GM Inside News Forum banner

Edmunds 2007 Silverado LT Long Term Test - Transmission Failure

25K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  AndrewGS 
#1 · (Edited)
In Edmund's long term test of the 2007 Silverado LT they had a transmission failure where the transmission would clunk and wouldn't shift. This isn't very good PR for long term reliability when a public "forum" vehicle has a tranny failure (also happened to their long term Honda Fit).

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/...sion-failure-part-ii-transmission-repair.html

The article infers that a "rash" of similar problems have appeared and are caused by a forward clutch sprag failure.

There appears to be a TSB to cover this issue (NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021018).

DDL

#2 ·
...... tranny failure (also happened to their long term Honda Fit).
Are you sure it failed? I thought I read that Honda changed the transmission fluid (manual trans) for difficult to shift into reverse condition? Was there one that "failed" too?

#9 · (Edited)
I thought GM transmissions have improved since the 1990s automatic disasters....

I guess they haven't? It seems as though every long term Silverado in magazines like Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc end up in the shop for transmission problems or four wheel drive issues.

The odd part is that these transmissions are supposed to be pretty sturdy by now. How did GM not make improvements....I mean, they are still selling four speeds when everyone else has 5 speeds.

I hope their problems are limited to 6.0L vehicles. My 5.3L Silverado seems to be working very well so far...but only with 20,000 miles. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Occasionally I do hear a clunk when going from, say, a 30 mph coast to a light acceleration. I'm a little worried about it, but it's hard to reproduce for the dealers. You guys don't think it's related to this, do you?

#10 ·
I thought GM transmissions have improved since the 1990s automatic disasters....

I guess they haven't? It seems as though every long term Silverado in magazines like Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc end up in the shop for transmission problems or four wheel drive issues.

The odd part is that these transmissions are supposed to be pretty sturdy by now. How did GM not make improvements....I mean, they are still selling four speeds when everyone else has 5 speeds.
The problem with GM is that instead of continually improving their vehicles they tend to find new ways to cost cut everything. I'm sure the tranny is no exception.

#12 ·
This is quite disappointing considering that trans has been in production for a rather long time

#13 ·
I have a new 08 with what seems to be a transmission issue right off. Has absolutely no power on any incline wont shift without putting your foot into it. has been this way for 2200 miles (3 weeks) and today it seems to be working a bit. I am hoping computer but I have felt it tremor on a long uphill climb because its not downshiftiing. I have had an 07 and 2 other 08's that were identical to this vehicle in every way. My last one ran very well.
Another sticking point is the real world mileage on this truck down 2 miles per gallon both on highway and in town (13 / 15.2) prior trucks have been 14.7 / 17.2 and my 2 06's were 15.4 / 19.4. Dealer is checking with GM but thats a slow go. takes a while for that.

#14 ·
My Silverado's transmission was rebuilt at about 15,000 miles, but it was due to water intrusion during a flood. There was a TSB about a bad seal between the dipstick tube and the transmission case, and that's how the water got in.

Nowadays it seems to downshift after I've come to a stop, so I need to take it in next week to have it looked at.

Compare that to my dad's '94 Suburban that went about 215,000 miles before it's 4L60E needed a rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.