Baby Duramax Back on?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Duramax Back on?

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Baby Duramax Back on?

http://tonawanda-news.com/local/x601...oring-together

".... she clicked through computer files to obtain the details of the plant’s new V8 diesel line, which is presently being installed."

Then, I found this, http://wian.se/sintinfo.htm with a nice graphic showing a new diesel lineup.

Wouldn't that be nice?
    Current:
    2007 Uplander LT 3.9 V6
    2001 Intrigue 3.5 V6
    1998 LeSabre Ltd 3800
    1993 Sunbird SE 4Dr 3.1
    1986 Sierra 4.3/TH375
    1995 Sierra SLE TC10753,L05
    1976 Sierra 350 V8/4-Spd 4x4
    Previous:
    2000 Malibu 3.1
    1999 Envoy 4x4 4.3
    1996 SLE Yukon TK10706 5.7
    1992 Sonoma SLE ExtCab 4x4 4.3
    1992 Sunbird 4-Dr 3.1
    1991 GP SE 2-Dr 3.1/5-Spd
    1990 Tracker Softtop 4x4
    1990 S-15 SLE ExtCab 4x4 4.3
    1989 SLE TC10753 350
    1979 El Camino 350
    1979 Sierra Classic 1/2 ton 350
    1978 GMC 1/2ton 454

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Re: Baby Duramax Back on?

Your first link is dated Sept 4 2011. Can you translate what is in the second link?

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

The site seems to be about the sintering method of producing engine blocks. The graphic: http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3...selroadmap.jpg

I was using Chrome which auto-translated into English:

GM is underway again with Duramax 4500?

The local newspaper has made a visit on 4 Sept iår at GM's Tonawanda Plant

http://tonawanda-news.com/local/x601...oring-together

"It's a great problem to have," Brown said, as she Clicked through computer files to Obtain the details of the plant's new V8 diesel line, Which is Presently Being Installed.

Its first engine is expected to roll off in March 2013th

It was precisely at the factory it was the g to launch production of the Duramax 4500 2008 but the threat of bankruptcy for GM came in between. It has never been def end to the mature V8 and now GM has a better economy and make bets. It had been a great success for Sintercast if they could bring the volume in the order book after being ignominiously removed before.

GM has no diesel V8a going on besides the one at the CGI. We are still hoping that the local reporter knows difference between diesel and gasoline. It may be news on this soon. GM has an engine display

Further details on the Project Could be announced at next month's Los Angeles Auto Show.
    Pressens days 16 -17 November, keep eyes on

And a repost of the earlier press release:

--------------

from 2008

[Source: GM]

PRESS RELEASE:

GM Plans First Light Duty V-8 Clean Diesel for North America

* High-efficiency V-8 scheduled for pickup trucks over 8.600 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight and HUMMER H2
    * Low emissions, high performance and excellent fuel Economy
    * Expected to deliver class-Leading Torque, power and refinement
    * Manufactured at the GM Powertrain Tonawanda Engine Plant

Tonawanda, NY - General Motors Corp. Will intro a new, state-of-the-art 4.5L V-8 Duramax turbo-diesel engine That improver fuel efficiency by 25 percent, reduced CO2 emissions by 13 Percent and cuts particulate and NOx emissions by at least 90 Percent of North American Light-duty trucks and the HUMMER H2 built after the 2009th

The premium V-8 diesel is expected to deliver class-Leading Torque, power and refinement while Maintaining a Significant fuel efficiency advantage over Comparable-output gasoline engines.

The new dual-overhead cam, four-valve V-8 diesel engine Will fit Within the Same space of a small-block V-8 gasoline engine. This compact size is made ​​Possible by Using the integral cylinder head exhaust manifolds, integral cam cover intake manifolds and a narrow block.

"This new GM light duty diesel is expected to Become a Favorite Among Customers WHO Require excellent towing probability and fuel efficiency," said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Global Powertrain and Quality. "It Will Meet the stringent 2010 emissions standards, and it Will Be compliant in all 50 states, making it one of the Cleanest diesel vehicles ever Produced."

Environmental benefits of the new engine include a 13-Percent Reduction in CO2 versus gasoline engines, and at least a 90-Percent Reduction in Particulate and NOx compared to diesel vehicles today. This will be GM's first engine to use a selective catalytic reduction NOx after-treatment system with a diesel particulate filter to help Achieve the Tier 2 Bin 5 and LEV 2 emissions standards.

Technical highlights of the engine include aluminum cylinder heads with integrated mania folding, a variable- vane turbo charger with inter-cooling, a Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) block for a Stronger and lighter engine base (compared to lower-strength aluminum or Heavies gray cast iron), and fracture-split main bearing caps and connecting rods for a Precise Fit. An Electronically controlled, ultra-high-pressure, common rail fuel system ice Distressed, Which speed the probability to inject fuel five times per combustion event to control noise and emissions.

"This new V-8 is not only a clean diesel meeting the Toughest Emission Requirements in North America, IT Also Delivers an effortless performance feel Because of ITS high torque across the speed range, "said Charlie Freese, executive director of GM Powertrain Diesel Engineering. "It is Also significantly quiete Than Other Diesel on the road today, with noise and vibration performance Approaching gasoline V-8 levels."

Freese said the new V-8's compact size enable it to fit into the envelope of a gasoline small-block engine , Which Provides GM the flexibility to intro this engine in a Wide Variety of Vehicle Applications Should there be future market demand.

The premium V-8 diesel engine is expected to deliver class-Leading refinement, horsepower and torque and fulfill multiple vehicle applications with ratings in excess of 310 horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque.

GM (Opel, Saab, Vauxhall and GMDAT) Currently offers 17 diesel engine variants in 45 vehicle lines around the world. GM Sells More than one million diesel engines annually, with products That sacrifice a range of choice from the 1.3L four-cylinder diesel engine sold in the Opel Agila and Corsa, up to the 6.6l V-8 Duramax diesel sold in full-size vans, heavy duty pickups and medium duty trucks in the U.S.

GM first introduced the Duramax diesel 6.6l V-8 in the U.S. in the 2001 model year and since hadeeth, customer enthusiasm for this heavy duty diesel speed Been outstanding. In fact, GM's heavy duty pickup truck market share hock Nearly jumped tenfold in the six years That Duramax engines havebeen offered.

General Motors Corp.. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, speed Been the annual global industry sales leader for 76 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employes about 280,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM Manufactures ITS cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2006, Nearly 9.1 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the FOLLOWING brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM's OnStar Subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM Can Be Found at www.gm.com .
    Current:
    2007 Uplander LT 3.9 V6
    2001 Intrigue 3.5 V6
    1998 LeSabre Ltd 3800
    1993 Sunbird SE 4Dr 3.1
    1986 Sierra 4.3/TH375
    1995 Sierra SLE TC10753,L05
    1976 Sierra 350 V8/4-Spd 4x4
    Previous:
    2000 Malibu 3.1
    1999 Envoy 4x4 4.3
    1996 SLE Yukon TK10706 5.7
    1992 Sonoma SLE ExtCab 4x4 4.3
    1992 Sunbird 4-Dr 3.1
    1991 GP SE 2-Dr 3.1/5-Spd
    1990 Tracker Softtop 4x4
    1990 S-15 SLE ExtCab 4x4 4.3
    1989 SLE TC10753 350
    1979 El Camino 350
    1979 Sierra Classic 1/2 ton 350
    1978 GMC 1/2ton 454

Thanks

So, would this baby duramax go into a 1500 series pickup, and if so, what would you have to do to the frame to make it safe to still pull what a 2500 could handle, ie, minimum of 8-10k llbs...or is this for real light duty and you would drop it into a tahoe/yukon or colorado??
    2002 Sierra 2500 HD dmax/allison

243,000 miles and counting

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC smithrobs's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if it is going to happen. My company worked on some of the material handling for this engine, and I personally designed packaging for the oil pan, turbo, front cover and some other pieces. I have not heard anything about dusting off the idled tooling for this; as of yet. However, if March '13 is true, I should hear something very soon to meet deadlines.
    Ironically, at the time I was designing packaging for the GM diesel, I was also working on packaging for the Ford 4.0L and the Chrysler Cummins "Viking" diesel's; all to be light duty diesels for their trucks. The GM and Chrysler obviously died, and the Ford apparently went with Rover at the sale of the division.
    All these economists, even the armchair variety, can be replaced by a good software package and a spanish speaking data entry jockey making 2 peso's per day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithrobs View Post
    I don't know if it is going to happen. My company worked on some of the material handling for this engine, and I personally designed packaging for the oil pan, turbo, front cover and some other pieces. I have not heard anything about dusting off the idled tooling for this; as of yet. However, if March '13 is true, I should hear something very soon to meet deadlines.
    Ironically, at the time I was designing packaging for the GM diesel, I was also working on packaging for the Ford 4.0L and the Chrysler Cummins "Viking" diesel's; all to be light duty diesels for their trucks. The GM and Chrysler obviously died, and the Ford apparently went with Rover at the sale of the division.
    Hmm, interesting....
    2002 Sierra 2500 HD dmax/allison

243,000 miles and counting

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm hearing the mini-max will never see the light of day as the cost overruns were massive with the program. GM may still offer a light duty diesel though.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I'm hearing the mini-max will never see the light of day as the cost overruns were massive with the program. GM may still offer a light duty diesel though.
    Can you explain your statement a little more?

If the mini max project is complete and the cost overruns are already paid for why not release the engine?
    Is it really expensive to build the mini max and therefor the limited number of engines GM expects to sell and therefore not profitable?
    The other light duty diesel you are hinting at must not be a GM engine otherwise why would GM invest the money in a second engine?

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Can you explain your statement a little more?

If the mini max project is complete and the cost overruns are already paid for why not release the engine?
    Is it really expensive to build the mini max and therefor the limited number of engines GM expects to sell and therefore not profitable?
    The other light duty diesel you are hinting at must not be a GM engine otherwise why would GM invest the money in a second engine?
    I think the logic is this...the design is finished and massively over-budget. Instead of taking the program further over-budget by investing into the manufacturing of it, they want to cut their losses and move on. If Hummer was still in the picture, I think this would be less of an issue. At this point GM does not seem to be of the opinion that they could ever get an ROI from this engine, so it is a non-starter.

Yes, GM may buy a diesel unit from another manufacturer.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC smithrobs's Avatar
    Thanks

There were alot of changes going on in the months before the project was cancelled, but the design was more than just finished. I had production ready parts that I was working with (major castings etc). As far as I know, all they had to do was set the plant up to manufacture. Why they haven't restarted this program is beyond me. The additional cost would be small at this point. Either the ROI couldn't be met, or something from an emmissions stand point could not be.
    All these economists, even the armchair variety, can be replaced by a good software package and a spanish speaking data entry jockey making 2 peso's per day.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithrobs View Post
    There were alot of changes going on in the months before the project was cancelled, but the design was more than just finished. I had production ready parts that I was working with (major castings etc). As far as I know, all they had to do was set the plant up to manufacture. Why they haven't restarted this program is beyond me. The additional cost would be small at this point. Either the ROI couldn't be met, or something from an emmissions stand point could not be.
    Three thoughts for your consideration ...

1. The Baby Duramax probably is a dead ended design about 2020 due to proposed US 2025 CAFE ... and ...

2. non-US-N/A worldwide regional geopolitical statutory requirements for radically reduced gramsCO2/km to avoid very stiff financial penalties per gram over limit for every noncompliant vehicle sold. South Korea's penalty increases to above USD $90/gram by 2020 ... if my sources are correct.

3. GM bought into the JV at VM Motori that already has several production diesels between 2 and 3 Liters
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

1. When the EPA gets thru with it, the fuel mileage and performance are not going to be so good. Different standards for under 8600 GVW.

2. You aren't going to be happy with the price of admission.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I just wonder why the Tonawanda News-reporter wrote about a new V8 diesel if there wasn´t any?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010 View Post

1. The Baby Duramax probably is a dead ended design about 2020 due to proposed US 2025 CAFE ... and ...

2. non-US-N/A worldwide regional geopolitical statutory requirements for radically reduced gramsCO2/km to avoid very stiff financial penalties per gram over limit for every noncompliant vehicle sold. South Korea's penalty increases to above USD $90/gram by 2020 ... if my sources are correct.

3. GM bought into the JV at VM Motori that already has several production diesels between 2 and 3 Liters
    1. I won´t be that sure as it has a modern block made of CGI and can stand several upgrades

3.The 3 liter V6 which is the major diesel, is too small for this job
    Last edited by Sint; 01-19-2012 at 02:05 AM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010

The Baby Duramax probably is a dead ended design about 2020 due to proposed US 2025 CAFE ... and ...

non-US-N/A worldwide regional geopolitical statutory requirements for radically reduced gramsCO2/km to avoid very stiff financial penalties per gram over limit for every noncompliant vehicle sold. South Korea's penalty increases to above USD $90/gram by 2020 ... if my sources are correct.

GM bought into the JV at VM Motori that already has several production diesels between 2 and 3 Liters
    1. I won´t be that sure as it has a modern block made of CGI and can stand several upgrades

3.The 3 liter V6 which is the major diesel, is too small for this job
    I hope for GM's sake that you are right!
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information