Noise from front left axle area 2007 GMC Sierra 1500

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noise from front left axle area 2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Walking
    Thanks

Noise from front left axle area 2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Intermittent noise and vibration from driver side wheel on 2007 Sierra 1500

Truck is completely stock. I have owned truck for only 5000 of the 74000 miles on the truck and it drives perfect most of the time. In the past week I started to hear a scraping/ grinding noise on and off of varying intensity accompanied by a rough vibration under drivers feet. I first felt it on a turn but realized it does it on turns and straights randomly. Then I was leaving the parking lot at the grocery store and while driving through the lot I heard a loud popping noise ( loud enough to echo off building and make everyone stare at my brand new looking truck) also accompanied by a jerking feeling below my feet. (Straight or turning) this went on for about a minute then stopped and I drove to mechanic. He drove truck, put on lift and heard saw and felt nothing. I drove the truck home and am hearing the grinding/ scraping noise - sounds like an automatic locking hub going on older vehicles, but I understand that the hubs are always locked on these trucks. This is all in 2 wd. 4x4 seems to be working but I swear I feel some abnormal vibration but not positive. I have used the 4x4 a few times since I purchased including once hauling some firewood out of the woods. This was about a month ago and I thought I felt and heard something then while climbing a hill but brushed it off at the time. Going back to mechanic on Thursday. Any ideas? Front differential? Bearing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: Noise from front left axle area 2007 GMC Sierra 1500

My first question would be do you know if the front hub bearings have ever been replaced? I have a 2007 Crew cab with a few more miles on it and the P/S hub went in it two months ago. It made the same noises as yours 2 weeks before the hub failed.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I'd say it's wheel bearing. A customer's 07 was doing this a few months back. The vibration and noise was intermittant which is not normal for a bearing failure. But sure enough, it started to do it more frequently so we could catch it.

SBC
    Thanks

Probably front wheel bearing,
    no need to "drive", simply jack up,
    grasp top of tire and pull in and out.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information