Honda: new diesel for overseas Civic, will it come here?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honda: new diesel for overseas Civic, will it come here?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Honda: new diesel for overseas Civic, will it come here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Re: Honda: new diesel for overseas Civic, will it come here?

Oiii oii oii! I wish someone besides VW would bring some non-lux-priced diesels to the US market.

Honda? Bring it on! I'm hoping for the KIA 1.6 diesel for the Soul.

Who will be the first brave soul/company?

15Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02cordV6 01cord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCiv 96Concorde 95trep 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. --John F. Kennedy

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I was thinking the CR-V with the 1.6L iDTEC!!!
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Oiii oii oii! I wish someone besides VW would bring some non-lux-priced diesels to the US market.

Honda? Bring it on! I'm hoping for the KIA 1.6 diesel for the Soul.

Who will be the first brave soul/company?
    Chevrolet and Mazda have said they're bringing at least -a- diesel engine here. Cruze and...whatever Mazda sticks theirs into. Current speculation is heavily implying it'll be the CX-5, possibly the Mazda6. Any non-lux diesels coming to the US market I'm missing?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I would prefer the 2.2 iDTEC engine in a vehicle any larger than the Civic.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Related I saw somewhere that Honda seems to have made a commitment to a 7 sp DCT of some sort.

So like for others, seems they may end up with a diesel or two, three or four electrification types, CVTs, 6SP MTs / CATS...... and maybe still..... the 9HP for Acura and related.

And they're keeping on the 'early' track for the fuel cells.

All of this when taken together, is going to require a great deal of money - even if they drop one or two and or or back pedal and stretch.

I swear, this does not bode well for the rest of the vehicle ......
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-20-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added forgotten CVTs
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by CheetahDC View Post
    Chevrolet and Mazda have said they're bringing at least -a- diesel engine here. Cruze and...whatever Mazda sticks theirs into. Current speculation is heavily implying it'll be the CX-5, possibly the Mazda6. Any non-lux diesels coming to the US market I'm missing?
    The diesels used by Daewoo (Chevrolet) are old designs, from VM Motori but now built under licence by Hyundai for Daewoo - Hyundai don't use them for their own or Kia models any more as they have the modern R-series I4 2.0/2.2 and S-series V6 3.0 diesels for use in RoW markets - these were designed at Hyundai Germany but built by Hyundai in Korea.

GM don't have any up-to-date car diesels available - either the elderly VM Motori units or the less old but not modern Fiat units. GM Powertrain holds all their rights, not the original developers, but they aren't GM designs.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    The diesels used by Daewoo (Chevrolet) are old designs, from VM Motori but now built under licence by Hyundai for Daewoo - Hyundai don't use them for their own or Kia models any more as they have the modern R-series I4 2.0/2.2 and S-series V6 3.0 diesels for use in RoW markets - these were designed at Hyundai Germany but built by Hyundai in Korea.

GM don't have any up-to-date car diesels available - either the elderly VM Motori units or the less old but not modern Fiat units. GM Powertrain holds all their rights, not the original developers, but they aren't GM designs.
    Weren't the VM Motori diesels discontinued in favor of an internal GM design within the past year or so?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post

The US Cruze Diesel will receive a Fiat Powertrain JTD variant as utilized in some EU Opel products. Arguably Fiat Powetrain is considered by many to be a leading manufacturer of small diesels, and aside from BMW's quite excellent 4 cylinder diesels I would agree.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by CheetahDC View Post
    Weren't the VM Motori diesels discontinued in favor of an internal GM design within the past year or so?
    It's just an updated version of the old VM Motori design - GM haven't themselves designed a car diesel for decades.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    The US Cruze Diesel will receive a Fiat Powertrain JTD variant as utilized in some EU Opel products. Arguably Fiat Powetrain is considered by many to be a leading manufacturer of small diesels, and aside from BMW's quite excellent 4 cylinder diesels I would agree.
    It's no longer anything to do with Fiat - during the Opel/Fiat joint venture days, the JTD was produced by GM Fiat Powertrain - Fiat have since pulled out of that leaving GM in full control of Powertrain so now both GM and Fiat have rights to the original JTD - both are developing that design independently.

GM currently has two 2.0 I4 diesels available - one that's ex-VM Motori and one that's ex-Fiat JTD - I've no idea why it has both although it did the same years ago with a 1.7 I4 from Isuzu and their in-house 1.7 diesel, which was the last car diesel designed by GM, ie not licenced from elsewhere.

The BMW diesels are thought to be the best in Europe, closely followed by the PSA diesels, now being built by the PSA/Ford joint venture and also used by Jaguar Land Rover.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

But I thought the Prius was the only way to save the world from itself?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

GM via GM powertrain, VM Motori , or PSA has access to very competitive diesels, and I wonder what came of the memorandum of understanding between GM and BMW.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    GM via GM powertrain, VM Motori , or PSA has access to very competitive diesels, and I wonder what came of the memorandum of understanding between GM and BMW.
    VM Motori diesels aren't competitive, they're very old designs updated each time new Euro emissions regulations come out - the GM Powertrain diesels are updates of the Fiat JTD engines, more modern but not state-of-the art - the PSA diesels aren't available to GM as Ford Europe have a joint operation with PSA.

At one time BMW supplied the straight-6 2.5 diesel to Opel/Vauxhall for use in the Omega but they would only supply it in a very low state of tune and they weren't that reliable when used on Opel/Vauxhall service schedules which had longer intervals than BMW.

Opel/Vauxhall did use an Isuzu V6 3.0 diesel in the Vectra-C which replaced Omega, as well as Fiat I4 1.9 diesels, but the big diesel didn't get carried over to the Insignia.
    Last edited by Ruperts Trooper; 11-22-2012 at 08:10 AM.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information