Silverado windshield noise

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverado windshield noise

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Silverado/09&59 Vette

Unhappy Silverado windshield noise

I have a 2011 Silverado 4WD Ext Cab purchased new in February 2011. It currently has under 10,000 miles and has never been in an accident. Recently I'm experiencing a lot of windshield "crackling" noise at highway speeds. It's very noticable and appears to be happening under windy conditions. Any suggestions or similar experiences from anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Silverado windshield noise

Visit Your dealer and say it it simple fix mostly problems with windshield sealant rubber/plastic trim proper fixing on glass , or/and other windows as well.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

a warranty repair as long as the windshield hasn't been replaced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    a warranty repair as long as the windshield hasn't been replaced.
    Good to know. I have a 2008 that has done it since new and I just bought a 2012 and in high wind conditions it does it as well. I will take it in and have them fix it.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Silverado/09&59 Vette

Thanks for the replies. I should have noted I have a hood protector/bug deflector installed, however, it's the very same protector I had on my 2008 Silverado that didn't appear to have this problem. In looking at other posts, individuals indicated the hood protector is what's causing the problem and additional sealer around the windshield is the solution. I will take the vehicle to my dealer to see what they have to say, as I hate to remove the hood protector. Regards........

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Hood protector on most models is a 5 minute or less removal. Your dealer is going to tell you to take it off and see if the noise goes away. GM is not responsible for noises caused by mods. You can be sure before they attempt any repairs they will dupicate your noise, and see if taking off the deflector makes the noise goes away, at which poinit they will cease attempting any repairs, per instruction by GM.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Silverado/2008/Victory Red

While googling "silverado windshield crackling noise", I found this thread, along with a solution from an aftermarket vendor at the first link with a confirmation at the second. I have an '08 Silverado and this noise has been driving me crazy since new when I had put a bug deflector on it. I had them on my '00 and '05 and they never caused any noise issues - maybe my earlier deflectors were shaped differently.
    http://www.stampedeproducts.com/FAQs/index.asp
    http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/che...FTMVIQID65G9SG

From the first link:
    "All Original Equipment Vehicles, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, after installing a bugshield can make noise due to redirected air, however CHEVY/GMC are the most likely to have this issue. They noise you are describing, “crackling noise sound at the top of the windshield at highway speeds” is simply caused from loose trim that runs down the sides of the windshield. The noise will happen at about 60 MPH and it depends on which way you are driving into the wind.

Good installers will either install tape or run a bead of caulk in between the trim and the windshield when installing a bugshield on these vehicles, preventing the trim from contacting the glass.

If you are experiencing this, you can fix it by one of these two methods, easily at home.

Other noise can be caused by the plate under the windshield wipers or a strip of rubber under the hood which it’s only purpose is to cover some screws or bolts on the vehicle. This piece of rubber can become loose and create noise.

All of these noises can be easily located and fixed to stop the irritating noises.

Detailed Drawing showing where to attach Double Sided Tape to prevent Wind Noise."

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

It's lose trim. I'm 6-8 and if I lean fwd I can see the trim flapping on my wife's 04 Tahoe.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    03 yukon xl

mine was doing that too, i also have a bug deflector but a cant remember if the noise was there before or not, i kinda forgot about the noise till i saw this thread as i havent heard it in a while, i think in my case it was the piece of rubber on the right side that covers the bolt cause i remember repositioning it (not because of the noise) and i havent heard since

Walking
    Thanks

i have had an 06 and an 09 gmc sierra with bug deflectors and both trucks the dealer sealed somewhere on the door seals and fixed the noise. if dealer installed the deflector they should know how to fix the noise

Walking
    Thanks

I just purchased a 2012 reg cab work truck 1500 2 weeks ago.I did just put on a bug shield today so that's not my problem.I heard the noise in just a few days that i had it and now it is much worse.Starts after you get up in speed.I'm thinking sure hope the windshield doesn't fall out.Called the Chevy garage where I purchased it and have a appt. for next Monday.Will post what the problem is.

Walking
    Thanks

Yes my 2012 is having the same problem.could hear it a little when I first got it but has gotten much worse in the last 2 weeks.I have a appt on Mon will post on what i find out

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    05' Sierra 3500 drw 4x4 d/max

I bought a brand new 2500 hd 4x4 in 07.5 . I took mine back and the dealer replaced the trim around the windshield . Noise left and even with bugshield no popping noise. I just traded it for an 05 diesel 3500 dually classic. Guess what same noise different body style. Interesting. Dont you think?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have a gmt-900 truck and have no bug deflector the noise could be caused by the 2 rubber flaps that cover the hinge top cut outs on the plastic hood cowl.

Walking
    Thanks

I have a new 2012 ext cab silverado, and i've noticed its making a crackling sound near the windshield. I have a bug deflector. What did you guys figure out was the problem?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information