'05 Malibu Electric Steering Recall

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '05 Malibu Electric Steering Recall

Walking
    Thanks

'05 Malibu Electric Steering Recall

Just found out my car was recalled for the electric steering issue. We've had the warning sign come up on the DIC a few times, starting at about 80,000 miles. We're well over 100,000 now, so we are supposedly NOT covered under the recall.

Since the problem started before 100k, is there anything GM/Chevy will do for us?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: '05 Malibu Electric Steering Recall

Quote Originally Posted by Art Raveller View Post
    Just found out my car was recalled for the electric steering issue. We've had the warning sign come up on the DIC a few times, starting at about 80,000 miles. We're well over 100,000 now, so we are supposedly NOT covered under the recall.

Since the problem started before 100k, is there anything GM/Chevy will do for us?

I'm not sure if GM will do anything for you - but if I worked for GM, my first question would be why did you wait 20,000 miles to have the problem evaluated or fixed?

Thanks

I would questions it for sure, even it starting at 80,000, not saying but are you guessing, I have yet to have seen one that waited this long to show signs, most went before 30,000 miles, or less....

I mean they said they would cover it up to a point and you knew it and you did not fix it and now your asking if they will, I guess it wont hurt to ask, just have a geeod reason for waiting so long.....
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Art,

Please send me a private message with your VIN and I'll be happy to look into this concern with the recall.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service
    Follow us @GMCustomerSvc on Twitter.

Walking
    Thanks

Do you have the details of the recall? What model years are affected?

I've got a 2004 Malibu 3.5L and I've had intermittent steering problems as well.

Thanks!

Walking
    Thanks

My 05 with 80000 miles just had the power steering light come on but no poroblems.I guess i should bring it in to get it fixed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano7 View Post
    My 05 with 80000 miles just had the power steering light come on but no poroblems.I guess i should bring it in to get it fixed.
    Let me know how it goes!

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I've never heard of a recall that was limited on miles.

Thanks

This is a "Special Policy" not a mandated recall.

Walking
    Thanks

I have the same issue as Art and others about the power steering message coming on and at first I had no noticable steering challenges then one day the steering went hard . A friend of mine checked it out and ''reset'' it. The problem stayed away for a week then the DIC ''power steering'' indicator started coming on again.This started at about 140000 kms. I took it to a GM dealership and was told it would cost approximatlly $500-$600 to correct the problem. They never mentioned a recall on this part. I was told that by a friend. I see by checking this out I'm not the only one who has this situation.I would like to know the rights to this recall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B. Curtis View Post
    I have the same issue as Art and others about the power steering message coming on and at first I had no noticable steering challenges then one day the steering went hard . A friend of mine checked it out and ''reset'' it. The problem stayed away for a week then the DIC ''power steering'' indicator started coming on again.This started at about 140000 kms. I took it to a GM dealership and was told it would cost approximatlly $500-$600 to correct the problem. They never mentioned a recall on this part. I was told that by a friend. I see by checking this out I'm not the only one who has this situation.I would like to know the rights to this recall.
    ITS NOT A RECALLLLLLLL

ITS A BULLITON.... Those things toyota does so they dont have to call it a recall

if your WAY up on milage whcih you are, they may not do it, or IT MAY be something else, most of these problems ppl are talking about showed signs early on.... if you have up to 140,000km its prolly something else..... or way past the bullitin....
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

steering rack went out on our 2003 ion at 73,000kms.
    and about 3000kms before that the intermediate steering shaft.
    should have been covered with the cobalt recall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbg1 View Post
    steering rack went out on our 2003 ion at 73,000kms.
    and about 3000kms before that the intermediate steering shaft.
    should have been covered with the cobalt recall.
    cobalt were not around in 2003 so how the hell can ya cover someting that done exist......

so confused......

sides the malibu he has and yourt ION use 2 totally DIFFERENT steering systems... ones rack and pinion and ones electric assist....

LOL cobalt in 2003.... funny..... people will try anything to get warranty on somehting that dont have anymore on it.... extended warranty would have covered it was well, you would be better trying that as opposed to getting a recall done that did not exist at the time...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B. Curtis View Post
    I would suggest contacting our Canadian Customer Care Centre at 1-800-263-3777 for the proper information.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service

Walking
    Thanks

Jared,

Could you assist me as well? I've had my car eexactly 7 years. The steering wheel started doing this funny jerking a week ago and got worse over the weekend. I took I to AutoZone today and they told me I had electric power steering and to take it to the dealer. I was planning to take it in the morning, but the power steering has gone completely out and I can't move it. I'm at 130' miles, so it looks like I'm outside of the recall period. How much does something like this cost? I love my Malibu. I had no major issues until I paid it off in May. Then all hell broke loose. The only issue was the sensor on my fuel guage went out a few years back.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information