2002 Trailblazer Service 4WD light on

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Closed Thread

Thread: 2002 Trailblazer Service 4WD light on

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS

2002 Trailblazer Service 4WD light on

I just have a quick question about what I should/shouldn't do.
    I put my Trailblazer in 4HI to pull up a hill and curb so that I could get close enough to jump off my Father-in-law's boat. I moved maybe 4 feet. Once we were done I backed down the hill and while at a stop I placed the switch back in 2WD. the TB kinda lurched and the 2WD light illuminated. I placed the transmission in Drive and pulled back up to park. While pulling forward the Service 4WD light came on and ALL lights on the 4WD transfer switch went away.

I haven't driven the car since that happened and I was wondering if I really should until I can get it into a Dealership to have it checked.

The bad thing is that I am 500 miles from home on vacation.

EDIT: I looked at the scheduled maintenance portion of the owners manual and it recommends changing the Auto transfer case Fluid in the late 50 thousand of miles. I cam currently at 56,000 and some change and it hasn't been done yet since I don't really meet the requirements of doing that.
    Last edited by Nucleartiger; 07-10-2005 at 12:31 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2002 Trailblazer Service 4WD light on

Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartiger
    I just have a quick question about what I should/shouldn't do.
    I put my Trailblazer in 4HI to pull up a hill and curb so that I could get close enough to jump off my Father-in-law's boat. I moved maybe 4 feet. Once we were done I backed down the hill and while at a stop I placed the switch back in 2WD. the TB kinda lurched and the 2WD light illuminated. I placed the transmission in Drive and pulled back up to park. While pulling forward the Service 4WD light came on and ALL lights on the 4WD transfer switch went away.

I haven't driven the car since that happened and I was wondering if I really should until I can get it into a Dealership to have it checked.

The bad thing is that I am 500 miles from home on vacation.

EDIT: I looked at the scheduled maintenance portion of the owners manual and it recommends changing the Auto transfer case Fluid in the late 50 thousand of miles. I cam currently at 56,000 and some change and it hasn't been done yet since I don't really meet the requirements of doing that.
    Well i would have it checked as soon as possible.Possibly you might need a new Transfer Case Control Module.Anything is possible though.Also yes i would change the fluid in the transfer case at your current mileage.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 LGRpup's Avatar
    Thanks

I am not going to sugest that is OK to drive, but to me it doesn't seem like it would harm anything. As mentioned it could be many things, but it does sound like the transfer case control module. I had mine replaced with under 10k on the truck. Good luck!
    2008 GMC Sierra
    2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT

[/FONT]GM, Then and Now... Before you go and buy a import brand car because of the perception of quality, do a little research and you will find GM has as good or better quality than most of those other brands. It's not cool to hate America people!

[/COLOR]

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS

Well, I got in the TB a few hours later to drive back to my Sister-in-laws house for the night and as I pulled off from a stop I could tell that something didn't feel right. I just drove real slow around 20 or so MPH until I got to where I could turn around and go back to my Mother-in-laws house (where the problem first started). as I got ready to turn around the Lights on the transfer switch all came back on and the lights indicated that the car was in 4LO with the 2HI flashing since that was where the switch postion was at. I slowed down to just under 5mph and put the car in neutral. It transfered to 2HI and drove normally although the service 4WD light was still on.

Next morning: I went out to the car to drive it in to the dealership. I started the TB up and NO Service 4WD light was on. I drove it in anyway and they sent me away and said that there was nothing that they could check because the computer automatically rechecks its parameters and cancels any codes if they are no longer locked in. They then said to just drive it until it comes back on, then just bring it back in. They said that if I couldn't bring it in with that light on it didn't matter cause it wouldn't hurt anything.

So nothing really to report about my problem other than it has apparently fixed itself.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 LGRpup's Avatar
    Thanks

Since when does the computer reset its own codes??? I always thought you had a certain number of startups before the code was cleared. Well maybe they changed that. Any techs want to confirm this?
    2008 GMC Sierra
    2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT

[/FONT]GM, Then and Now... Before you go and buy a import brand car because of the perception of quality, do a little research and you will find GM has as good or better quality than most of those other brands. It's not cool to hate America people!

[/COLOR]

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS

No I didn't have it serviced. After I told him/showed him that the light was no longer on he told me that there was no reason to have it in. I asked him about changing the Transfer case fluid and he told me not to worry about it since I don't meet the conditions in the manual. I left the dealership less than enthused about their service.

I figure that I will just take it in to my local dealership when I get back home next Monday. I can dro pit off and let them go over it and check it out while I use my beater to go back and forth to work.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

had this problem, really starting to turn up, EBCM problem, get er to the shop. starting to become a problem.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Theres a software update for this issue. I guess the computer is very picky so when it checks the 4 wheel drive when you are driving if the position of the diff is not where it wants to be then it throws the light even if nothing is wrong. They have the update so it isnt picky and fixes all the problems.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information