Edmunds 2007 Silverado LT Long Term Test - Transmission Failure

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Edmunds 2007 Silverado LT Long Term Test - Transmission Failure

ddl
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Edmunds 2007 Silverado LT Long Term Test - Transmission Failure

In Edmund's long term test of the 2007 Silverado LT they had a transmission failure where the transmission would clunk and wouldn't shift. This isn't very good PR for long term reliability when a public "forum" vehicle has a tranny failure (also happened to their long term Honda Fit).

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...on-repair.html

The article infers that a "rash" of similar problems have appeared and are caused by a forward clutch sprag failure.

There appears to be a TSB to cover this issue (NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021018).

DDL
    Last edited by ddl; 07-14-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: More detail added

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Re: Edmunds 2007 Silverado LT Long Term Test - Transmission Failure

Quote Originally Posted by ddl View Post
    ...... tranny failure (also happened to their long term Honda Fit).
    Are you sure it failed? I thought I read that Honda changed the transmission fluid (manual trans) for difficult to shift into reverse condition? Was there one that "failed" too?

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks

Sometimes I just don't believe these guys. Adding power will result in early transmission death for sure but with a stock truck the tranny isn't a weak point.
    My 1988 Chevy S10, 2001 Chevy Silverado, and 1976 Chevy K10

ddl
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    Are you sure it failed? I thought I read that Honda changed the transmission fluid (manual trans) for difficult to shift into reverse condition? Was there one that "failed" too?

No it appears to have failed.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...mped.html#more

However, as it was a manual transmission it might be more suspect to driver induced damage than would an automatic (left in fully automatic mode).

DDL

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post
    Are you sure it failed? I thought I read that Honda changed the transmission fluid (manual trans) for difficult to shift into reverse condition?
    Nope - They had to change alot more thant the fluid. http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...mped.html#more

2014 GMC Acadia
    2011 Equinox
    2002 Impala

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    Sometimes I just don't believe these guys. Adding power will result in early transmission death for sure but with a stock truck the tranny isn't a weak point.

My 2006 Silverado's tranny failed with 18k miles on it. It had towed maybe twice. Just the luck of the draw sometimes. Failures will happen to any brand or manufacturer. It just sucks that it had to be a vehicle that is being reviewed for the public!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Thanks for the links guys, I hadn't seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot73 View Post
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote!

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    Except they did nothing but drive the Silverado in this case. Like Edmunds or not, it was well reported early on after getting the truck that something always seemed wrong with the transmission and how it would bang or thunk into gears and just didn't perform all that well in general. The torque management, etc. stuff is well known, but they had mechanical issues beyond just feelings.

Replaced something early on and it came back the same, but they just kept driving because the dealer said all was well, though complaining about it--rightfully so--when they could. Though they always have preferred a lot of the interior and driving characteristics over their Tundra long-term tester, the Tundra's powertrain--at least compared to their specific Silverado--has been much more impressive and pleasnt.

It's odd, because such thunks and bangs and even early failures are not totally uncommon, having read over the years and even owning two 4L60E trucks. First was flawless but the second always had a--like Edmunds and their newer 6.0L truck AND many owner's reports I've read online--a harsh thunk into 2nd at times.

Still, nothing is perfect, but this doesn't help. Not that the standard of the world are Edmund's long-term blogs, but anything that goes wrong is well known and the experience such people have in servicing, etc. the vehicles typically does speak volumes.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought GM transmissions have improved since the 1990s automatic disasters....

I guess they haven't? It seems as though every long term Silverado in magazines like Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc end up in the shop for transmission problems or four wheel drive issues.

The odd part is that these transmissions are supposed to be pretty sturdy by now. How did GM not make improvements....I mean, they are still selling four speeds when everyone else has 5 speeds.

I hope their problems are limited to 6.0L vehicles. My 5.3L Silverado seems to be working very well so far...but only with 20,000 miles. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Occasionally I do hear a clunk when going from, say, a 30 mph coast to a light acceleration. I'm a little worried about it, but it's hard to reproduce for the dealers. You guys don't think it's related to this, do you?
    Last edited by member12; 07-27-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    I thought GM transmissions have improved since the 1990s automatic disasters....

I guess they haven't? It seems as though every long term Silverado in magazines like Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc end up in the shop for transmission problems or four wheel drive issues.

The odd part is that these transmissions are supposed to be pretty sturdy by now. How did GM not make improvements....I mean, they are still selling four speeds when everyone else has 5 speeds.
    The problem with GM is that instead of continually improving their vehicles they tend to find new ways to cost cut everything. I'm sure the tranny is no exception.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likearock00 View Post
    The problem with GM is that instead of continually improving their vehicles they tend to find new ways to cost cut everything. I'm sure the tranny is no exception.
    Tell me about it...GM "forgot" how to put clove box lights in some vehicles. They "forgot" how to make seat covers that last. They "forgot" how to make a manual transmission for Silverados. They "forgot" how to make tailgate straps for a while. These are things that they have been building for decades and decades....they shouldn't be screwing them up. That goes for automatic transmissions. Only severly abused trucks should have any automatic transmission problems before 200,000 miles- especially with all that stupid computer controlled crap that controls the engine output to preserve the transmission.

Edmunds has had a few problems with their truck. It's a bit of a dissapointment all around for Chevrolet, in my opinion. Transmissions, seat covers, and other "issues". Most of them are minor, but having a Silverado towed away (with photos) on a big testing service's website like Edmunds.com is a very bad thing.

If my truck leaves me stranded and the dealer pulls a half-assed fix and I feel any spec of uncertainty, you can bet this will be my last union built truck. I came pretty close to getting a Tundra anyways- and had I known the Silverado's "real world" mileage, I would have gone with the Tundra.

I am starting to feel like buying a Toyota is a more "American" thing to do than buying an American truck built by the UAW. Toyota designed that truck for the American market, and builds in in Texas with capitalist-driven wages. With all the union bickering, I am even closer than ever to going to the dork side.

As of right now, I am a fairly happy customer, though. I'm sure the new six speed trucks are going to have "as advertised" mileage, which is really my only complaint. It's probably still better than the Tundra.
    Last edited by member12; 07-27-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks

This is quite disappointing considering that trans has been in production for a rather long time
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I have a new 08 with what seems to be a transmission issue right off. Has absolutely no power on any incline wont shift without putting your foot into it. has been this way for 2200 miles (3 weeks) and today it seems to be working a bit. I am hoping computer but I have felt it tremor on a long uphill climb because its not downshiftiing. I have had an 07 and 2 other 08's that were identical to this vehicle in every way. My last one ran very well.
    Another sticking point is the real world mileage on this truck down 2 miles per gallon both on highway and in town (13 / 15.2) prior trucks have been 14.7 / 17.2 and my 2 06's were 15.4 / 19.4. Dealer is checking with GM but thats a slow go. takes a while for that.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

My Silverado's transmission was rebuilt at about 15,000 miles, but it was due to water intrusion during a flood. There was a TSB about a bad seal between the dipstick tube and the transmission case, and that's how the water got in.

Nowadays it seems to downshift after I've come to a stop, so I need to take it in next week to have it looked at.

Compare that to my dad's '94 Suburban that went about 215,000 miles before it's 4L60E needed a rebuild.
    Andrew - Facebook - Flickr - KD5FHW
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 ECSB LS
    2001 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT
    2008 Pontiac Torrent
    2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT Turbo - The Thread

Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information