service Department.

While it cannot be pinned down in detail, if we work with the basic concept of personal responsibility - and how that applies in the work place - then, your selling Dealer is definitely your main weak link here - in an external sense.

Btw, given the description you provided - something does not quite make sense as to your Discount Tire stop - maybe I need to read that again.

Personally, on the face of it...... I'd be done screwing around. More than likely if your story checked out, I'd make your selling Dealer eat the car - less a reasonable amount for mileage and time driven but also plus some and possible more -

Then again, I tend to be very intolerant of certain things, I'm not you, there maybe other considerations that matter, we do not have the other side of the story, and I do not want to jump to conclusions.

I would also look in the mirror and remind myself that you need to check out any used vehicle bought from anybody - " carefully " - including prior histories.

I'm truly sorry you are going through all this - it ain't right ..... but really, besides whatever could be said about all others in this chain whatever that would mean and whoever that would include.... with perfect information, you need to be more careful about who and how you do business with - and what you pick to purchase.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Cool Re: 2008 Saturn Aura XR - Serious Problems!

[QUOTE=AMERICA 123;1954715]Without correct and comprehensive information concerning the first approximately 16 months & 17,000 miles of ownership - you and others are being real quick to jump on GM
    -----------------------------

First, I thought this was a fantastic and very objective post! I appreciate your candor and honesty.

You are correct...as with any used vehicle that is purchased from a dealer, few will actually know how a car has been treated. You can often judge a book by the cover though. If the test drive is solid (understanding you will NOT take a car through all possible scenarios), the CARFAX checks out and the car doesnt have dings, scrapes and damage that is indicative of neglect or abuse, then one has to assume it has been mechanically taken care of as well. I don't call myself a motor head but I have a technical background and have owned / repaired many vehicles. My test drives are spent disecting, feeling, op checking every component, feeling the transmission travel between reverse and drive...you get my point. While I have very little trust for used dealers, this one is a GMC, Buick, Cadillac dealer in a prominent California college town. Needless to say, they have alot to lose by selling an abused and/or lemon that would best be sold at an auction over ruining a solid reputation. All of these balanced factors weigh in when purchasing a vehicle.

Given the condition of the car, I do fault GM and not the former owner...because...:

1) The wheel finish issue was the same on every wheel. Every wheel had the same markings / flaking problems. This was an indication (to me) that the wheels had not been properly prepped prior to clear coat application. GM would not have replaced them if it was due to abuse. Workmanship
    2) There is a KNOWN shuddering problem with the 6T70 transmissions (evidently) and I have a transmisison shudder (bad!). Workmanship
    3) There is a TSB on the loose torque converter bolts and I had a noise on remote start that was rectified by tightening the bolts and replacing the starter. Workmanship
    4) There is a bulletin on tire vibration. The Goodyear OEM tires are rated 5.4 on Tirerack and don't get high marks. It could have been a slipped belt or manufacturing defect...heck, the former owner probably hit a squirl; regardless, they rotated the tires many times and the car still had a radial pull...they replaced all of the tires. This is the ONLY NON-GM workmanship issue of note.
    5) Heater blower motor chirping was bad bearings. Workmanship

The Discount Tire stop was to fix a very distinct tire defect / imbalance. I picked the car up just as the dealership was closing on a Friday and we were leaving on vacation the following Monday.
    Last edited by stryker77; 01-24-2010 at 12:27 AM.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

[QUOTE=bballr4567;1954507]The 3.6 and 6 speed is KNOWN to have a transmission shudder in 5/6th gear....Its normal for any tranny to shudder at low RPMs with a load on it especially in the higher gears as the transmission has less mechanical advantage to move the car. [QUOTE]

Whats interesting is I pulled the car back into M4 up a hill at 58-60mph and it was shuddering like no tomorrow. Its gotten to the point that it doesnt matter what gear its in. Waiting for the tranny to fall out...
    Last edited by stryker77; 01-24-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

That is the MPH that it does it at.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Update: Local Chevrolet dealer has the car and the service technician was able to replicate the problem on a test drive...FINALLY! He personally thought that there was something definitely wrong and of all the 3.6ltr 6spds he has driven, it didn't feel normal. I told him the brief history, the TCM reflashes and other pertenant information (without causing bias) but when he ran a history of the car, the only repair he found was the wheel bearing. Hmmmm... So I pulled out all the records and showed him what had been done to corroborate my story. He thought it was interesting that no one had input any of these issues. Without implying that this is a coverup, is there a requirement to input repairs into some global GM database or is it elective?
    Last edited by stryker77; 01-23-2010 at 08:33 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information