2002 Impala LS - Service Traction System

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Impala LS - Service Traction System

Thanks

2002 Impala LS - Service Traction System

The "Service Traction System" warning popped up on the car's message center about 2 months ago and I didn't think much of it. After the initial message nothing came on for about 3 weeks or so. Now it comes on every time I drive the car along with the ABS light.

The car also initiates traction control then the warning comes on mostly during light braking or right turns (strangely this has never happened during left turns).

Thinking it was the sensors in the hub/wheel bearing assembly, I replaced both of them in the front. Unfortunately this did not work.

After a quick google search I discovered hundreds if not more complaints similar to mine. The solutions of each problem varying from a simple brake fluid check to a brand new ABS computer. Regardless of this it seems that there is an inherent problem with 2000-2005 Impalas and Monte Carlos traction control system/ABS.

How haven't there been any recalls??

Anyway, can anyone offer me some advice or perhaps more information on the subject.
    FUTURE CARS:
    Buick LaCrosse GS (I wish...)

CURRENT CARS:
    2010 Chevrolet Impala LTZ (20,000 miles)
    2002 Chevrolet Impala LS (98,000 miles)

PAST CARS:
    1996 Buick Park Avenue (245,000 miles) [RIP 1996-2010]
    1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham (275,000 miles) [RIP 1989-2002]

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Re: 2002 Impala LS - Service Traction System

Quote Originally Posted by 13oldsmobuick View Post
    The "Service Traction System" warning popped up on the car's message center about 2 months ago and I didn't think much of it. After the initial message nothing came on for about 3 weeks or so. Now it comes on every time I drive the car along with the ABS light.

The car also initiates traction control then the warning comes on mostly during light braking or right turns (strangely this has never happened during left turns).

Thinking it was the sensors in the hub/wheel bearing assembly, I replaced both of them in the front. Unfortunately this did not work.

After a quick google search I discovered hundreds if not more complaints similar to mine. The solutions of each problem varying from a simple brake fluid check to a brand new ABS computer. Regardless of this it seems that there is an inherent problem with 2000-2005 Impalas and Monte Carlos traction control system/ABS.

Anyway, can anyone offer me some advice or perhaps more information on the subject.
    Your service traction system light is like the check engine light it can come on for a lot of reasons and thats why you take it to someone that can pull the code and tell you whats wrong otherwise you spend a fortune fixing what everyone says it is on the internet. You cant recall a warning. Otherwise all cars would have a recall for the check engine light coming on. There should be a recall for the intake gaskets on the v6 engines thats a specific problem.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Nine times out of 10 a quick scan of the codes (and there are companies that will do this for free) will tell you what is wrong...

My 2002 Caddy was acting up very much as you describe... in my car's case it was the ignition switch that was starting to go and it wasn't sending a full 12 volts to the rear integration module... dealer wanted $900 to replace the rear computer... a quick google search netted the "common problem" with the ignition switch and which circuit to back probe to look for the voltage drop... replaced the Ignition switch for $80 and all is well.

Replace the ABS module ONLY as a last resort, they are incredibly reliable (and expensive) it is likely something else.

Good Luck.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Advice #1 Never throw parts at a problem. It's an expensive, and usually doomed to failure waste of your time.

Advice #2 Get the codes scanned. It could be as simple as a chafed wire going to the plug in for the hub assy.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

That is interesting. Two Sundays ago, and making a right turn in my 2004 Monte, the traction control light lit very briefly. Thought nothing of it until I read your thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linton23 View Post
    You cant recall a warning. Otherwise all cars would have a recall for the check engine light coming on.
    I'm not questioning the warning light for recalls, I was just curious as to how there haven't been any recalls on any related parts. I realize that this specific warning light could have come up for any number of reasons but if you look online for 2000-2005 Impalas and Monte Carlos there seem to be a lot of people making similar complaints, making it seem like there's something going on with a lot of these cars.
    FUTURE CARS:

CURRENT CARS:

PAST CARS:

Thanks

I've seen a lot of wiring issues with these. There is a "jumper harness" thats about 18" long and goes from the frame to the wheel speed sensor. There is a connector at each end. If the harness isn't routed properly or the terminal pin fit isnt tight, it will lose connection in tight turns and cause an intermittent signal drop out.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

I'm not questioning the warning light for recalls, I was just curious as to how there haven't been any recalls on any related parts. I realize that this specific warning light could have come up for any number of reasons but if you look online for 2000-2005 Impalas and Monte Carlos there seem to be a lot of people making similar complaints, making it seem like there's something going on with a lot of these cars.
    Look at the number of Impala's made to the number of complaints the numbers may surprise you.

Thanks

Everything is now fixed. Turns out I had two problems; the connection at one of the old hubs was shot and the wiring from the hub to the abs computer was corroded. Put in new hubs earlier and just had to replaced the wire. Found two new wires cheap online and just spliced them in. No symptoms for about two weeks now.
    FUTURE CARS:

CURRENT CARS:

PAST CARS:

Walking
    Thanks

I can testify to the claim of replacing the ABS senosor wires. I just replaced my front ABS sensor wires for $80 w/ S&H. test drive showed no faults at any time! I turned completely in both direction to see if it would dislodge. No "SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM" LIGHT AT ALL!!!!!! Woohoo! Hope this helps. Not sure if I can post the website selling the part. Consider this thread...

2002 Impala LS - Service Traction System [solved].

Walking
    Thanks

I purchased a 2002 chevrolet Impala LS 5 months ago, as you and others stated abs, check engine light and service traction system message appeared in the message center. replaced the abs pump it appeared to help, then I experienced other problems, my passenger side axle broke, I replaced it and the abs, check engine and service system light went, approximately a fews later I started having the same noise and problem, replaced the driver's side abs pump and it again appear all was well, check the code it 741, torque converter stuck in off position and each time it reads 741. Once I hit traction off button the car drives smoothly without problem, I am going to check to see if the abs computer and pump are one in the same. It seems that as soon as I cut the car on the traction active light appears and the engine and the car itself is very rough in sound and movement and I cut the traction off it drives very smoothly. I will talk to my mechanic and see if this could help.
    Last edited by turner721@yahoo.com; 04-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

Question, did you just replace the front abs sensor wires on the front or are there wires on the rear too, please let me know asap also my impala has 213, 000 miles. It just dawned on me that I only hear the noise when I turn my wheels to the right, I am going to try what you did, wish me luck.
    Last edited by turner721@yahoo.com; 04-30-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

I also only hear the noise when I turn my when right, I am going to try what you did, wish me luck, I need my wheels.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information