05 Silverado Castech Cylinder Heads

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05 Silverado Castech Cylinder Heads

Walking
    Thanks

Thumbs down 05 Silverado Castech Cylinder Heads

I purchased my 2005 Silverado Z71 used with 77k miles on it about a month ago with no extended warranty from a local dealership. Within two weeks of purchase I had to have a new computer sensor put in the transfer case due to my 4wd service light coming on. I took it to the dealership which charged me $300 for it, ok, not excited about having to put that much money into it without even making a first payment on the vehicle but hey, I bought it used with no warranty so I got over it. Within the next 2 weeks the engine started running hot, so I checked the coolant level and it still had some in the reserve tank. I drove it to the same dealership about 10 minutes away and had the check it. Upon running diagnostics they called me back and said both cylinder heads were cracked and needed to be replaced for $2700. I figured I had no choice so I told them to go ahead, upon doing a little research on the internet I found out this is not so uncommon with "Castech" cylinder heads and GM has released bulletin #06-06-01-019B explaining the situation but never recalled the product. I spoke to the dealership and they confirmed I in fact had these specific cylinder heads. After reading what other customers have been through I determined it would be a waste of my time to contact GM for help in repair costs, I then contacted my personal mechanic with over 20 years GM certified mechanic and he agreed to fix it for half the cost. I realize this vehicle is not under warrranty and that I'm on my own on most repairs, however I expected GM to stand behind their products a little bit better than this. This will be the 6th GM vehicle and 5th Chevrolet I've owned, and I have to say I've spent more money on this truck in 1 month than all my other vehicles in 10 years combined. I think it is safe to say GM has one less customer now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Re: 05 Silverado Castech Cylinder Heads

Damn dude, that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

The super crappy part about this whole thing is...in all likeliness the dealership knew the truck was a lemon. Especially about the cracked heads.

It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Dang, that does suck.

As far as them standing behind it, they have now increased their powertrain warranty to 5yr/100k on the 07 up vehicles.

Hopefully once it is fixed you can enjoy it. They really are the best trucks out there is you ask me....
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

As I've said before....

The thing is way out of warranty.... but before you consider a Ford.....

check out their corresponding websites to GMI.

Plenty of F Series and Mustang owners out of warranty 3000 miles but still under time with engine/tranny issues-Ford's offer of assistance....ZERO.

Sorry for your trouble. When buying used, always consider an extended warranty for just such problems as this.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

That does suck.

But you could always do a head/cam upgrade

Mike

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    The super crappy part about this whole thing is...in all likeliness the dealership knew the truck was a lemon. Especially about the cracked heads.
    I guess this dealer did not have X Ray eyes.You know because they can see through the cylinder head to see a internal coolant leak.On top of that dealerships just love dealing with a situation like this.I will agree that the dealer should help out this guy.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

Walking
    Thanks

I appreciate all of your input, luckily a family member, also certified mechanic has agreed to fix it, I went ahead and bought the heads off the dealership and will just have them installed. As for the truck, its a good looking ride and has proven to meet all my needs thus far. At least it didn't leave me stranded on the side of the road. The dealership was nice enough to work with me on purchasing the new heads and diagnostics and I will continue to use the dealership, after all they have to make a profit somehow, I just don't have that kind of money right now. Anyway, this is a good place to vent and get input, thanks again to everyone.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Ga. doesn't have a state required used car warranty on vehicles bought from retail dealers?

Terrible NY does:
    Under the warranty, the dealer must either repair the defect or reimburse you for the repair costs. The length of the warranty depends on how many miles are on the vehicle when you buy it:

36,000 miles or less: 90-day or 4,000-mile warranty36,001 miles to 79,999 miles: 60-day or 3,000-mile warranty80,000 miles to 100,000 miles: 30-day or 1,000-mile warrantyA dealer does not have to warrant a vehicle that sells for less than $1,500 or whose odometer reading is more than 100,000 miles.

The Used Car Lemon Law entitles you to a replacement vehicle or refund if the dealer is unable to correct the problem after three repair attempts or the car has been out of service for 15 days.

Hope the dealer picks up the tab for ya.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 73ChevelleSS View Post
    I guess this dealer did not have X Ray eyes.You know because they can see through the cylinder head to see a internal coolant leak.On top of that dealerships just love dealing with a situation like this.I will agree that the dealer should help out this guy.
    After rereading what I wrote...I should clarify. Sure there's a chance that the dealership didn't know about the problem. But I guarantee the person who traded it in to begin with knew about it.

^ Great quote!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Post the vin number of the truck lets pull a vis on it and see what kind of trouble its had. Then we could see if its something the dealer would know or even the customer. Even though GM has cut back I would still have tried to get some help if you do a lot of buisness with the dealer they would try and help.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolutely no help from GM at that mileage on a used vehicle.

As for states with mandatory used vehicle warranty, the dealer simply builds the estimated cost of warranty into the sales price-there's no free ride.

Then you have to ask, would the customer have been able to afford the truck in the first place?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    After rereading what I wrote...I should clarify. Sure there's a chance that the dealership didn't know about the problem. But I guarantee the person who traded it in to begin with knew about it.
    This is absolutely true.But no matter what, the dealer will allways look like the bad guy.
    GM World Class Certified
    ASE Master Tech
    ASE Truck Tech
    ASE Service Consultant
    ASE Advance Engine Performance L1
    GM MOE 2005 Gold
    Gm MOE 2006 Gold

Walking
    Thanks

Angry Re: 05 Silverado Castech Cylinder Heads

Sorry to hear someone else has this problem! Seems to be lots of unhappy GM owners. We bailed out GM --- now it's their turn to bail out their customers!

I have a 2004 Sierra 5.3 L with 53900 miles. Owned since new. Cracked Castech cylinder heads. $3500 repair.

I did contact GM customer service and they paid $1000 towards repair but they won't budge. Attorney says I should submit a request for arbitration. Anyone know how I can do that? Unable to find anything on GM website (not surprised). Truck was serviced by GMC dealer since day one; thousands of dollars in preventive maintenance performed and dealership agrees that I properly maintained vehicle.

Until now, I was ready to buy another Sierra. If GM would just stand behind this repair, I would reconsider. Truck has done everything I expected from it. Thanks.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by GMCZ71 View Post
    Sorry to hear someone else has this problem! Seems to be lots of unhappy GM owners. We bailed out GM --- now it's their turn to bail out their customers!

I have a 2004 Sierra 5.3 L with 53900 miles. Owned since new. Cracked Castech cylinder heads. $3500 repair.

I did contact GM customer service and they paid $1000 towards repair but they won't budge. Attorney says I should submit a request for arbitration. Anyone know how I can do that? Unable to find anything on GM website (not surprised). Truck was serviced by GMC dealer since day one; thousands of dollars in preventive maintenance performed and dealership agrees that I properly maintained vehicle.

Until now, I was ready to buy another Sierra. If GM would just stand behind this repair, I would reconsider. Truck has done everything I expected from it. Thanks.

Arbitration would be with your states lemon law board or with an attorney in the court system.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information