2014 Silverado K2XX is The Best Pickup in History.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Silverado K2XX is The Best Pickup in History.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 DODGE RAM ST RCSB HEMI

2014 Silverado K2XX is The Best Pickup in History.

The K2XX is the best pickup ever made. I bless my soul for living in this year of our Lord.

The Great Book of Time will record this as the year when GM took the competition to pickup school.

1. Styling unambiguously refers to the '73-'80 C/K series with its bold, right angles, flat hood and clean straight lines. The perfect proportions and the brawny new standard 8" wheels combine with large fender flares to emphasize the purposeful new look. GMC offers a completely different front fascia, headlights and grille shape, different fender flares and wheel well shapes for a compelling alternative. Both are strikingly beautiful, but the Silverado particularly is Clean Clean Clean - yet with plenty of shapes, textures and angles to discover. I'm impressed with the way the LT grille evokes past models while remaingin contemporary. This is how it's done - good taste combined with 'arresting' and eye catching flare. If you don't like the styling you don't like pickups.

Verdict: Based on the best styled pickup to this point - but improves on it.

BEST STYLED PICKUP IN HISTORY.\

http://www.chevrolet.com/silveradovisualizer/

2. The balance shaft 262cid V6 re-captures the original magic of the Vortec in 1985: The V6 with V8 power. Now with a substantial improvement in smoothness, the engine is, once again, a fine replacement for a larger V8 and can easily power any 1/2 ton configuration. It will likely make 25mpg - matching a Dodge that needs two extra gears, three more cams and double the valves. This alone might be rembered as a turning point, but then there is the 325cid V8 which will match Ford's more expensive turbo dohc V6 and 305cid dohc V8 in power - *and* match V6 turbo MPG ratings. But it will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and cheaper to maintain or repair than either one. Thanks to a lower friction and simpler design, it is inherently stronger and more durable.

Verdict: A Strong Value. It vastly improves on the best engine in pickup history: The Chevrolet V8.

BEST PICKUP ENGINES IN HISTORY.

3. Best Interior in History. The new interior features a standard six guage instrument panel - that alone is an enormous stride. But Chevrolet's Vanguard of Value didn't stop there. Now all trucks will get power windows and power door locks, along with 'premium' type door panels standard. Particularly for the WT level, Chevrolet changed the game with a standard 4.2" infotainment screen interface. In getting rid of the cheap WT interior, it's a 'game changer.' Also in using the same dashboard/instrument panel for all vehicles, GM shrewdly decreases build costs. Plenty of options ranging up through heated and cooled seats, massive console and 8" infotatinment screen are there for affluent buyers, but in eliminating a 'super cheap' WT interior with roll up window door panels, and big gaps in the dash/instrument panel, Chevrolet will gain a reputation as a more plush series overall, and one that gives more luxury for the money.

Verdict: Game Changing interior with mid-grade type features on value models.

BEST PICKUP INTERIOR IN HISTORY.

This is only a partial list. Why do YOU think the K2xx Silverado is The Best Pickup in History?
    Last edited by KingElvis; 12-21-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2014 Silverado K2XX is The Best Pickup in History.

This is only a partial list. Why do YOU think the K2xx Silverado is The Best Pickup in History?
    Well you have the bases covered on the high points. Now for the lows and the main reasons there will be no K2XX in my driveway

1 - No available man step. I been driving GM trucks for 25 years and never once used the bed because I can't figure out how to get in the damn thing. Ridiculous!

2 - No turbos. It's impossible to improve economy and performance without turbos. Minimum, one turbo per cylinder or it's futile. GM needs to get with the program!

3 - No independent rear suspension with air bags. Does anybody at GM grocery shop? I'd much rather scramble my eggs when I get home not before. Idiots!

4 - No twisty-turny thingy on the dash for proper gear selection. Column shifters are so 2012!

5 - No towing capabilities. I saw the Tundra tow a space shuttle. Amazing!

Ohhh! What's the use in carrying on? GM won't listen. Never did, never will!

Tomorrow I'll be heading to my local Honda store to checkout the Ridgeline. I hear it has some really nifty under the bed storage. If only GM were so innovative!

Pfffft, Posers!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 plane's Avatar
    Thanks

+1
    Awesome post. Nailed it.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Edmund Burke

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Wow!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

I want to like the new trucks but I can't. I feel that these trucks already look dated. They should have cane out 3-4 yrs ago IMO.

Here are a few things that I think that GM failed at

*Square wheel Wells
    *No finished exhaust. They still have a unfinished steel pipe showing its tacky
    *Nothing innovative with the bed. I would have liked to see a Ram/Titan/RidgeLine hybrid bed
    *To much body over hang. Sides,front and rear. Just to much body.

I really can't complain much more. I just think they are okay. Definitely "evolutionart, not revolutionary. Plus think about it.....these trucks will look really dated in 3 years. Definitely don't see it winning "truck of the year"

I hope the Colorado looks better and comes with the new 4.3
    You can tell that GM really cared about the ATS from day one. If GM cared about all its vehicles that way they would truely be #1.

Past ride: 1996 Reg. Cab S10: LS1 swap, headers, painless wiring, T56 manual, with a built 10 bolt, disc brakes, locker, lowered 3 inches--SOLD TO HELP BUY HOUSE

Current ride: 02 GMC HighRider Zr2: Line-X'd rockers, lifted,33's, winch,manual NP231, & alot more. SOON TO BE SAS w/ D44's on 35's with a 5.3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthd View Post
    Well you have the bases covered on the high points. Now for the lows and the main reasons there will be no K2XX in my driveway

1 - No available man step. I been driving GM trucks for 25 years and never once used the bed because I can't figure out how to get in the damn thing. Ridiculous!

2 - No turbos. It's impossible to improve economy and performance without turbos. Minimum, one turbo per cylinder or it's futile. GM needs to get with the program!

3 - No independent rear suspension with air bags. Does anybody at GM grocery shop? I'd much rather scramble my eggs when I get home not before. Idiots!

4 - No twisty-turny thingy on the dash for proper gear selection. Column shifters are so 2012!

5 - No towing capabilities. I saw the Tundra tow a space shuttle. Amazing!

Ohhh! What's the use in carrying on? GM won't listen. Never did, never will!

Tomorrow I'll be heading to my local Honda store to checkout the Ridgeline. I hear it has some really nifty under the bed storage. If only GM were so innovative!

Pfffft, Posers!

You cannot be serious!!

1. If you cannot figure out how to get in and out of a pickup bed, you should not own a pickup truck period.

2. Turbos are not the answer to fuel economy or reliable power in a truck, just wait till the ford's TT have some miles on them and we can see how good they are. You want 6 turbo's on the V6???

3. Independent rear suspension does not belong on a truck at all. Trucks are for work, not getting groceries.

4. Seriously going to complain about a shifter?

5. No towing capabilies? And you know this how? Do you have some inside info nobody else has?

Bottom line is GM and this website would be better off with you buying a Honda!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reds10406 View Post
    You cannot be serious!!

1. If you cannot figure out how to get in and out of a pickup bed, you should not own a pickup truck period.

2. Turbos are not the answer to fuel economy or reliable power in a truck, just wait till the ford's TT have some miles on them and we can see how good they are. You want 6 turbo's on the V6???

3. Independent rear suspension does not belong on a truck at all. Trucks are for work, not getting groceries.

4. Seriously going to complain about a shifter?

5. No towing capabilies? And you know this how? Do you have some inside info nobody else has?

Bottom line is GM and this website would be better off with you buying a Honda!!!!
    In fact he was not serious - it appears his tongue was pretty firmly in his cheek with that post
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks
    My Ride

4. Cab Construction. In order to increase capability without increasing overall weight (Ford, are you listening?) the new cab uses the most high strength steel in history for a lighter, yet stronger cab. But they didn't stop there. Chevrolet also designed a stronger cab by returning to inset style doors. The biggest improvement will come on extended cabs. These models, with their large 'suicide door' opening were notoriously rattle and squeak prone. Now, for the very first time extended cab models will feature a strong "B" pillar to brace the cab structure, eliminating rattles. Even better, the new extended cab doors will have outside door handles and hinges like 'normal' doors so that rear passengers can easily enter in crowded parking lots. Now the front doors will not have to be opened to allow the rear doors to open. But the improvements don't end with just increased strength and vastly improved passenger ingress and egress. New cab mounts will cushion lateral motions in tough off road running vastly increasing the feeling of solidity and isolation.

Verdict: Lighter cab with stronger steel, new B pillar on extended cabs that gets rid of the "DOH!" factor in allowing rear seat ingress and egress. Greater isolation of the cab in rugged off road use.

THE BEST CABS IN PICKUP HISTORY.
    Last edited by KingElvis; 12-17-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks

None of that frilly little grille shutters, knob shifters, and weak air suspension of the competition. Does anyone know if these new rear bumpers with side steps are optional or standard? I think it was just a ploy to save more weight and increase aerodynamics more than functionality for accessing the bed :P
    "If you truly wanted to save the environment, you would live in it, not on it." --KG

"Show me how to live, and I'll teach you how to die." --KG

Future President of The United States.

Thanks

1973-78 C/K line is still the best styled and best interior.

Stick a GenV small bock in it and it is damn near perfect.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by DenaliHD66 View Post
    None of that frilly little grille shutters, knob shifters, and weak air suspension of the competition. Does anyone know if these new rear bumpers with side steps are optional or standard? I think it was just a ploy to save more weight and increase aerodynamics more than functionality for accessing the bed :P
    I thought I saw a GMC without the corner steps - I think an All Terrain version with color keyed bumpers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DenaliHD66 View Post
    According to the chevy order guide the bumper steps are standard on all trim levels.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

I hope the Colorado looks better and comes with the new 4.3
    I think it will. I also think the Colorado will have the round wheelwells. I too like them. I'm actually pumped that GM chose to keep two trucks. Ford may have shot themselves in the foot by not keeping the Ranger. However, that decision I'm sure could be reversed so GM needs to get the redesigned Colorado here asap and take the market. Then again, the other angle is Ford really does have two trucks in the Super Duty and the F-150. Concerning GM, with a fullsize truck and a midsize truck, both crowds of truck buyers can be satisfied. I also have the feeling our Raptor fighter will be coming in the form of the Colorado. Which is fine by me... I may be completely wrong but it looks like the Silverado is being more positioned to take out the Super Duty and more truck oriented F-150 buyers. The Colorado will be aimed at the other end of the F-150 buyer spectrum as well as former Ranger owners. I think Colorado buyers will be in for some big surprises myself. That will make my father happy. He's been in an S-10 (or Colorado) for 20 + years. I know he wanted one last new truck before going to a retirement home. Not sure how much longer the old man can drive to be honest. The money is sitting there though for a new Chevy.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Hell, I didn't list why I thought this truck was the best truck in history. Define best. Let me say this, IF this truck in HD form had a SFA and tucked up frame, GM would make money Hand Over Fist selling HD Silverado's. I was flipping through channels yesterday and saw this video so I looked it up on Youtube. I don't listen to country much though many friends do. I'm more of an oldies rock-n-roll guy and even big band or jazz. Look at what's represented here. Chevrolet first and foremost, then Ford, then Dodge. Chevrolet is the most prominent by far.. And for good reason. They once were the best. People still want Chevrolet's but Ford and Dodge offer the offroad and hardcore truck crowd the goods. I don't want to stereotype too much but many of these good folks are of the same mindset, no beam axle, no go. If I was buying an HD, I look at it from an engineering standpoint and I end up on the same page.

Now, in 1500 form, this is shaping up to be my favorite 1/2 ton to ever wear the coveted Bowtie. Exterior design (Awesome).. on par with the classics...Very reminiscent of the 1973-1998 trucks combined. Top notch Interior quality, durability and Luxury (Very Important), Engines (Hey, it's a Chevrolet Smallblock, what more do you want?), Improved Sheetmetal Durability (HUGE), Stronger bumpers (again, huge) You couldn't build a step into the current bumper it's so damn thin and cheap... Is it 1940's thickness? No. I do however take into account CAFE. GM went Way to thin and chintzy on the last truck though and this fixes that. Rolled steel beds guys? Fantastic. I'm sure there's more to be listed but this stuff just pops right off the top of my head. GM has listened, they should be commended. They are once again poised to be the best.
    Last edited by FanOfDurant; 12-17-2012 at 03:15 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

"IF this truck in HD form had a SFA and tucked up frame, GM would make money Hand Over Fist selling HD Silverado's"

That just is completely false and has very very little to do with it. Most trucks you see these days have running boards which hide any frame and for those trucks a hugh part of the equation to purchase is engine and transmission (read Duramax/Allison combo, enough said). People dog the GM trucks calling them cheap yet they take the not cheap route (IFS) on the HD and get knocked for it?

"I look at it from an engineering standpoint and I end up on the same page"

Now that is laughable because it takes a hell of a lot more engineering to make a good IFS than a SFA. IFS>SFA in 98% of the situations most any pick up driver will encounter or want (especially HD drivers), the other 2% being extreme off roading and image conscious guy who thinks a SFA is an extension whatchamacallit...

Tyler

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information