GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Quietly Introduces "Battery Saver" on 2010 Silverado and Sierra

13K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TuffG929 
#1 ·

PickupTrucks.com said:
If you’ve ever used your truck for tailgating, you know you can kill the battery by running a 12-volt TV, cooler or stereo. It’s easy to forget to turn off these items while you’re barbecuing and enjoying the celebration in the parking lot outside the big game.

For 2010, GM has quietly introduced a solution that will help ensure you’ll be able to start your truck after the party has ended. It’s called Battery Saver: Instead of automatically shutting off the headlights or interior lights after 10 minutes, if you forget to turn them off, Battery Saver monitors your battery voltage. When the voltage drops too low, the truck flashes “Battery Saver: Restart Truck” on the driver information display in the gauge cluster and shuts power to 12-volt accessories, leaving just enough juice to turn the engine over, so your battery can recharge.

Of course, if you’re looking for a longer-lasting tailgate vehicle that you don’t have to worry about pausing the party, you may want to consider the Two-Mode Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra Hybrids. On a full tank of fuel, they can power the party for a full 2.5 days before needing a refill. The engine starts up and shuts off automatically, as needed, to keep the batteries fully charged.
LINK

See less See more
#3 ·
My HHR has battery rundown protection as well but it only works for shutting off the interior lights if they are left on for 20 minutes with the keys out of the ignition. I had the battery die once when I was cleaning my HHR and had the radio playing. At the time I thought the battery run down worked for whenever the battery was drawn down (like with the keys in the ignition in the Accessory position) but I was mistaken.

RAP, "retained accessory power"...but yeah...shuts down all systems....my 98 park avenue has it...
Retained accessory power is a different system. It maintains power to the electric components so that you could listen to the radio or operate windows/sunroof after you have turned off the vehicle, removed the keys but haven't opened the door.

#4 ·
If you think this is something notice the flex fuel symbols, and where the door handles are located on the 2010's. . .I noticed that last week when i got my first 2010. Its different let me tell ya lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.