2007 Pontiac G6 Engine Overheating/Bad Gaskets

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Pontiac G6 Engine Overheating/Bad Gaskets

Walking
    Thanks

Wink 2007 Pontiac G6 Engine Overheating/Bad Gaskets

I have been driving a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT V6 3.5 Sedan Auto Transmission since 2007 that I bought used with little over 12k miles on it and came with lots of fun and fancy warranties. The problems began around October 2009, Lemme start from the top of the stack of dealer invoices from all the "warranty" work I have had done:

Invoice #1: (And I quote) "11/16/09...Mileage: 76,607...CUST STATES HAS TO ADD COOLANT....REAR HEAD GASKET LEAKING COOLANT EXTERNALLY AT DRIVERS REAR CORNER OF CLY. HEAD REPLACED RIGHT BANK CYL. HEAD GASKET." -I drive away seemingly relieved that when my car powered down from driving 75 mph on the interstate that I just so happened to be going down a mountain where an exit with a gas station luckily was. Other than noticing the temp gage reading slightly higher than it used to with daily driving, everything seemed fine for a couple of months.

Invoice #2: "12/10/09...Mileage: 77199...CUSTOMER STATES TEMPERATURE GAGE IS READING HIGH AND VEHICLE HAS NO HEAT HAS GMPP MAJOR GUARD...PRESSURE TESTED COOLING SYSTEM FOUND WATER PUMP LEAKING COOLANT REPLACED WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY" -The innocent few degrees my thermometer had been reading higher than normal took its toll, after freezing in December temps with no heat and a hot engine, I was told everything checked out ok.

Invoice #3: "6/21/10...Mileage: 84690...CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE IS OVER HEATING STATES GAGE PEGS OUT AND HAS ADDED COOLANT HAS GMPP EXTENDED WARRANTY...ADDED COOLANT AND TESTED COOLING SYSTEM FOUND NO LEAKS, TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND DID OVERHEAT ON TEST DRIVE, RAN ON GM TECH 2 SCAN TOOL NO DTC'S STORED IN SYSTEM, TESTED COOLING FAN CIRCUITS ALL PASSED. CHECKED FOUND THERMOSTAT STICKING CLOSED CAUSING TO OVERHEAT...REPLACED THERMOSTAT WITH COOLANT...IS OK AT THIS TIME"- At this point, I am a little annoyed but just ready to get my car back on the road because I was supposed to be going on vacation and third time's a charm, right?

Invoice #4: (6 days later & notice the mileage log from the previous invoice vs. this one) "6/28/10...Mileage: 83317...CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE WAS JUST IN FOR OVERHEATING CONCERN AND STATES VEHICLE IS STILL OVERHEATING...TESTED COOLING SYSTEM W/CHEMICAL BLOCK TEST FAILED 3 TIMES ON COLD START UP. REMOVED BOTH HEAD GASKETS AND SENT HEADS TO MACHINE SHOP TO BE CHECKED FOR CRACKS AND WARPAGE. HEADS HAD TO BE MACHINED DUE TO WARPAGE, REPLACED HEAD GASKET SET W/BOLTS, COOLANT, SEALANT, SEALS....OK AT THIS TIME."-Yep. Another replaced set of head gaskets. This was on Father's Day in 90 degree weather and everyone is out of town, so I get to wait on the side of a busy street and pray that the tow truck driver doesn't run me/pedestrians/traffic over trying to get to my car. 22 days in the shop later, they tell me once again that 'it really is fixed this time'

Invoice #5: Keep in mind that, right before I took it in for the mechanical problems, on my way to a job interview I was pumping gas with the keys in it and sunroof open and only the driver's side door unlocked and when I go to open the door handle, the whole handle comes off in my hand. Imagine the look on mawmaw and pawpaw's face pumping gas on the pump beside me when I had to crawl back in by the sunroof with a suit jacket and skirt on barefoot and cursing up a storm, but that's neither here nor there..."09/09/10...Mileage: 85868. CUST STATES CK VEHICLE IS GETTING HOT CHECKED FOUND HEATER HOSE CONNECTOR LEAKING COOLANT CAUSING VEHICLE TO OVERHEAT. REMOVED AND REPLACED HEATER HOSE CONNECTOR AND TOPPED OFF W/NEW COOLANT." I was told this repair was not covered by my warranty and was obligated to pay the $60.82 for a hose and some screws (they could've at least thrown in dinner somewhere), not to mention $144.25 for a 6" piece of painted plastic for a door handle...(I'm not even gonna go there) But it really is fixed this time ma'am....

Invoice #6: So I gotta admit, my love/hate relationship with this car was starting to be loving again at this point because I had forgotten all about the rotten smell of leaking coolant and awful sound of the dinging from a powering down notification, and was all about smoking the kid with the cavalier at the red light just because I could...time heals all wounds, right??
    "4/21/11...Mileage: 92344...CUST STATES SHUT DOWN ON INTERSTATE CAN SMELL COOLANT TOWED IN FOUND RADIATOR CAP AND TOP HOSE OFF INSTALLED CAP AND HOSE ADDED COOLANT PERFORMED PRESSURE TEST...OK" -After almost getting ran off the road by a tractor trailer and t-boned by a car once mine powered down while going 70mph (again, and there is NO power steering, electrical, etc. at this point), I waited around for a tow truck with my mom picking me up like I'm in middle school again, rented a minivan because that was the only thing available (it was a flipping sweet minivan though) and guzzled through $50 in gas with this shaggin wagon going back and forth, only for the good ol' GM Certified Service Technician to tell me that, 'I have no idea why your car would just have blown the radiator cap and hose off by itself, that is physically and mechanically impossible...are you sure you don't have any enemies trying to mess with you? Someone had to have done this to you...' So now, not only am I out another $250 for parts, labor, rental and towing, I have an enemy ghost out to get me. I'll remember this prank next time someone thinks they want a piece of me....

And....(drum roll please)...Invoice #7: TBA because I picked my friend up from the airport 45 miles away over the weekend and while I was giving her a ride to a family reunion, my ghosts of enemies past must have wanted a retrial because, low and behold, my radiator cap and hose was magically and mysteriously blown off again (!) and my car decided to pull a Casper and power down on me while I was driving....again....

So again I call the tow truck....and again I take it to the dealership for repair....and again I have a rental...and again I talk to Carl from Pontiac customer service who assures me that, Once this issue is resolved, is there anything else he can help me with today? We shall see....a formal written complaint to the Attorney General and corporate General Motors and legal advice from 3 different consumer attorneys later...I better make sure I mention those friendly ghostly enemies of mine, I would hate to be held in contempt of court for witholding information pertaining to the matter at hand.

So....any suggestions/comments/laughs before I want to drive off a cliff? I have gap!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2007 Pontiac G6 Engine Overheating/Bad Gaskets

Who owned the car before you did?

Please don't say it was a daily rental.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Who owned the car before you did?

Please don't say it was a daily rental.
    It was a demo or so they said....I guess it's a possibility?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

I hate to say this but it sounds like the first "fix" really screwed up the car. Everything fixed after that seems to just be from them not bolting stuff back together.

Walking
    Thanks

I honestly just want something to happen and for the dealerships to stop patting me on the head and saying, "Ok sweetie, we got you taken care of..." and sending me on my merry little way only to drive off the lot and have an internal combustion in my engine that blows up my car and everything in it within a 5 mile radius. I already had made a mistake in financing the thing and it just might cost me my arm and leg....really!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sonic RS, 2013 Focus 5dr

What a ****ty service dept your dealer has. Who would replace a head gasket without at least checking the water pump & thermostat at the same time? Head gaskets don't leak for no reason.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scout62 View Post
    What a ****ty service dept your dealer has. Who would replace a head gasket without at least checking the water pump & thermostat at the same time? Head gaskets don't leak for no reason.
    Kinda what I was thinking...but what do I know? I'm just a sweet girl trying to get my car fixed, right?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm.........If you indeed have the GMPP extended warranty almost everything
    should be covered as well as having trip interruption service/free car rental no?
    As well as the GM 5/100k powertrain new car warranty to boot.

If your cooling system is popping off the hoses and radiator cap you have a
    serious engine problem!

I would be having a serious talk with that dealers service manager and demanding
    a refund on the other repairs!

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    Hmmm.........If you indeed have the GMPP extended warranty almost everything
    should be covered as well as having trip interruption service/free car rental no?
    As well as the GM 5/100k powertrain new car warranty to boot.

If your cooling system is popping off the hoses and radiator cap you have a
    serious engine problem!

I would be having a serious talk with that dealers service manager and demanding
    a refund on the other repairs!
    I tried explaining that to the GM service technician, and he point blank told me that there is no logical reason for the hoses and caps to be popping off like that, all the tests they ran came back perfectly fine and that someone was blatantly doing this to me....as in someone was coming to my house, getting in my driveway, breaking into my car to pop the hood and unscrewing the radiator cap and pulling off the hose and pointing and laughing when they watched me drive away. I can't wait to see what they say once they get to my car this time around I'll def keep posting....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

That's an awful lot of miles (12k) for a "demo".

Go to the service department and ask them for a copy of the options breakdown. They can print it off in a few seconds, no problem.

Look for the words, "fleet" or "Avis" or any rental car company's name in their anywhere.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    That's an awful lot of miles (12k) for a "demo".

Go to the service department and ask them for a copy of the options breakdown. They can print it off in a few seconds, no problem.

Look for the words, "fleet" or "Avis" or any rental car company's name in their anywhere.
    I'll keep you posted on what's going on...I really appreciate your feedback. I'm hoping I will have something to show a lawyer because I have given GM 7 times to fix an issue that is supposed to be their responsibility, What would happen if they gave me 7 times to fufill my end of the bargain (aka making payments, no insurance, etc.)?

Walking
    Thanks

*UPDATE*: GM is offering to replace the engine altogether......hmm.....what to do?

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Just take it to another dealership. Seriously. Thank the current dealership for their hard work but you are there too often to trust them with a engine replacement.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Just take it to another dealership. Seriously. Thank the current dealership for their hard work but you are there too often to trust them with a engine replacement.
    I agree! I am waiting on a call back from a mediator at the attorney general's office to see whether or not I can just have GM buy the effing car back. The closest GM dealership other than the 2 I've had to work on it is 68 miles away...I'll be too happy once all this is done and over with!

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Ugh, that sucks. Workmanship has certainly gone downhill, especially those being paid for warranty work it seems like. Really pitiful.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information