Neither a small car nor a giant motorcycle

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neither a small car nor a giant motorcycle

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar voyager's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

Neither a small car nor a giant motorcycle

[If you are interested to know how to contribute to the process of 'redefining the automobile' and make money in the process, then check out the blue section on page 3]

Here's my suggestion for a double whammy: develop and build Saturn and Saab equivalents and have it marketed and sold on both sides of the Atlantic as Saturn Zenith and Saab 92.

Why try to beat the Japanese at their hybrid game if you can come up with a genuine new-generation vehicle that easily scores 75-110 mpg? Lightweight allows for lean, sustainable manufacturing and savings that may actually raise profit margins!!! The so-called Space-Efficient Vehicle would also be an excellent export product, particularly to countries that cope with severe air pollution and outdated, inflexible infrastructures. It is sleek enough to let authorities utilize parking facilities and freeways far more efficiently. No more asphalt required at the expense of our living environment. Of course, electric propulsion would also be possible.

With the front looks of a regular car and the rear cowling reminiscent of the tail of a big motorcycle cruiser, the three-seater SEV (most commuters drive alone anyway!) simply falls in to a new category. What we see is a front-wheel drive, semi-tricycle arrangement: two wheels at the front and two 'clustered' more closely at the rear. This provides better protection against rear impacts and better steering input due to a natural swiveling ability. The wheel layout enables a long wheelbase (comfort!) relative to overall length and a streamlined shape (economy!), which in turn gives the driver superior 360-degree visibility, especially to the rear. There's no passenger next to the driver to block his side view.

Why not spice-up GM's Saturn brand? Or have Saab take this 'crossover' in production as a successor to the ol' 96? Perhaps in the near future we all will ask ourselves: "Why did we ever drive cars the size of a teenager's room, with a weight of 20 to 30 times the weight of the driver?"
    Last edited by voyager; 10-20-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: "update" title

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: New Saab 96 and Saturn Zenith

Welcome to GMI Voyager:

Your insight is very fresh and creative. I often wondered why GM, FORD, or Chrysler chose not to bring 3 wheel vehicles into their line-ups, as the design would offer some innovation, cost reductions, and excitement to the automobile!

It their lack of innovation that I blame for the auto industry demise in general, building essentially what they have built from the beginning. It appears that perhaps in the future the Japanese, Indians or Koreans may be the first to come out with something similar as of late KIA is building a smaller lighter CUV the Soul.

If you have some information on some company experimenting or offering vehicles of this genre please comment.

Again Welcome, I look forward to your participation!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MalibuMaxxSS06's Avatar
    Thanks

A thought engaging design. The task force would love to see these ideas from 2 of the big 3 that are receiving fund from the government. I have also wondered why not 3 wheels as well. Welcome!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Taglane's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow those are awesome! What program do you use for that?

I think everything is amazing, except the headlights look a little dated. Maybe add some cool LED's.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks all you guys for the compliments. Yeah, I really put some thought (and time) in this. I put rough sketches on paper and had a designer make professional renderings. Funny thing is that it's all very basic (engineering) actually.

I guess the auto industry never seriously considered a three-wheeler because cars are all about having four wheels, like motorcycles are all about having two wheels. Yet, there are tangible benefits that can be derived from a (semi)three-wheel platform: a more streamlined body and a better resistance to toppling over simply because the roll-over line runs diagonally, which is important when considering a narrow track vehicle. There's more. I won't get into this.

Put my Space-Efficient Vehicle next to the little Smart ForTwo, and you will instantly realize that mine is more practical (three seats instead of two), has a better fuel economy because of its shape, has more ride comfort because of its stretched wheelbase, and is even safer because of its handling and passive safety features. Of course, there's this outlandish-looking eco-vehicle called the Aptera that I happen to like very much. Then again, it's a two-seater with vulnerable front-wheel suspension so it seems...

They say that Americans don't like small cars. So, why not get rid of the notion that a three-wheeler is a small car, and start looking at it as a handy runabout, thrifty commuter, etc. that offers more comfort and protection than a motorcycle is capable of. Any way, did you know that I formally sent in my vehicle concept and explanation to GM and never received any answer? One should think that GM would be interested in receiving any creative input. Well guess again.

I am not looking to use exotic and expensive plastics (with questionable safety attributes) and to put autoworkers out of a job. Nope, my SEV could sure use some old fashioned steel presses. Because of its cigar-like shape it has structural rigidity written all over it. So less steel will be needed (lightweight). Do you think Detroit, Washington, DC and UAW would notice?
    Last edited by voyager; 04-08-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Thanks

Very cool looking!

I wouldn't send my designs into GM. With my luck they'll change little bits and pieces and take full credit for them.

A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

Just to make sure: it's awesome!

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Very cool looking!

I wouldn't send my designs into GM. With my luck they'll change little bits and pieces and take full credit for them.

I am not too worried about GM stealing my ideas. Hm, is this GMinsideNews? First of all, my vehicle concept and design has been officially registered and secondly, it has been recognized by an international jury of automotive designers. Thirdly, would GM decide to come up with a similar concept that's supposed to bring salvation, then any judge or jury will probably ask why GM didn't come up with this in the first place. Why the hassle if you can simply build up goodwill from the start? There's another important 'knock-out' consideration I won't reveal here...

Well, go tell it on the mountain... that there may well be a "New Kid In Town" (to paraphrase the Eagles) if you want to. Life in the eco-lane?
    Last edited by voyager; 04-08-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Hm, perhaps the moderator could change the title. What I actually wanted to propose is to come up with a successor to the ol' Saab 92 (rather than the more commonly known Saab 96). The 92 had a pretty narrow track and was capable of providing limited accommodation to four people. My idea is to get rid of the fourth seat and rearrange the layout so three grown-ups can be seated safely and comfortably. It would make for the perfect commuter, don't you think? People are used to driving alone to work anyway.

PS: Thanx moderator!
    Last edited by voyager; 04-13-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    GeneratinGMobilizing
    "Motown callingArea 51"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: New Saab 92 and Saturn Zenith

voyager, do you have plans to make this considering you've registered it?
    you may be interested in vehicles that i race which have 3 wheels and have a monocoque carbon fibre body and can be powered by pedalling and engines I have been thinking of this idea of a vehicle like this powered by a motorbike engine with an aluminium body with carbon fibre subframes and fibre glass canopies

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    voyager, do you have plans to make this considering you've registered it?
    you may be interested in vehicles that i race which have 3 wheels and have a monocoque carbon fibre body and can be powered by pedalling and engines I have been thinking of this idea of a vehicle like this powered by a motorbike engine with an aluminium body with carbon fibre subframes and fibre glass canopies
    Sure I have plans. The whole idea is way too good to be left unused. Next stage is to build a demo/prototype. My primary concern is to find investors, broaden the basis for development. Takes time. There are already three-wheelers, rear wheel-driven using a motorcycle engine. The T-Rex comes to my mind. Easier (and safer) is to use FWD on my SEV, although RWD is still an option. I have been discussing the possibility of mounting a revolutionary new electric motor no larger than a 17 inch rim that weighs approx. 40 lbs and that churns out up to 90 HP! But also the possibility of using a revolutionary new variable compression engine that's about twice as fuel-efficient as a comparably sized conventional engine.

So, plenty of new technology. My guess is that the whole package needs to be complete before investors step in. Australia is an interesting country because of its obvious abundance of solar energy. Well... I have a good friend living in Brisbane... To use exotic materials like the ones you mentioned is not a realistic option. To keep prices low, at least 150,000 should be manufactured annually. That means that it will need to have a regular steel body and frame.
    GeneratinGMobilizing
    "Motown callingArea 51"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

the frame and canopy actually are fairly cheap to produce once the infrastructure has been set up it would be fairly efficient

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MalibuMaxxSS06's Avatar
    Thanks

Voyager, how about the engine that runs on compressed air (a la some dudes that power their cars with it in Discovery Channel's Futurecars)? The technology is not too expensive.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Weve run a whipper snipper on pure oxygen

Thanks
    My Ride

Hi Rory, dunno if all that curved glass will be that simple... The frame I agree. MalibuMaxxSS06, I am not a big fan of compressed air. Here in Europe it doesn't seem to take off either (unless you use it to explode stuff ;-). Why go through the trouble anyway if the variable compression engine builder I was talking about says the SEV can easily score somewhere between 75 mpg (gasoline) and 110 mpg (diesel)? Expect a 200 mile range using an electric motor with a 200 lbs battery pack.
    Last edited by voyager; 04-17-2009 at 01:45 AM.
    GeneratinGMobilizing
    "Motown callingArea 51"

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information