Does GM still have access to Quadrasteer technology?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does GM still have access to Quadrasteer technology?

Thanks

Does GM still have access to Quadrasteer technology?

Who owns the patent? AFAIK Delphi's steering branch was transferred/sold to GM?

What is the likelihood that we could see Quadrasteer again? AFAIK GM said it would be an option again when it became cheeper?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Does GM still have access to Quadrasteer technology?

The name Quadrasteer was abandoned in 2009 by Delphi. With no customer the maintenance fees were most likely not paid for the patents so the inventions would be in the public domain. I loved Quadrasteer but there still needs to be enough potential customers.

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Nexteer (the renamed Delphi steering division taken over by GM) was sold off to Pacific Century Motors, a Chinese holding company. So, do they have access? Yes, but they no longer own the rights to it.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 tomcat_cool17's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS

Yes, we still have QuadraSteer (and patents) in our product portfolio. GM wasn't the only one interested. Nissan had us make some prototypes in 2004 for the Titan/Pathfinder/Infiniti products.
    "This is supposed to be a free market. If consumers need fuel efficient cars, it's their responsibility to buy efficient cars."
    "God will either lighten your load or strengthen your back."

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quadrasteer was killed in the first year by its entry price, $5k. The last model year it was under $2k IIRC.

Just like a lot of other options, GM said it was the customers fault for not buying the system but I highly doubt they believed that.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

I remember when Quadrasteer first came out. My dad and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Lowboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat_cool17 View Post
    Yes, we still have QuadraSteer (and patents) in our product portfolio. GM wasn't the only one interested. Nissan had us make some prototypes in 2004 for the Titan/Pathfinder/Infiniti products.
    There were many prototypes from many manufacturers running around Saginaw MI. I knew the tech that was in charge of installing Q-steer setups on all the prototypes and seen many of them myself. I'd rather have Q-steer than a backup camera, NAV, On-star, XM and a bunch of other "fluff" options.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I remember when Quadrasteer first came out. My dad and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
    Me too!! The GMT-800's were so innovative with all their new tech put into them. I hope the next gen is just as advanced as they were back then.
    Get used to more.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Quadrasteer was killed in the first year by its entry price, $5k. The last model year it was under $2k IIRC.

Just like a lot of other options, GM said it was the customers fault for not buying the system but I highly doubt they believed that.
    $2,000 doesn't seem bad at all for something I've never heard one person say a bad word about. Maybe if their customers had a chance to try it...

I always thought it would've been a great option to have on a Suburban.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    $2,000 doesn't seem bad at all for something I've never heard one person say a bad word about. Maybe if their customers had a chance to try it...

I always thought it would've been a great option to have on a Suburban.
    I'd say that 98% of the dealers had no idea it was a stand alone option in 2005. When it was introduced it had about 5 other things tied to it so it jacked up the costs. I still love seeing the 3/4 Suburbans with the cab lights. I know that person knew exactly what they were getting and are extremely happy with their vehicle.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

It was a great option/innovation. Bring it back GM!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I'd say that 98% of the dealers had no idea it was a stand alone option in 2005. When it was introduced it had about 5 other things tied to it so it jacked up the costs. I still love seeing the 3/4 Suburbans with the cab lights. I know that person knew exactly what they were getting and are extremely happy with their vehicle.
    I've never ordered a vehicle, do the discounts apply? Seems like they give trucks away on occasion... If they don't apply discounts I guess that $2,000-ish option could seem a lot worse when compared to a truck with $4,000-$8,000 on the hood. I guess???

Thanks

Definitely a cool useful feature murdered by cra ppy marketing.
    2007 Volvo S60R
    2005 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T
    1999 BMW 328i Convertible
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat_cool17 View Post
    I heard that their was a Nissan Titan mule with QuadraSteer. There was also the Quadrasteer 3.0 that never hit sales but their was a mule there is a story and photos of a mule on pickuptrucks.com here. It did not require a separate wider bed like the older quadrasteer variants. Could a quadrasteer be applied to a "sport truck" i.e something like a Silverado SS? Such a truck coupled with AWD torque vectoring could have some serious potential, X6M killer anyone? I hope to see quadrasteer as an option on the next line up of GM trucks but I doubt it, I would not be surprised if a competitor adds it as an option.

This seems to be the life story of GM for the past 30 years.

GM brings it out, not successful, then someone else brings it out becomes a hit and then GM may or may not bring it out again.

Examples off the top of my head:

The V6 Turbo off the Grand National, why didn't they add this to the pickups. GM could have been almost 25 years ahead of Ford on this one.

The 4 door coupe idea, Chevy had the SS concept back in 2003 before Mercedes came out with the CLS which has been a hit.

Chevy Silverado Dale Earnhardt Junior special (Specifically built for off road racing ala SVT Raptor) GM had the idea before Ford brought out the SVT Raptor, but Ford beat GM to the draw, the SVT has become a run away success with no competition.

EV-1: I don't think I need to explain this one, GM would have been lightyears ahead of everyone else if they did not cave in.
    Last edited by DarthVader; 08-17-2011 at 04:44 PM.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

At least it was a way to get a Dana rearend in a Chevy...
    1993 Chevy 1500 4X4
    2011 Chevy Impala LT Fleet (company car)
    2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (wife's)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information