GM Inside News Forum banner

Silverado & Sierra 1500 Configurations Impact to Sales

6K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  fastrehotrods 
#1 ·
I can't help but think the current configurations available on the lots are affecting Silverado and Sierra sales---negatively. I've been looking through so many dealer sites and autotrader and have found trucks that would meet about 80-90% of my desires, but they all come short in one way or another. I rarely see a heavy duty trailering package or a 6.2L. In addition, I see LTZ's without buckets (been on dealers websites for months), no brake controller, or no power sliding back glass. I also see so many white or black pickups--it's ridiculous. Believe me, if I'm going to spend high 40s, low 50's on a truck, then I won't settle for it not having certain options--even with the discounts. I'm guessing there's more like me out there and that's why GM has less than stellar sales on the new pickups. Sounds like GM needs to circle the wagons on marketing and supply chains and make sure they synch up!

#3 ·
Dealers order what traditionally has sold for them in the past. That's why you don't see great variety on lots. With truck prices skyrocketing, less and less dealers are willing to order more unique vehicles that may end up sitting for months on the lot, fearing it would cost them positive revenue. The dealers want to work within their comfort zone, and simply won't take chances on what they consider "risky" configurations. White trucks are preferred by fleets/contractors, so they always seem to dominate lots around here.

Now, I'm in the same boat with other enthusiasts where I know exactly what I want and what is available. I know going in that the likelihood of me having to order the car is great, as I know the local dealers most likely won't have the color, trans, etc. on the lot. This is especially true on other vehicles in which I'm interested such as the Regal GS and the ATS Coupe... Finding either of these vehicles configured the way I would want is nearly impossible. (I'm basing the ATS Coupe on the availability of sedans that have been ordered with manual trannies & trim packages (that I would want) in my area).:)

#4 ·
I was ready to drive 50 miles one way today to make a deal for a crew cab 6.2 with max tow that I found on a delaer lot, until I found out it doesn't have Nav. Who orders a $51K truck without nav?

Looks like I will be special ordering a 2015 later this summer.

#8 ·
In my mind, if you are going to pay that much money for something that you will finance, that depreciates faster than anything else you'll buy, it better be exactly what you want. My last two vehicles where exactly what I wanted and each time it was the only vehicle in six states with those options. Not a smallest regret for waiting or paying a little more to get the exact thing I wanted.

#9 ·
The order out really is the best route. We live in an immediate gratification society, but it doesn't(usually) take long to get your exact vehicle built. It is frustrating to see the lack of interiors, engines, etc. sometimes this is GM's supplier or designed fault(High Country constraints lately). Good luck with the search.

#11 · (Edited)
GM talks about how well the high end trucks above $40k are selling, and that's great, but they are forgetting the lower end of the market, and that's why their sales are not what they expected. Dodge is scooping up those sales and it has made impressive gains this year, at the expense of GM. I was at Callaway Cars here in Cali the other day and they had a couple GMC Sierra Denalis on their showroom floor. Impressive trucks they are, but the sticker was $62k...ouch!!! You can only sell so many high end trucks.

#13 ·
You can only sell so many high end trucks.
This is very true. So many of the trucks I've seen lately are either ultra high end or base model white with black grill work trucks.

Very few in between with the right options.

#16 ·
When I bought my truck at the end of March, a Cars.Com search of all types and styles of GMC and Chevy trucks sitting on lots was at approximately 200,000.

Its early June, and the count for the same search parameters is over 235,000.

Not that it is 100 % accurate, but pretty indicative that GM trucks aren't selling like hotcakes.

#22 ·
GM offers a truck for off roading but won't allow you to get it with a higher axle ratio...nice going guys

#24 ·
Seems like here in NM in every fourth parking lot I'm parking next to a '14 Silverado. Must be the exception to the rule. Well, OK, it only seems like it. My crew cab came trailer ready with no built-in brake controller on the dash. I gave the dealer the one I pulled from my trade-in but they refused it. Instead, they had their contractor install a brand new aftermarket one, no charge.

Being XXLarge I wouldn't mind the center console being a couple inches more narrow but I am otherwise totally in a comfort zone. My 6'2" wife with her two knee replacements is very happy. The thing about On-star GPS I absolutely do not like is having to first speak with a person to get directions.

Attachments

#26 ·
I hope some GM stuffed shirt is reading this . Exact reason I went with a Ram. All GM had was black interiors and no towing packages on lot's. Not only for that reason,got leather, buckets, nav, 3.92, two tone, and my local gm dealer wouldn't drop below $3500 off msrp. Ram $12000 off. Lovin the 8 speed.

#30 · (Edited)
I figured I'd offer my input on this. (After I finally figured out my user/password combination to my account I haven't logged onto in 5 years I see).

I've been a lifetime GM fanatic, which I learned from my dad. I currently have 6 GM vehicles, 2 Fords, and 1 Dodge (mostly classics), so I've definitely had a bias. I'm finally in the point of my life to where I can afford the new car I want, so I've decided on a fullsize truck. I tried very hard to like the new Silverados, and I've looked forward to the day where I could buy one for my whole life. I tried real hard. My initial impressions were that I hated the brick styling with the flat hood. There was too much chrome in the slab front end. And there were no model differentiations that I could see on the lot. Just looking around, there were the base W/T's with black grills, most trucks with standard chrome grills, and the super pricey Z71. I couldn't tell them apart, inside either. They tried to show me their "Rally" package I think it was, I had to keep my lunch down from that, talk about a mess. Then I went to check out the Rams. I saw a slick looking Sport that got my attention, super clean, sport truck look. Then I saw the Tradesman Express, same color keyed bumpers/grille, but slightly cheaper interior. Then I saw the Big Horn with just the right amount of chrome, and a nice interior, and many great standard features. But the Laramie was fairly reasonable as well. And all 4 of these had totally different looks, I can tell what one is from a 1/4 mile away. GM is dropping the ball entirely in my opinion. The GM is a great truck mechanically, but they can't sell me on that alone.

Which is why when I sell my restomod Mustang, I'll be buying a new Ram in about a month. Throughout this process my dad has gone with me to look at trucks. We drove both Ram and Chevy, and although he has bought ONLY GM trucks his whole life, he bought his first Ram last weekend. A Big Horn crew cab, and he absolutely loves it, couldn't be happier. For our purposes, both trucks tow what we need. I know GM's reliability over the years has been good, but Ram has been much improved, and a lifetime complete mechanical/electrical warranty can be had for cheap. Aside from that, Chevy said they would knock a whopping $2k off their MSRP, meanwhile my dad's Big Horn was had for $12k off, a $41k truck for $29k. And this truck had many features we liked that the Chevy we drove didn't, such as electric locking tailgate, electric sliding rear window, under rear seat storage + package tray (Chevy tried to talk up the additional cost accessory that accomplished the same), better looking (20") wheels, buckets/console, rear seat A/C vents (HUGE deal), rear floor ice chests (cool gimmick), 8 speed (huge plus), chrome (not black) ext. door handles, able to add trailer brake with plug in switch (Chevy said not doable/not prewired), just to name a few. But they were mighty proud of the bumper step (which I think is ugly), and the triple weatherstrips on the doors. Plus the Ram just looks beautiful IMO. There's not an awkward line, it flows, isn't too in your face, and has nice wheelwells (I used to be okay with the square wheelwells, now they have gotten comically square, looks hideous with any custom wheel/tire application).

I really hate to sound like I'm bashing the GM trucks, but I just wanted to let this out why 2 people who have been GM DIEHARDS their entire life are going with Ram. I'm just airing this out in the hopes that someone from GM will read this, and understand. Not going to change my patterns right now, but hopefully I might be swayed in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.