What is the difference between GMC & Chevy?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between GMC & Chevy?

Banned
    Thanks

What is the difference between GMC & Chevy?

I always heard that GMC was a better built truck in terms of quality. Is this true? I thought they rolled down the same line and just put different front ends on it. Let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: What is the difference between GMC & Chevy?

The Arlington, TX GM Plant produces Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade. Pretty sure it is the same people through out the day.

GM has used these brands to appeal the same product to different markets. GMC is the "Professional Grade" and Cadillac is luxury. Everyone else buys Chevy.

Thanks

Chevy are made on Monday and Fridays. I do my worse work on those days too.

My friend had a truck with GMC front end and emblems on the side had bowties.
    Find me at: Motor Gnomes
    Follow me on Twitter at: Motor Gnomes1

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likearock00
    I always heard that GMC was a better built truck in terms of quality. Is this true? I thought they rolled down the same line and just put different front ends on it. Let me know!
    There WAS a time when there were GMC trucks and there were Chevys and there were NO Cadillac trucks. They would have been made in different factories, and the Chevys would have been "cheaper" but not poorly built. Ie if the GMC was using fully boxed frame-rails, the Chevy might have skimped on fully boxing the frame rails in some places. Not as strong, but cheaper. If the GMC had a high-po version of the engine, the Chevy didn't. Then the brand-management bozos appeared and the lines between the brands began to blur. Now, the only difference is trim-levels. A GMC will start out as a somewhat nicer truck than the equivalent Chevy, ie more options, just as a Mercury will start out as a somewhat nicer trim level than the equivalent Ford, but the underpinnings, those things that the consumer doesn't "see" are the same. In recent memory, GM hasn't even been THAT kind, making the GMC, the Chevy, and the Cadillac basically the same truck with a different front clip. I believe if you were to go get a GMT-900 based GMC Yukon as opposed to a Tahoe, you'd have one more engine option, but I couldn't swear to it. The same is true for the Sierra and the Silverado. The Sierra has the top-of-the-line 6.2 liter motor, while the Silverado makes due with a 6.0 liter "Vortec-Max". Is that enough to make the Sierra "professional grade". Not to me. However, some people still remember the "Old" GMC and would never buy a Chevy, having believed/heard the same thing you heard. Oh, and, as I said, GMC trim levels are often much nicer than their Chevy equivalents, so GM keeps GMC around.

Outside of town on the bottom of Hood Hill.
    Thanks

I always thought they were the same thing. Just the GMC logo costs more.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC and Buick

They are rebadges, that's it. They are mechanically identical (minus the 6.2). What you are buying is the name, and it's percieved image, and the looks. I think the GMC looks better than the Chevy, even though the differences are only in the Front. So in other words the GMC grill to me looks nicer.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks guys!

Banned
    Thanks

They are just rebadges, but go back and look at the threads when the new Sierra and Silverado were introduced. I was amazed how people either loved the Sierra's looks and hated the Silverado's looks, or vice versa. If it takes a different front clip to get people to passionately love their truck, so be it.

Outside of town on the bottom of Hood Hill.
    Thanks

It kind of appeals to two different buyer types.

Thanks

I agree with Bvonscott, I like the Sierra's front end a lot better than the Silverados. Beside that there's not a big difference.

Walking
    Thanks

there is a difference i own a 2003 gmc sierra 3500 sle duramax and ive seen the 2003 silverado duramax and my drive shaft is much larger i dnt kno about other differences but id say theres a larger powertrain if the shaft is larger its about 1in or 1 1/2in larger in diameter

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by hunter712 View Post
    there is a difference i own a 2003 gmc sierra 3500 sle duramax and ive seen the 2003 silverado duramax and my drive shaft is much larger i dnt kno about other differences but id say theres a larger powertrain if the shaft is larger its about 1in or 1 1/2in larger in diameter

And what configurations are each of those trucks in? A dually might have a slightly larger one because it can tow more than an SRW truck. They are the same truck mechanically (2500hd to 2500hd, 3500 to 3500).

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

no, just the price.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!

If you take a second and look at the Equinox/Terrain, you can see where GM will be taking GMC in relation to Chevy. The terrain offers more standard features and unique styling at a slightly higher price. I suspect the next gen Silverado/Sierra and Tahoe/Yukon will follow suit.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks

GMC trucks and truck-based SUVs are just rebadged Chevys. At one time GMCs costed a little more but had more standard features and where a little more upscale, but even that seems to have eroded. The Denali trim is still a cut above LTZ Chevys, but again this difference is going away. Same goes for available powertrains.

The same applies for the new GMC Terrain and Acadia. Unlike other GMCs, though, they have completely different exteriors rather than just a new front clip and other small touches. The Acadia also has a totally different interior from its Chevy sister car. The Terrain has a virtually identical interior to its Chevy brother.

Oddly though, GMCs actually appeal to those outside of the Chevy fold. For example, Sierra owners' number one alternative was the ... Ford F-150. Most people know GMCs are GMs like Chevys, so most of us remain kinda shocked, but it is what it is. Because of the fact that GMC pulls in more customers from OUTSIDE the GM fold, keeping GMC rather than killing it off or selling it was important.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information