Diesel power 1/2 ton Silverado/GMC pickups

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel power 1/2 ton Silverado/GMC pickups

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Diesel power 1/2 ton Silverado/GMC pickups

Just recieved my new DieselPower mag. and found an article that said the new4.9 V6 Duramax will be in the 1500 Silverado and Sierra in late 2006/early 2007! The heck with me waiting for the Colorado V8. I will buy a Silverado 4.9 diesel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Diesel power 1/2 ton Silverado/GMC pickups

This is interesting. What are the specs on this? This would give GM a unique niche in the Diesel truck market. I assume the V6 and V8 Duramax will both be available.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Did not have any specs, that will come later, sorry.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bouda's Avatar
    Thanks

Better have a six speed manual, that would be nice.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC nphillips's Avatar
    Thanks

This is huge news! I can only imagine the mileage of a V-6 diesel in a truck.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hdmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boblutzfan
    This is interesting. What are the specs on this? This would give GM a unique niche in the Diesel truck market. I assume the V6 and V8 Duramax will both be available.
    The 1/2 ton chassis can not handle the torque of the 6.6L Duramax, so, the answer is NO! The V-8 is only for the 2500HD and up!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard that the 4.9L was a V8 diesel...but I also heard from about as many sources that it was a V6.

If this rumor is true..that GM is making an efficient half ton that is affordable (and can still pull 7500lbs)...then they will be making a sale to me provided the 4.9L is a Isuzu and not a GM.

IDK about a GM diesel, but if it is a baby Duramax, then I will go for it...I don't want a gas to diesel conversion disaster like back in 1984.

I want the new Silverado 1/2ton...white, diesle, 4x4, 5 speed auto, extra cab....although that will probably be in high demand if it does happen, making it unaffordable for me.

THEY CAN CALL IT THE MIGHTY MAX!

Thanks

About time SOMEONE offered a light duty diesel in the US!
    "Eli got lucky..." - CobaltSSCrazy on 2/4/2008

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, the 4.9L is a V6.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Silverado 2013 Summit White

From what I have read elsewhere, the engine is a Duramax with 2 cylinders cut off (more or less), which would make it an Isuzu and not a GM gas conversion. Also, I would expect that it would tow all of 7500 lbs. Actually I would expect more like 9000 lbs. I think the limiting factor in such a package would be the 1/2 ton chassis, not the diesel.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC forsbach427's Avatar
    Thanks

if they put this into production 1500's the tahoes and maybe surburban might get it as well this would be nice. while thinking about it why not the colorado as well now i would buy a colorado if it had a diesell and i had no money for a 1500.

Thanks

Chevy had it right in the Mid 90's with the 6.5 TD in the 1500's. It was a crappy diesel (I know form experience) but it still sold very well. I know quite a few people with old-style 1500 Z71'swith the 6.5 diesel, they loved them with the exception of the unreliable diesel. If there is a diesel option with the new trucks it will be a VERY popular, If they keep the price reasionable. You load up a 1500 ext. cab with LT2, keep it cloth interior, throw on Z71 it is already $33,000. then you add $5000 for a diesel that gets it way to cloase to 40 grand, and for a 1/2 ton pickup that is unaccepetable, then if opt for leather that will push it over $40G's.
    Way to much for a 1500. I am all for the diesel option but it also has to be affordable. I would deffinatly concider one in the near future if they make it affordable! But if not I can spend $15G less and get a nice used 6.6 Duramax in a 2500HD.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1
    Chevy had it right in the Mid 90's with the 6.5 TD in the 1500's. It was a crappy diesel (I know form experience) but it still sold very well. I know quite a few people with old-style 1500 Z71'swith the 6.5 diesel, they loved them with the exception of the unreliable diesel. If there is a diesel option with the new trucks it will be a VERY popular, If they keep the price reasionable. You load up a 1500 ext. cab with LT2, keep it cloth interior, throw on Z71 it is already $33,000. then you add $5000 for a diesel that gets it way to cloase to 40 grand, and for a 1/2 ton pickup that is unaccepetable, then if opt for leather that will push it over $40G's.
    Way to much for a 1500. I am all for the diesel option but it also has to be affordable. I would deffinatly concider one in the near future if they make it affordable! But if not I can spend $15G less and get a nice used 6.6 Duramax in a 2500HD.
    Agreed. 7500 bucks for the current duramax allision combo just doesn't make since to me. I'd get the big block and save a truckload of cash.

Seriously, a 4x4 extended cab diesel will likely be sold to the buyer looking to save money on fuel and repairs- so overcharging them is just not going to fly. 30K is plenty for a diesel 4x4- it should be able to run with the 4L65-or the new 6L65, so the cost should be lowered. I think a $500 premium over the 5.3L flex fuel (already $1200) would probably hit the market just right...meaning about a $2k option over pickups. Knowing GM, they have to pair it only to an automatic, so I am guessing $3K total from a V6 5 speed....

Simply put...I predict about 200-225 horses, and 380-450 ft-lbs of torque- The Duramax Express van with the 520 ft-lbs comes with the 4L80 instead of the allision- so it can be paired with a more affordable tranny.

Now, I have heard of people with the 6 speed manual +6.6L Duramax in crew cab 4x4 3/4 tons that get 21mpg on the highway...I think for a 2wd 1/2 ton with rumored 4.9L may be able to achieve 25mpg on the highway- maybe better. With the hp/tq numbers I predict (with a drop in both per cylinder over the 6.6L) it would not be a slouch acceleration wise. For something that can tow what a 5.3L can tow, it would save way more diesel to more than make up for the cost of the fuel and engine.

I am betting that this engine could be a great option on the 1/2tons, and an entry level option 3/4 tons.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Range Rover Evoque

If they can do this in trucks, they need it in the SUV's also. I'm pretty sure the people down in Texas would go crazy.

2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2013 Cadillac ATS
    Past: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson
    Yes, the 4.9L is a V6.
    What is the word on the car V6? I read a blurb about a 2.9 V6 somewhere, it also mentioned a 4.5 V8 (which I assume was incorrectly describing the 4.9 V6). Unless GM is bringing out the diesels en force, which I can't really see.

Also is the 4.9 V6 a 90 or 60 engine?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information