2000 Pontiac Montana engine problems

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Closed Thread

Thread: 2000 Pontiac Montana engine problems

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

2000 Pontiac Montana engine problems

I know, I know I was in another thread singing the praises of the Chinese built 3400 but OMG does this motor suck. I mean sure its got plenty of power to motivate my van.

But lately I have been having some major problems. Take this for instance after getting up to highway speed 65 - 70 and after attempting a pass the motor seems to start to "limp" and the service engine soon light started to flash and it varied with engine speed how fast it blinked sounds and feels like only three cylinders are working. After pullin over and coming to a stop the motor seems to rock the van extremely violently and a stong smell of buring rubber entered the cabin. I cut the motor off and started it back up five or six minutes later and the problem was gone but no soon as i got back to 65 it did it again.

What could it be I've takin it to the dealer and they couldn't get it to do it. But upon leaving the dealer it did it when i merged into traffic so i brought it back and they felt it and they cut it off so they could check for trouble codes but when they turned it on it wouldn't do it and no trouble codes were tripped I'm not sure what else it could be. Any thoughts on what could be wrong. It seems to be ok jus driving around the city.
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2000 Pontiac Montana engine problems

AFAIK the Check Engine light really only indicates Emissions type issues - maybe you are having catalytic converter, muffler, computer issues?
    ------------
    Goochman

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

Drove it today and I got less than a mile from my home brought it back and got my Chrysler (which has problems of its own) and drove it. Could there be a problem from my father jumping into the van in sub 32 degree weather and taking off without letting it warm up any little bit?

But I am going to have my father have them check the exhaust system its just funny that the light would blink kind of in time with the motor.
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

had the same problem with my van played with it for a year or so nobody couldn't tell me what the problem was then a shadetree mechanic tole me to change the coil pack $60 bucks at autozone problem fixed 3000 miles on it since the fix and everything is running good

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yentam7433
    had the same problem with my van played with it for a year or so nobody couldn't tell me what the problem was then a shadetree mechanic tole me to change the coil pack $60 bucks at autozone problem fixed 3000 miles on it since the fix and everything is running good
    I'm thinking the same thing, definitely ignition related. How many miles, if over 75k I would change plugs and wires, they need it anyway, and while doing that check for corrosion on the tips of the coils or inside the wire boots. If there is corrosion they made need to be replaced if its bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by goochman
    AFAIK the Check Engine light really only indicates Emissions type issues - maybe you are having catalytic converter, muffler, computer issues?
    The check engine light will set for all kinds of reasons, not just emisson, but when its blinking it means the engine is misfiring which if it goes on long enough it will damage the catalytic converter due to a build up of unburned fuel that will cause it to get super hot and melt, which clogs the exhaust.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 2005 Equinox LS's Avatar
    Thanks

Fuel injectors can cause this too. Bad ignition wires, bad coil pack.
    2008 Chevrolet Impala LS.

1981 Pontiac Bonneville. "The last full sized RWD Bonneville".

1985 Chevrolet Caprice.

2007 Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor.

1986 John Deere Lawn Tractor.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information