2008 Malibu door lock actuators

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Malibu door lock actuators

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

2008 Malibu door lock actuators

I've got a 2008 Chev Malibu LTZ. It's just outside of warranty by roughly an oil change (3,500 miles / 3 months). The driver's rear door lock actuator fails to lock the door (a safety issue IMO). When I called to setup a schedule appt, the service manager exclaimed "oh, we see that all the time -- I know right what it is". A quick google shows that it's a fairly common issue: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=7950

Well, sure enough, being out of warranty, GM doesn't want to step up and cover any part of the repair bill. I even pursued getting a case number and making an appeal to the regional service manager. I've purchased two brand new Chevrolet's in my short lifetime (one was a $40k+ suburban!) and have been a long-time GM fan since I was a kid. I've been fortunate enough to say that every GM vehicle of mine has been dependable and relatively trouble free. I'm a reasonable guy: they could've offered to split the bill and I'd have been happy. I'm now very dissatisfied and will never purchase another GM vehicle! Hope the $200 they saved was worth it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Re: 2008 Malibu door lock actuators

In all fairness, you ARE out of warranty. Not many companies do repairs out of warranty.

On the other hand, it is common.

FWIW, I think you can still purchase a bumper to bumper GMPP warranty from a certain Cadillac dealership if you want to go that route. Its not that expensive and will save you the headache later on.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

You're the original owner of the car? Spent some money with the selling dealer during the life of the car?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yes, the car is outside of warranty .. but the bigger picture is this: I was a loyal, repeat GM customer with a vehicle that barely made it outside of warranty before a poorly-designed part failed. If GM would've offered to split the bill or made me pay a deductible, I'd have no gripes. The dealership doing the service is not the dealership I purchased the vehicle at.. but I've had a ton of work done at this dealerships service shop before on my other vehicles - and they (as a goodwill gesture I appreciated) took a small amount off the bill.

If GM feels it's acceptable to have their vehicles "last" just outside of warranty, then I guess I'm free to look at other manufacturers to hold themselves to a higher standard.

Thanks

There is no "higher standard". It's a myth that might have once had some basis in fact, but hasn't for years. Don't take my word for it, a search of these forums will bear it out for your own eyes.

Hondas and Toyotas haven't been "bulletproof" for over a decade. Your Bavarian mystique BMW's are made in Alabama. Think they lowered the price when they moved?

When a dealer tries to bill GM for repairs out of warranty, GM calls it "reconditioning used cars" and it's a big, BIG, NO NO. But GM can do it, and they call it "Customer Satisfaction". A manufacturer is the greatest when they cover probs out of warranty, and the worst when they don't. Trust me, I've heard it ever since they first started doing it. "I'm not gonna buy another GM product." Think they respond well to threats?

I've dealt with GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Isuzu in my 30+ years in this business. None of them go out of their way like GM does with customers, with Ford, Mitsubishi, and Isuzu being tied for dead last. But GM still doesn't always say yes.

That's what they make service contracts for.

Reminds me of the news story about the people's house burning down because they didn't pay the $75 fee for fire coverage. "Never thought it would happen to us", was their excuse. Well it does happen. Cars (any manufacturer) are made by humans and robots. They break.

When you purchased your car (if you financed it) you entered into a legal agreement. They warranteed the car to perform for x miles/x months. You agreed to pay x payments for x months. What if you paid your last payment, and they came back and asked you for more money?

It's the same thing when you ask them to fix something out of warranty. They did what they contracted with you to do. Now you want them to do more.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    There is no "higher standard". It's a myth that might have once had some basis in fact, but hasn't for years. Don't take my word for it, a search of these forums will bear it out for your own eyes.

Hondas and Toyotas haven't been "bulletproof" for over a decade. Your Bavarian mystique BMW's are made in Alabama. Think they lowered the price when they moved?

When a dealer tries to bill GM for repairs out of warranty, GM calls it "reconditioning used cars" and it's a big, BIG, NO NO. But GM can do it, and they call it "Customer Satisfaction". A manufacturer is the greatest when they cover probs out of warranty, and the worst when they don't. Trust me, I've heard it ever since they first started doing it. "I'm not gonna buy another GM product." Think they respond well to threats?

I've dealt with GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Isuzu in my 30+ years in this business. None of them go out of their way like GM does with customers, with Ford, Mitsubishi, and Isuzu being tied for dead last. But GM still doesn't always say yes.

That's what they make service contracts for.

Reminds me of the news story about the people's house burning down because they didn't pay the $75 fee for fire coverage. "Never thought it would happen to us", was their excuse. Well it does happen. Cars (any manufacturer) are made by humans and robots. They break.

When you purchased your car (if you financed it) you entered into a legal agreement. They warranteed the car to perform for x miles/x months. You agreed to pay x payments for x months. What if you paid your last payment, and they came back and asked you for more money?

It's the same thing when you ask them to fix something out of warranty. They did what they contracted with you to do. Now you want them to do more.
    Hey, I hear where you are coming from -- and I know GM has to draw the line somewhere.. but none-the-less, I'm stuck footing the bill for a replacing a poorly-designed part that didn't last but an oil change out of warranty. GM made a business decision - that's their right. Just like it's mine to use this forum, word of mouth, and several other pieces of social media to complain about, what I feel, is a very short-sighted decision. Shame on them for not stepping up and taking care of a loyal, repeat customer on such a small bill - and on an issue they know darn well is a faulty/poorly-engineered design. And like I mentioned: I'm reasonable -- if the car would've had 5k more on it, or 6 more months on it, I would've written it off as "tough luck". If GM wanted me to pay some sort of deductable, I'd have been willing to do that as well. They didn't even make an effort. Shame on them.

Thanks

So, "shame on them" for not stepping up and taking care of such a "small bill".

So when you're engine fails on a Ford, Honda, or Toyota over 60k (their powertrain warranty) it will be "shame on them x $$$$?

I think I'd rather foot the bill for the small stuff, and let them cover the big ticket items. But I'd be glad to put it up to a popular vote...

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Where does it end though? 5k is a lot of mileage over in terms of percentage.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Where does it end though? 5k is a lot of mileage over in terms of percentage.
    Well.. for me it ends here.
    I ate the bill/didn't complain when I had to pay to have my fuel injectors replaced on my Cutlass
    I ate the bill/didn't complain when I had to pay to have my intake manifold gasket replaced on my Blazer
    I ate the bill/didn't complain when I had to pay to have my window regulator motors repalced on my Suburban

You catching my drift here: I'M COMPLETELY FED UP of covering for GM's faulty/lack-luster engineering issues with my hard-earned money.. especially when I've got a car that can't make it ONE FREAKING OIL CHANGE out of warranty without hitting me in the wallet. So yes, for me, this was the last straw.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

As it will be with ANY OTHER COMPANY. It happens to everyone. It sucks when it happens to you but when YOU didnt cover YOURSELF, you learn from it.

That is all Im saying.

If you want them to cover it 3500 miles out of warranty, why wont they cover it at 35000? What about the person that has a motor blow at 103500 miles? Its still out of warranty. It sucks but its the way it happens.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    As it will be with ANY OTHER COMPANY. It happens to everyone. It sucks when it happens to you but when YOU didnt cover YOURSELF, you learn from it.

That is all Im saying.

If you want them to cover it 3500 miles out of warranty, why wont they cover it at 35000? What about the person that has a motor blow at 103500 miles? Its still out of warranty. It sucks but its the way it happens.
    Yup, I didn't cover myself! Next time I'll know: if you buy a GM vehicle then you are going to need to back it up with an extended warranty. Trust me, it's been well-noted.

Thanks

In all fairness, those locks fail all the damn time for no reason. I had 3 door locks go out in my Aura more than once, and 2 were the ones that never got used, the back doors. I even had my car set up to only unlock the driver door when the FOB was pressed once. The driver door went out, took it in and they said the actuator was worn out. That happened around 12,000 miles.

About 4 months later, the rear doors went out within 1 week of each other. Same thing, the actuator was worn out. They replaced them and the one behind the driver went out roughly 10,000 miles later or about a year.

They should offer free replacement for all Aura/Malibu/G6 owners.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.

"I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

Thanks

As previously stated, they stood behind the vehicle to the limit of the warranty. If you want more coverage than that, buy it.

Absolutely no difference in you asking them to fix it out of warranty than them coming back and asking you for more money for the vehicle. None whatsoever.

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

File a complaint with the NTSB. State that the doors dont lock and fail to unlock and that will get their attention. Enough complaints and you will get a free replacement with the same parts.

cmutt, ANY COMPANY would do the same thing. You are out of warranty. Now, if it was 350 miles, sure, I could see the complaint being more valid but you are 3 months over warranty. Ford wont replace the lock if you were 3500 miles out. Hyundai wont. Neither will Chrysler. Good luck getting BMW to do it.

Its just business. MrCritical put it great with the bank analogy. If the bank wanted an extra 3 payments just because they loaned you the money would you do it? Probably not just a no but a hell no.

Do you think its fair to ask the same of GM and your dealership?

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

In GMs defense, you did have a warranty. It is unfortunate that the part failed outside of it. As mentioned any, most any other auto company would have done the same thing.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information