2014 Chevy Silverado SS Spied!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Chevy Silverado SS Spied!

Thanks

2014 Chevy Silverado SS Spied!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/09...s-testing.html

Didn't see this posted anywhere else yet. Seems like it is a lot bigger than the last generation Silvy SS. Rear suspension seems tweaked also... not sure if exclusive for this SS or the next generation trucks in general. 9.5" rear axle also. I was always hoping for a 7.0L to be dropped in a GM truck somewhere along the line.
    "If you truly wanted to save the environment, you would live in it, not on it." --KG

"Show me how to live, and I'll teach you how to die." --KG

Future President of The United States.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Re: 2014 Chevy Silverado SS Spied!

Now that 20" wheels come on nearly everything, why would we assume this is an "SS"? You can get 20" wheels now, but there's no SS. It has tow mirrors - why couldn't it just be a Vortec-Max with the 6.2? It seems like just having color-keyed seatbelts and the same tires as an SS once had is pretty flimsy basis to say this is an SS. Pretty slim exhaust pipe and even the most recent SS AWD had a little lower riding suspension.

Really love the basic proportions of the K2xx
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Doubt it's an SS.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

Thanks

I have a sinking feeling the next gen pick-ups from GM will be completely boring

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    I have a sinking feeling the next gen pick-ups from GM will be completely boring
    Agreed on the gut feeling part, but only time will tell. However, from a design standpoint, GM it seems has always tried to take the conservative middle road in styling. Post millenium F-150's have retained that aerodynamic and swept back look, while on the other end of the spectrum, Ram's have always been on the aggressive/in your face side. GM usually slots in with a conservative boxy look, and has pretty much maintained that since the CK trucks.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Doubt it's an SS.
    +2. Funny how they wrote that it uses the same tire and size as the last SS. Someone didn't do their homework as that tire and exact size have been on 20" truck wheels since the 07 redesign.

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

Thanks

Well the truck almost appears to be on a heavy duty chassis. If anything, it looks like a Z71 model with 20" rims and low profile tires. Pretty much a contradiction to where half ton trucks are going by looking like its lifted, so I doubt an SS is going to be included in the first round of these trucks being released. Like someone else said, it could be a Vortec Max with a heavy towing capacity or something, given the tow mirrors and large rear axle.
    "If you truly wanted to save the environment, you would live in it, not on it." --KG

Thanks

I don't see how we should assume that's an SS.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

It could be just a power train mule. Took a standard silverado put on street tires just to test the power train. Hopefully they'd offer an as in a reg cab too
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

Thanks

I hope they do make an SS Silverado and even an SS Tahoe.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE

If GM produces a limited production, special truck, I'd prefer it to have more off road capability instead of a straight line street racer.
    2014 2SS/RS 1LE w/ Performance Exhaust

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith7629 View Post
    If GM produces a limited production, special truck, I'd prefer it to have more off road capability instead of a straight line street racer.
    Let's agree they need SOMETHING that is aimed at being off road competent. Raptor and Power Wagon are awesome trucks. I think the whole 'baja racer' premise of the Raptor and other trucks is overrated and underused, which is why they have switched their marketing and product to be more of an all-around off roading truck. GM needs something with e-lockers, great articulation, and a diesel engine option. Oh wait...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 sfbreh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,274 Posts

A Silverado Raptor is a dream come true...

Quote Originally Posted by rjc333 View Post
    Agreed on the gut feeling part, but only time will tell. However, from a design standpoint, GM it seems has always tried to take the conservative middle road in styling. Post millenium F-150's have retained that aerodynamic and swept back look, while on the other end of the spectrum, Ram's have always been on the aggressive/in your face side. GM usually slots in with a conservative boxy look, and has pretty much maintained that since the CK trucks.
    An astute assessment. I agree on the gut feeling, as well... I'm expecting to be in the market for a pickup in this next generation if not the next after. I would REALLY love to buy a Silverado HD over a Super Duty or a Ram. Still holding out for the Sierra to be a dynamite car. To be honest, though, I love simplicity in design. It's just, I love aggression, too. I hope the Silverado has both, and if not, I hope the Sierra is a truly stunning pickup.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

This better not be an SS variant.
    Get used to more.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

I like the SS and think it's an important truck. It's also relatively easy to do so I'm sure one will be along. If I lived in the South where I had no winters or a place without trails to have some fun on, the SS Silverado would probably be my daily driver. It wouldn't be a 4 door like this truck though. I can only picture a sport truck in standard cab configuration myself. Standard bed or short.. I think a proper Power Wagon or Raptor fighter is more important though and should be high on the priority list. As mentioned, I too doubt this is an SS anyway. If it was, oh to have the 454 engine designation back... I suppose the 427 will suffice. While I'm a huge backer of the 6.0 engine itself, 6.0/6.2 as a name just doesn't sound all that great to me.

As for the truck itself, this is the first spy picture I've seen where I can say the truck looks rather appealing to me. I like the front end, I like the rear, I like the overall cab shape, I like the bed from the side shot. It looks like the fender bulges may finally be gone so I'm thrilled about that. The front looks kind of like a larger version of my 98 which I love. The tailgate looks rather flat making me wonder if there's a composite gate or maybe bed under there which would be fantastic. I like the slightly higher bedline. I like the straight window edges. I also like the overall stance of the truck. I see it has 4 wheel disc brakes finally so that's a huge plus. I also see the rear wheel liners so that's a huge plus as well. The wheelwell shapes play mind tricks on me. I much prefer the back half of the truck though. I like round openings the best. I want to restore a 69 I've had my eye on buying and it has those clean round openings. Next up would be the current Tahoe shape or that of my 98. Too square isn't my thing. I've never looked forward to a vehicle launch in my entire life more than this next Silverado.
    Last edited by FanOfDurant; 09-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information