Quadrasteer Cons????

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quadrasteer Cons????

Thanks

Question Quadrasteer Cons????

Can anybody tell me the common problems with Quadrasteer trucks? What were the service issues? I'd like to purchase a used one but I'm not sure what bad things to look for. Why Did GM stop the offering of Quadrasteer?
    I'd prefer a non Denali. I don't want or need all wheel drive or all those creature comforts. And the 5.3 would do just fine for me.
    AJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC HawkeyeOC's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Quadrasteer Cons????

The few people that I ran into that owned them seemed to love them. They turn on a dime.

Not sure about service issues but your talking about more unsprung weight on the rear end, more width to deal with, more mechanical complexity. Lack of interest in it was why it was discontinued. A cost premium of 4k in the beginning didn't make sense to a lot of people.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 tama z71's Avatar
    Thanks

my dad will never buy a new truck again. thats how good it is

Thanks

as Hawkeye said, they stopped offering them because it was just too expensive an option and not many people ordered them. I've never heard of any problems with them. As a matter of fact I saw one on the road the other day!

Thanks

A guy at my church got a Quadrasteer Z71 when they first came out, it was really cool, but I remember hearing him saying it can be a little awkward sometimes. When he was at Wal-Mart not to long after he got it he was turning into a parking spot and swiped the rear of a car because it turned in so sharp! But then he traded it for a SSR(5.3). That being said, I have always liked the Qudrasteer trucks, but thought they needed to make it avaliable on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, cause most people who tow alot have trucks bigger than 1/2 tons!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar FamilyTruckster's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Avalanche -Inferno Orange

Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
    as Hawkeye said, they stopped offering them because it was just too expensive an option and not many people ordered them. I've never heard of any problems with them. As a matter of fact I saw one on the road the other day!
    You're 100% correct but GM hasn't quit on the quadrasteer. They say that once they can offer it at a better price , it will be back again. I've driven them and it takes some practice when you park it because it is so manuverable.

GM Pro Certified Sales Consultant/Business Manager
    - 2011 Avalanche - Inferno Orange

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone
    Thanks

I own two Quadrasteer Suburbans.

One is a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4wd Quadrasteer. Her name is Olivia, and I have had her since she had 6,000 miles on her. She was a GM executive car. She now has 80,000 miles on her, and she pulls a 7400# Airstream travel trailer on a regular basis.

The other is Daisy. Daisy is a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 2wd Quadrasteer. I bought Daisy two years ago when she had 23,000 miles on her. She now has 60,000 miles on the odometer. Daisy also pulls the Airstream long distances on a regular basis.

Neither Olivia nor Daisy have given me a moment's trouble with their Quadrasteer units. I have always had the Quadrasteer units serviced at a GM dealer every 15,000 miles, as recommended. I run both the girls in the four wheel steering mode at all times, and in the four wheel steering trailer mode when towing the Airstream.

I absolutely love the Quadrasteer. That's why I bought Daisy as a back-up tow vehicle. I want to extend the Quadrasteer experience as long as possible. I refer to Olivia and Daisy as my "Trick Suburbans". They can out maneuver a Honda Civic in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and do things with a 25 foot travel trailer that are downright astonishing.

The Quadrasteer option was somewhat expensive. When introduced in 2003, the Quadrasteer option was $4995. Buy 2005, it had been reduced to $1995. In the Silverado and Sierra, it was offered on both the 1500 and the 2500. In the Suburban and Yukon XL it was offered only in the 2500 series as the Quadrasteer unit requires a rear leaf spring suspension. 1500 Suburbans had already gone to rear coils by that time.

Quadrasteer Suburbans are quite rare, but are always easy to spot on the road. They have the five amber front roof marker lights, amber and red marker lights fore and aft of the rear wheel wells on extended splash guards, and and three red marker lights on the rear directly above the center stop light. At first, I thought that all these lights were just a little bling to ID a quadrasteer. I later found out that they are required by Federal Regulations, as a Quadrasteers rear track is greater that 82". That's why you always see these clearance light on dually pick-ups. A Quadrasteers rear track is 5" wider than its front track.

I would really love to see GM reintroduce the Quadtrasteer.

Here is a shot of Daisy at work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian McCabe
    Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
    2004 Suburban 2500 Quadsrasteer
    2005 Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer

Thanks

What servicing does the qudrasteer system require every 15k? Grease points or is there some kind differential in them?
    ------------
    Goochman

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone
    Thanks

The entire rear differential unit on a Quadrasteer is different. The Quadrasteer differential requires a special synthetic lubricant specified by GM. GM recommends draining and refilling the Quadrasteer differential with new synthetic lubricant every 15,000 miles.
    Brian McCabe

Thanks

We have driven our Quadrasteers on many dirt mountain switch back roads, not usually the purview of Suburbans. With Quadrasteer, the Suburban can handle this more like a Jeep Wrangler.
    Brian McCabe

Thanks

I love these vids, but they are simply for visibility not reliabilty documentation, as they were when the tech was new...enjoy

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnT1REHS7j4[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhanzjEi4bY[/YOUTUBE]
    www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Walking
    Thanks

I've owned a 2003 GMC Sierra Denali since new. It is simply the best vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot.) It has been 100% reliable and frankly I have ridden it hard and put it away wet these last 7 years.

Replacing the diff fluid is critical. If you go over the 15K miles, eventually the diff will make a "grinding" sound in reverse. The oil is about $25 a quart (ouch!) from GM. New oil gets rid of the noise.

The QS technology was tested to destruction by the manufacturer Delphi. The Dana 60's are built for war. I carry a 1600# truck camper and flat tow a dune buggy and the truck just shrugs it off. They are rated to tow 2000#. The wide real track offers great stability, and I've added Firestone airbags and front wheels spacers so the front and rear wheels are the same width.

It is hugely entertaining to see the faces of people in parking lots when I make a turn. The vast majority of people have never heard of QS, so they are amazed when they see it for the first time. As well as the tight turning circle, an added benefit is that it feels like it's on rails on a mountain switchback. I agree with the previous comment that you have to be careful maneuvering in tight quarters because it can turn faster than you're used to, especially if you alternate driving a lesser vehicle without this amazing feature (like my wife's Toyata Sienna. A real lemon, but that's for another forum.)

The AWD system on the Denali is very competent too. I go off road a lot, and I've NEVER gotten stuck.

I will probably keep this truck 'til I die, it's that good. GM should bring it back or maybe Delphi should license it to another manufacturer. Doubtful both, I know. Anyway I'm just going to enjoy ownership, as resale values are pretty low and there is nothing on the market that can touch it in my opinion.

Thank you GM Canada and Delphi Corp. for creating this awesome machine!
    Andy
    Dana Point, CA

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyDale For This Useful Post:

Jesda (05-13-2014)

Walking
    Thanks

Sorry typo, the '03 Sierra Denali is rated to tow 10,000#

AD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyDale For This Useful Post:

Jesda (05-13-2014)

Walking
    Thanks

I used to buy a new truck every 2 or 3 years. I am now on year 8 with my 2003 crewcab quadrasteer. I've looked at the new trucks several times and the only thing stopping me is that I would have to give up my quadrasteer. If they still offered it I would have bought probably two other trucks in the last 8 years so they are hurting their truck sales with me anyways! But you specifically asked about cons. As others have pointed out you do have to be careful when turning tight when the tail end is close to something. You can switch it to front steer only so it is not a problem as long as you don't forget! I've yet to bump into anything. I park it with my collector cars and it is a tight squeeze (is any garage ever big enough?) and it is very handy when I put it away because by alternating between 4ws and 2ws you can put it right against a wall. I've only had one issue with it and it is a reoccurring one. That is when first driving it on ice if you slide the rear end with excessive gas it will sometimes put out a error code and go into 2ws. Shut it off and turn it back on and it goes away. This will happen to me maybe 2 or 3 times a winter and almost always as I turn out of my driveway before it has warmed up. I don't believe it has ever happened in the summer that I recall. More of a nuisance than anything else. It drives fine just like a normal truck when this happens but usually I just pull over and shut it off and re-start it.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a fun problem to have, the truck turns TOO well

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information