2005 silverado 3500 duramax, problems that they wont fix

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 silverado 3500 duramax, problems that they wont fix

Walking
    Thanks

2005 silverado 3500 duramax, problems that they wont fix

I have a 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 with the duramax and the allison. It has 97,000 miles on it. Over the past couple months I have been noticing my coolant level to be going down to the point where the low coolant light comes on. I refilled it a few times, also in that time ive noticed that the oil pressure seems to be low. I called the dealer and they said it was within operational range and not to worry about it. Well my days of not worrying about it came to an end last week. The low coolant light came on again so i filled it up. It was time for an oil change so I did that also. When i pulled the plug all that came out for the first 3 seconds or so was milky brown/grey crap then after that pure oil. I instantly called the dealer and explained to him what the problem is. He told me to bring it in, when i took it in they said it could be a head gasket issue and that for the most part is covered under warranty. I then asked him about the noticeable drop in oil pressure. Sometimes at 70 mph it only shows 35 lbs of pressure. He said it could be many things, I have been around engines for long enough to know that oil pumps and proper bearing tolerance is where you get your oil pressure. He told me that even though the coolant was in the oil (i'm not sure as to how long because i change oil when the computer tells me to which is around 10,000 miles) that they cannot under the warranty look into the lower end of my engine. I think that is totally bogus, I did not do anything to make the coolant go into the engine so why should I have to drive around with something that has had coolant wearing the bearing surfaces out when the head gasket issue is the only reason for it to even be a possible issue? How should I approach this, I honestly think its a no brainer to look into the lower end to see if the coolant caused any problems but for some reason they along with a few other dealers dont seem to think so. Am i in the wrong here? Any input would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2005 silverado 3500 duramax, problems that they wont fix

Well, I think you're wrong and right.

When they fix your head gasket issue, they should check your oil pressure. But you need to know going in that the cause may not be covered by diesel engine warranty, nor the time spent to find the problem.

It could be that the pressure is fine, and the instrument cluster gage is inaccurate, or the sender. The diesel warranty won't pay for either.

Ask them to show you documentation of what acceptable oil pressure at different rpm and engine temperatures is. If it is within spec, warranty won't pay them to tear the engine down and check for wear, despite how much you and I both would like to know if there is any. They just won't do it. And the dealer's not going to do it if they can't get paid for it.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Well, I think you're wrong and right.

When they fix your head gasket issue, they should check your oil pressure. But you need to know going in that the cause may not be covered by diesel engine warranty, nor the time spent to find the problem.

It could be that the pressure is fine, and the instrument cluster gage is inaccurate, or the sender. The diesel warranty won't pay for either.

Ask them to show you documentation of what acceptable oil pressure at different rpm and engine temperatures is. If it is within spec, warranty won't pay them to tear the engine down and check for wear, despite how much you and I both would like to know if there is any. They just won't do it. And the dealer's not going to do it if they can't get paid for it.
    I understand that there would be added expense if the sending unit or oil pressure gauge was faulty and wouldn't have a problem with it. The thing that bothers me is I know engine coolant is not good on bearings and I feel they should be at the least looked at. It floors me that GM just overlooks that, I guess if it comes to the worst case I can go and buy a good extended warranty. At least that way I know im covered incase something happens a year down the road. It just angers me a little, lol

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I understand your feelings completely. I'd feel the same way.

Unfortunately, having worked for GM, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, and Honda, they all have their warranty written the same way. It's not just GM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information