2006 G6 Wonderful Electric Power Steering FAILURE

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 G6 Wonderful Electric Power Steering FAILURE

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

2006 G6 Wonderful Electric Power Steering FAILURE

Well the electric steering assist finally went south today in my wonderful Pontiac G6 today... Have to shut off my car and start it every 5 minutes to try and get my electric assist back by the super duper wonderfully designed system GM come up with for these cars...

I know there is an extended warranty out now on these column's but since my car had gotten smashed up A little before and got a rebuilt title on it, the warranty would not apply to me even though the electric steering has worked 2 years+ since the car got fixed... and is a problem with just about every other 2006 g6 owner...

My blood is just boiling right now about this fine POS automobile... GM, hear this... This is the LAST LAST LAST car I will ever buy from you, EVER.... There is always something wrong with these cars. my buddy's 05 is even worse then mine... The car falls apart around you save the engine and maybe the tranny, even then they can't shift right to save their lives....

Going to do like my father has been doing for 15 years when this car is paid for, buy Ford's... No Ford's in our family give us these kind of headache's... Just all the GM's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2006 G6 Wonderful Electric Power Steering FAILURE

Go somewhere else and try to pull that crap.

A rebuilt title isn't "smashed up a little".

GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota...NO ONE WARRANTIES TOTALED CARS!

Thanks

I found that rebuilt title cars are not always done right, because they try to make money on it. So this means not enought time & money is spent to fix it right. Thus the insurance claims it a total loss to repair it. Ex. http://www.progressive.com/claims/total-loss.aspx
    I almost bought a car that was a salvage title, then said not worth it. The insurance know it's not worth the real value anymore. it's a frankensteincar. I would not blame GM on this, there maybe a wire being pinched, sensor not line right or not recalibrated right. Trust me I wonder about this on new cars too. I like the old fashion way. I wonder if BIG RIGS may have this someday. I know some mechanics say it will never hapen because of the stress they take. I look at this airplanes drive, steer & brake technology. It's trickling down to cars.

this is my take. Who rebuild this total loss? are they the shady tree mechanics? I'm a shady tree mechanic, but would not rebuild a total loss. I a replacer, struts brakes ETC..
    well good luck
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

i really dont care about the warranty it's GM pathetic engineering that caused the failure and their poor choice of manufacturer to build it... plus the damage to this car was no where near bad as most. the car works fine just piss poor build quality... the g6 is a terrible car plain and simple

Thanks

We have an 05 that we have owned for 5 years. It has been to a shop 6 times since we've owned it. Five of those times were scheduled maintenance. Once was to check a bolt covered by a recall. Sorry yours and your buddy's didn't meet your standards. We love our dependable G6.

We have gotten a letter that says that a power steering problem would be covered by an extended warranty if we ever have the problem.

Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71
    Pontiac G5

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4doors View Post
    We have an 05 that we have owned for 5 years. It has been to a shop 6 times since we've owned it. Five of those times were scheduled maintenance. Once was to check a bolt covered by a recall. Sorry yours and your buddy's didn't meet your standards. We love our dependable G6.

We have gotten a letter that says that a power steering problem would be covered by an extended warranty if we ever have the problem.
    My car eats brakes like no tomorrow same as my buddy's, all our sway bar bushings are totally beat out and need replacing, the steering shaft clunks like no tomorrow in both cars, we have replaced sway bar links that are wore right out, he has replaced ball joints (lucky so far in front end parts besides links and needing new bushins), The back of the front seats are broke on his and starting to peel away on mine, my passenger side strut is leaking already... The starters drag a few times a week when starting when the car is warm.... His A/C is worthless also.... These cars to me were just poorly engineered with poor quality parts. People here at GMI and at GM wonder why some people will never buy another, well when you have a list of problems a mile long.... well you get the picture.

I have about 60,000 miles on mine, he has about 80,000....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I have 2 '06 G6's. A 2.4 base model, and a 3.5 GT. The 2.4 has 120k on it and the 3.5 has 82k.

They've been good cars. Not perfect. The 3.5 gets better fuel mileage than the 2.4. I've worked with GM, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota. There are no perfect cars. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

In thirty plus years I've learned a few things. Don't buy "certified cars". Don't buy daily rentals. Don't buy buybacks. Only buy a car with a reconstructed title if you can't sleep at night for thinking about it, you can buy it for 50% of book wholesale or less (or not at all if it's been in deep water) and that's after it's been completely redone and you can't tell even a little bit that it was ever wrecked.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Chris, why did you even buy a GM? It's been obvious from your first post that you are a Ford fan and hate GM, bashing them at almost every opportunity.

Perhaps the person that designed the G6 power steering is the same person that designed the Focus's multi-arm rear suspension that I've seen need $1000 of work well before 100,000kms perhaps a dozen times now? Or maybe it was the person that designed the balljoints on the F150, F250 and Ranger? I'm getting tired of sending people back to Taylor Ford to warranty balljoints that should not be failing under the 60,000kms mark. Perhaps both GM and Ford have been guilty of making stuff that should not be failing so soon.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    Chris, why did you even buy a GM? It's been obvious from your first post that you are a Ford fan and hate GM, bashing them at almost every opportunity.

Perhaps the person that designed the G6 power steering is the same person that designed the Focus's multi-arm rear suspension that I've seen need $1000 of work well before 100,000kms perhaps a dozen times now? Or maybe it was the person that designed the balljoints on the F150, F250 and Ranger? I'm getting tired of sending people back to Taylor Ford to warranty balljoints that should not be failing under the 60,000kms mark. Perhaps both GM and Ford have been guilty of making stuff that should not be failing so soon.
    I bought a GM because I thought maybe that i would have some good luck after the horrible luck my brother has had with both of his GM cars, but I was wrong.

Also, I have never heard of anyone having any real trouble with the control blade rear suspension in a focus... The members of focus canada and focaljet love the control blade... And very very very few ever complained about it... I was a member of focaljet for about 5 years and focus canada probably even longer and very few times once did I ever hear of anyone complain about it... Mostly some bushings wearing but my G6 was some pretty worn bushings also...

My former boss had about 160,000km's on his 04 f-150 and only changed 1 ball joint... Plus ranger's, must know about 7-8 guys with ranger's personally who are friend's and i think they might of replaced a few ball joints out of the 8 trucks in years....

I am not denying the problems but I owned a ranger myself, and never changed any ball joints personally.... My brother owns it now and 2 of the 4 ball joints are original .... They were changed long before I ever bought it. My cousin owns a new 2010 ranger, we'll see how they last.

I just don't know what it is with GM cars but they all suck in this family... My father owns a Ford and you never hear a damn peep out of it... I will probably get a fusion next vehicle or an f-150 or edge, whatever the GF's tells me to buy haha

I have been a Ford fan all my life and buy the way things are going, It will probably continue...
    Last edited by Chris_6; 10-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I have a 2005 G6 GT with 110,000 miles that has had no repairs and has the original brakes. I have had to take the steering intermediate shaft out twice to be greased. This cured the "clunk" that was developing. I also noticed that the steering would lose power assist long before the battery would not start the car. I am on the third battery. Each time I got early warning with the steering assist becoming intermittent. Replacing the battery fixed the problem each time.

It has been a good car. My wife drives it to work (mostly freeway and she tends to not speed) and usually gets 32 mpg. Not bad for a car that accelerates and handles as well as this one. I was going to replace it with another one, but, Pontiac is no more, and she doesn't like some of the features of the malibu. (Yes, she is that picky about little things in cars. Lucky not so much about husbands.) We are going to try an Equinox instead.

Thanks

off topic, my 1992 beretta is no angel, but she's a BEAST. 240K original balls joints, tie rods same, 228K changed lower intake (WOW). I do brakes every 2 1/2 yrs but I'm VERY VERY hard on them. Changed struts twice in 110K+ but I drive her like a vette in 4x4 mode. Still the best car I have ever had. had her for 8+ yrs. 300 miles per tank of gas
    I have only bought GM, ford is 2nd in line. I want an 3.8 non-SC oldy but goddy GM car. more like a 2004-2005 impala ls monte park ave regal. Not the HUGE Bonneville or grand prix. i do like the olds LSS too. I still think of the 3.6 G6 as a later car.
    I wish U well.
    PS: I do all my own work to, so no sweat off me.
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue47 View Post
    I have a 2005 G6 GT with 110,000 miles that has had no repairs and has the original brakes. I have had to take the steering intermediate shaft out twice to be greased. This cured the "clunk" that was developing. I also noticed that the steering would lose power assist long before the battery would not start the car. I am on the third battery. Each time I got early warning with the steering assist becoming intermittent. Replacing the battery fixed the problem each time.

It has been a good car. My wife drives it to work (mostly freeway and she tends to not speed) and usually gets 32 mpg. Not bad for a car that accelerates and handles as well as this one. I was going to replace it with another one, but, Pontiac is no more, and she doesn't like some of the features of the malibu. (Yes, she is that picky about little things in cars. Lucky not so much about husbands.) We are going to try an Equinox instead.
    Glad to hear this, but I call BS on the brakes. 110K on front brakes. SORRY I DON'T THINK SO. SORRY... maybe 60K at most. this is not a flame either just my monkey opinion
    Last edited by boston boy; 10-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue47 View Post

I am on my 2nd battery, I bought a Good one from Interstate and it's not very old, not even 2 years old yet... So I doubt that's my problem...

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

but I call BS on the brakes. 110K on front brakes. SORRY I DON'T THINK SO.
    I can understand that for someone living in Boston this is hard to believe. But in rural Texas, she may drive 80 miles at a time without touching the brakes. When I lived near Boston, it sometimes seemed more like 80 feet. If brakes are good for 60,000 in Boston, they should be good for the lifetime of the car the way we drive. We have 75,000 on the second set of tires after getting 25,000 on the original Conti's. I get over 100K on the brakes on everything I buy, including pickups.

I too have bought fairly expensive interstate batteries. They last about two years and still test good (i.e. the warranty is useless). But when I replace the battery, the steering problem goes away. Keep in mind, the problem is intermittent and only at idle or near idle (foot off the gas).

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Canyonaro's Avatar
    Thanks

On my 2004 Mali (which has the same EPS system) I had to have the steering shaft lubed twice, thats it! Besides that it has been rock solid since the time I drove it off the lot in April of 2004.

I have heard that although simular, the G6 does seem to have more problems than the Mali. But that said, you seem to be a Ford fan and it doesn't matter if most of us have never had problems in ours.

Go get your Ford and ditch your Salvage Title G6 and be happy.
    Willy (from the Simpsons): Willy hears ya. Willy don't care.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

GMI Folding@Home Thread

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information