2014 engine HP, torque, and fuel economy ratings . . .

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 engine HP, torque, and fuel economy ratings . . .

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali, Silver

Question 2014 engine HP, torque, and fuel economy ratings . . .

When the heck will this info be released?

I thought that I had heard this month, but there are only a couple of days left in January . . .
    Later,
    Lloyd C.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali, 2WD, Vortec 6200/6L80E, Silver Birch w/ Ebony Leather

2013 Can Am Commander XT, 4WD, Rotax 1000/CVT, Bumble Bee Yellow w/ black guts

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 GMC Sierra/07 Mustang GT

Re: 2014 engine HP, torque, and fuel economy ratings . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
    When the heck will this info be released?

I thought that I had heard this month, but there are only a couple of days left in January . . .
    Thats a really great question. For what its worth(I can't imagine much) when I was at the Detroit NAIAS I spoke with the gentleman who was there doing the talking points on the new GMC truck and he was told they would be releasing those numbers sometime in February. The are waiting for the SAE certified numbers... Again I would take this info with a grain of salt, but who knows maybe this guy somehow knew what he was talking about.
    Last edited by darryl32v; 01-29-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Remember who generates the SAE numbers and the EPA test results - the car companies themselves. They run the tests and send the results to SAE and EPA, where the numbers are accepted.
    The EPA test VERY FEW cars and trucks and mostly accepts the numbers given to them.
    So GM knows the SAE and EPA numbers RIGHT NOW and chooses to release them when they want, and not before. You will know those numbers when GM decides to release the information. They may hint at the numbers by calling them preliminary, like they are doing on the hp and tq of the LT1, but we will just have to wait for GM's actual announcements.
    Edit: if you care to look this up, the car companies run the tests in accordance with SAE procedure J1349. To comply with SAE standard J2723, there must be a SAE-certified third-party observer present to observe all testing procedures.
    Last edited by Dr. Show-Me; 01-29-2013 at 09:38 PM.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Dr. Show-Me doesn't know what the He Double L he's talking about. #1. The EPA and ONLY the Enviromental Protection Agency puts the fuel economy numbers on vehicles. The car companies have NOTHING to do with the EPA ratings. Sure, GM probably did their own internal tests but are waiting for SAE certification before releasing the Horsepower and Torque ratings. The total B.S. that people spew on this board with absolutely NO FACTUAL basis or information to back up their ignorant statements are way to many to count. So, let's get one thing straight, the listed fuel economy rating on all NEW cars and trucks are done by the EPA and not the car companies. If the car companies were in control you would see alot more over inflated fuel economy numbers.

GM will release the horsepower and torque ratings on their new engines after the SAE Certification tests are done and not until then. Capish???

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Barry Badrinath's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 300C AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganfan View Post
    Dr. Show-Me doesn't know what the He Double L he's talking about. #1. The EPA and ONLY the Enviromental Protection Agency puts the fuel economy numbers on vehicles. The car companies have NOTHING to do with the EPA ratings. Sure, GM probably did their own internal tests but are waiting for SAE certification before releasing the Horsepower and Torque ratings. The total B.S. that people spew on this board with absolutely NO FACTUAL basis or information to back up their ignorant statements are way to many to count. So, let's get one thing straight, the listed fuel economy rating on all NEW cars and trucks are done by the EPA and not the car companies. If the car companies were in control you would see alot more over inflated fuel economy numbers.

GM will release the horsepower and torque ratings on their new engines after the SAE Certification tests are done and not until then. Capish???
    Right from the DOE itself. All figures are self reported. Only 10-15% are retested by EPA for verification. The Doctor is correct.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

For SAE certification, the manufacturer pays for the test, and not all manufacturers choose to have this certification.

http://www.sae.org/certifiedpower/data/
    Last edited by Barry Badrinath; 01-29-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    It took 30 years to realize I DO like Corinthian leather...

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

IMO The reason the engine specs and performance numbers have not been released is "They are unremarkable". If the new HP, Torque and efficiency numbers were class leading GM would want that information out as soon as possible. GM knows people will wait to buy if there is something to wait for. The new 2014 K2XX engine numbers are merely "competitive", nothing great or we would have heard by now.
    Last edited by andretti; 01-29-2013 at 03:19 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, the EPA does not test all vehicles, that's why there are errors like the Hyundai's recent problem with mis-stated fuel economy happens. The EPA selects vehicle models to test at random, but most vehicles are tested by manufacturers and submitted to the EPA. http://www.nbc-2.com/story/20150075/...ed-gas-mileage "The inflated figures were uncovered by the Environmental Protection Agency in an audit of gas mileage tests by the two South Korean automakers. "

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by andretti View Post
    IMO The reason the engine specs and performance numbers have not been released is "They are unremarkable". If the new HP, Torque and efficiency numbers were class leading GM would want that information out as soon as possible. GM knows people will wait to buy if there is something to wait for. The new 2014 K2XX engine numbers are merely "competitive", nothing great or we would have heard by now.
    Or the fact that we might see a bump of 50 HP and 50 TQ for the 5.3 and GM wants to sell as many GMT900 trucks before they get into the problem of people waiting for the new ones.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

You may be right, but it's also possible GM just doesn't want to kneecap sales of the existing trucks while they're waiting for the new ones to reach dealerships.

(EDIT) Or bballr4567 could beat me to the punch.

Thanks

Last time GM started boasting the ZL1 would make 550+ HP and Trq. They mentioned these figures nearly 1 year before they officially announced 580 HP. Plenty of time for Ford to get to 660 w/ the Shelby. If GM didn't play their hand, who knows, maybe Ford would have stopped at 600?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 GMC Sierra/07 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by blaksabb View Post
    Last time GM started boasting the ZL1 would make 550+ HP and Trq. They mentioned these figures nearly 1 year before they officially announced 580 HP. Plenty of time for Ford to get to 660 w/ the Shelby. If GM didn't play their hand, who knows, maybe Ford would have stopped at 600?
    Good point blaksabb. This is my thought as well. All GM needs to do to early is say that the new 5.3L makes 385 or 390 hp and give Ford the change to make some tuning changes on the 5.0 and one up GM again. As bad as I would like to see the numbers, it is a good thing GM is holding out as long as they can.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Lets remember the new truck is a 2014 that will be available this summer....no need to tip the competition.

Thanks

Michigan fan, kindly limit your expertise to Michigan basketball and football.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

What automotive company in their right mind would release final specs this far away from the debut of the Corvette, and K2XX trucks? Because our resident truck expert who has been wrong far more than she has been right thinks the figures are unremarkable does not mean that actual truck buyers will agree.

DGA
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    What automotive company in their right mind would release final specs this far away from the debut of the Corvette, and K2XX trucks? Because our resident truck expert who has been wrong far more than she has been right thinks the figures are unremarkable does not mean that actual truck buyers will agree.
    But they did release a lot of Corvette's specs, especially the engine figures. Although Corvette has no real competition. It's easy to surmise that GM will put in as much as Corvette's power figures in the trucks 6.2. So I'm not sure what cat GM is keeping in the bag...5.3 plays second fiddle to the 6.2, while the 4.3 is the entry level mill.

Truck figures are what they are going to be. Currently Ford has them beat with every engine, so does Dodge, as well as Toyota, and I don't think GM's current engines are bad by any means.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information