2002 silverado rust

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2002 silverado rust

Walking
    Thanks

2002 silverado rust

I own a 2002 silverado 4x4. I bought it used in February 2010 from a chevrolet dealership. It had around 67,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It now has 78,000 miles on it. I have had to replace brake lines 3 different times due to corrosion and the lines blowing out. There is excessive frame rust escpecially towards the rear. The leaf spring shackles and brackets are eat up with rust and need to be replaced. The cross piece above the spare tire is rusted pretty bad too. Also, the rocker panels are rusting through.

I have never owned anything other than a general motors vehicle. I absolutely love my truck. It has everything on it that I wanted. I currently own 3 chevys; an equinox, camaro, and this silverado. I have owned 3 trucks in the past, an 85 s10, an 88 cheyenne, and an 88 sierra. None of those trucks had anything remotely close to the amount of rust that my 2002 has.

I have ordered a complete set of stainless steel pre bent brake lines. Also, I am going to try to replace the most severly rusted pieces that attach the leaf springs to the frame. I am going to try to clean all the rust off of the frame and prime and paint to prevent future rust.

I just wanted to let gm know about the problems I am having with my truck. Also, from what I've read, I am not alone. I have always been a chevy man and I hope that gm will step up and take care of their loyal customers.

Thanks for reading,

Andy
    Last edited by Andy H; 07-01-2011 at 08:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2002 silverado rust

A lot of factors come into play here.

There is a rust through corrosion warranty on body sheet metal. GM will honor it, but not exceed it. Look at your warranty manual.

I doubt GM is going to warranty frame rust on a truck coming up on 10 model years old. You need to speak to your dealer.

You've had to replace brake lines 3 different times, or the same brake lines three different times? No one makes a road salt impervious vehicle.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    A lot of factors come into play here.

There is a rust through corrosion warranty on body sheet metal. GM will honor it, but not exceed it. Look at your warranty manual.

I doubt GM is going to warranty frame rust on a truck coming up on 10 model years old. You need to speak to your dealer.

You've had to replace brake lines 3 different times, or the same brake lines three different times? No one makes a road salt impervious vehicle.
    rust through on body sheet metal is for 6 years I was told.

No, they wont warranty frame rust but, a truck this young should not be this corroded.

I have replaced 3 different brake lines. This 3rd time, I have ordered a complete set of ss pre bent brake lines. When I bought this truck, it had just turned 8 yrs old and it had 67,000 miles on it. I hadn't had it a few months when the first brake line blew due to rust. When I was under the truck replacing the line, that's when I noticed all of the frame rust. I know that rust didnt just pop up in the few months I had it. It has been rusting for a while. There is no way this should be happening. I have had several vehicles 20 yrs old with no rust and brake lines in good condition.

It's pretty sad when you pay 11,000 for a vehicle and you lose your brakes 3 times and the rear leaf spring brackets and shackles are almost rotted through. Not to mention rust through on sheet metal.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yes a whole lot of factors come in play here, what region did the truck come from? Sounds to me the truck spent its life in the north with the salt roads or was the truck in a flood with salt water who knows.
    2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4 4:10 Gears 6 Speed
    2011 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse LS AWD

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96vette View Post
    Yes a whole lot of factors come in play here, what region did the truck come from? Sounds to me the truck spent its life in the north with the salt roads or was the truck in a flood with salt water who knows.
    It has been and still is in East TN. No floods show up on carfax so I don't know.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

my dads 2005 silverado is the same way. everything under it is covered in rust. if you open up the hood everything near the bottom of the motor is rust. Also the back bumper has rust all over it to. but the body of the truck there is no rust. we also live in CT and the guy who had it before us used it in the snow it has a plow on the front of it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ed753's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

If the truck live on or frequently traveled on dirt roads, where it has dirt packed underneath, is a killer and if that dirt road was treated with chloride .......... even worse.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

If you live in an area where it snows, you can bet salt has been on the roads. Also there is no guarantee the previous owner/owners have never left the state.

If you run thru mud or salt, it has to be routinely washed off. I see trucks here 10 years old in pristine condition, and others as you say yours is. The difference is not in the quality of the metal, but in owner upkeep. Sounds like previous owner negligence, which GM nor any other manufacturer is going to stand behind.

A good dealer inspection before you purchased the truck might have been in order.

Banned
    Thanks

I thought there was a recall on GM truck brake lines last year due to excessive recalls? Check with your local dealer to see if your VIN is recalled.

Frame rot on the leaf springs is what got my old Tacoma and I took pretty good care of it. My Sierra has a fair bit of rust on it and I treat the truck well. GMT-800s and issues with rust is not new. Toyota bought back trucks with rotted frames for the same issue your truck is having. The best you can do is report it to NHTSA and if enough people complain, something will get done, as that's a serious safety issue if those leaf springs give out on the road.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

Did you not have the truck inspected before you bought it ? It can't have rusted that badly in one year so the rust must have been there in 2010 when you bought it.

The best you can do is what you have already decided to do and replace sections that are structurally dangerous.

And next time take it to your mechanic and put it up on a lift before you buy it.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
    Did you not have the truck inspected before you bought it ? It can't have rusted that badly in one year so the rust must have been there in 2010 when you bought it.

The best you can do is what you have already decided to do and replace sections that are structurally dangerous.

And next time take it to your mechanic and put it up on a lift before you buy it.
    I bought the truck from a chevy dealership. I figured they would have inspected it when they changed the fluids in it. Also, I never thought a 2002 would have that much rust. I didn't think I had anything to worry about. I have learned my lesson though! Next time I will crawl under one and check it out first.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in the Rust Belt, I drive a 1997 GMT 400, and a 2001 Windstar.

Both have rust problems, Cab corners on the GMT 400, and my rear axle did fail on the Windstar. (scarey drive that I won't go into) I replaced the axle out of pocket. 2 months later the recall came out.

Checking the used axle I purchased, they found Rust caused Cracking. Ford not only replaced my axle, but payed the protion of the orignal repair bill, that I could prove.

Safety issue!

My GMT Cab Corners are not.

But being around vehicles daily, I have noticed GMT 800's with less mileage than My 400, with more of a Rust Issue than mine.

I know I blow the Ford Horn alot, But I have even seen Cross Members rotting out on 97-02 Fords.

But lots of things affect rust on under cariages, Grass/dirt driveways, Heated garages, mileage (and lower means worse most times) and were they have been driven.

Colder climates use less salt (due to salt only works to about -10 degress) Sub freezing @ night upto just below freezing during the day. Snow/ice removal depends on Salt. Where it stays -10 or lower, Ice treatment is usually Sand.

Sad thing is for about $500/ vehicle, there would be No Rusting. Adding $500 of Nickel, when smelting the steel, and it wouldn't rust. But then the car company would sell less cars, the steel company would have less Recycled Steel, the Miner's would not need to mine as much metal, Rail companys, car haulers, repair shops, and so on.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

In Canada we spray the vechile with no drip oil spray it is a non petroleum product. We drill the doors, rockers and tail gate and spray the truck completely. I've been doing this for 8 yrs with my 2003 GMC and not a spot of rust anywhere. I swear by this product.
    I sold my 1992 Riveria it had no rust anywhere and was driven year round.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBUC View Post
    In Canada we spray the vechile with no drip oil spray it is a non petroleum product. We drill the doors, rockers and tail gate and spray the truck completely. I've been doing this for 8 yrs with my 2003 GMC and not a spot of rust anywhere. I swear by this product.
    I sold my 1992 Riveria it had no rust anywhere and was driven year round.
    Thanks BUC for the Input.

But Canada is a Big Place. Southern Onatrio use's ALOT of salt, due to it's warmer conditions. (where salt works)

Northern Ontario uses less salt, but more Sand, because salt doesn't work where it is cold. The sand causes the paint to be Sand Blasted off of the rocker panels, behind the tires.

But lately, Northern Ontario uses a Salt Brine, which clings to EVERYTHING. And cause's rust quickly.

Manitoba, doesn't use salt, so thier cars have WAY less rust.

Quebec, has the "New winter Tire Law" So I can "Guess" that they have less rust problems, "Now"

My Van was "Rust Proofed" when it was sold orignally, and I can say it "Works" The Rocker Panels are intact, Floor Pans, the same. Axle's and engine craddles, well a different storey. But they don't get rust proofed.

My advice, "Any rust proofing" in Canada, is worth it. Rust Check, Diamond Coat, Electronic Boxes, and so on. But that $7-1000, you are spending, would be better spent, during manufacturing your new ride.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Here's the deal. The GMT-400 Cabs were not galvanized. That's why those trucks up to 1998 would need the cab corners replaced yet the doors, rockers and beds would need nothing because They were galvanized and resisted corrosion longer. The GMT-800's cabs were not galvanized nor was anything else for the sake of cost reduction Except for the doors. All of our GMT-800's that I've dealt with (which is what your truck is) have terrible rotting problems here in Minnesota. Numerous body shops here in town have confirmed this to me and they make a Ton of money fixing these trucks. And yes, the frames and brake lines are more prone to rust on these trucks as well. I once had links in my signature to bring attention to the issue here and took them down. I'll post it 1 time here so you can see. Your rockers are the first to go, then the cab corners and bed over the rear wheels. The metal is alot thinner on these trucks than the older ones so it doesn't take long to spread once it starts. There's some people in denial over this issue but the fact is it's a serious problem... GM was penny pinching.

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz102/JimSmith1955/
    Last edited by FanOfDurant; 07-14-2011 at 04:13 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information