2013 Chevrolet Avalanche vs. 2014 GMC Sierra

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche vs. 2014 GMC Sierra

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMTruckGuy74's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Envoy SLT/2006/White

2013 Chevrolet Avalanche vs. 2014 GMC Sierra

I'm putting this out there for comment and insight from the members here. I am in a dilemma on what to do regarding two vehicles - the 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4WD and the 2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4WD (SLE or possibly SLT). Is there anyone here that would vote for the Avalanche over the all-new K2xxx Sierra? I'd like to get your take on the two choices. BTW, I'd likely try to lease the Avalanche just in case I decided in the near future that the Sierra is too good to pass up. Thanks!
    Still plays with TRUCKS...

GMC Truck fan & long-time Pontiac enthusiast
    - My ride: 2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD
    - Wife's ride: 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche vs. 2014 GMC Sierra

I have a Avalanche, the best and greatest truck I have ever owned. Downside I hate the 5.3 motors they are trash, and how long it takes to remove rear cargo covers, and fold down seats just in case I need to haul something, but positives of the truck outweight the negatives 10 to 1. Storage is great, and looks are great. I wish there would be a updated version for 2014 but hey GM is smarter then us I guess.

I like the new trucks as well, and the only reason I would go that way is just so I could have the most recent tech, and upated body style.

I would love to have a 2014 Silvy, but is it really worth getting rid of a truck I love just because I can get a newer body style, only if GM made a updated Avy I could just get a new one of those and be even happier.

I know this did not help you, but Good luck with your choice, but to me its a win win situation.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

Thanks

Avalanche does not have a incentivised lease program. Your payment will be higher than a 60 month finance. I just tried to work one for a customer yesterday. No bank wants the Avalanche back in three years.
    Incidentally, why are you mentioning Avalanche vs. '14 Sierra and not the new Silverado? Just curious.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Why are the 5.3's trash?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pisswilly View Post
    Why are the 5.3's trash?
    Oil consumption problem, I have a 2007 its been it the shop like 7 times never has been fixed burns oil, blows black and white smoke. Took it to Blossom Chevy in Indy Six repairs never has fixed the problem, then tried Penske in Indy fixed the problem first time I took it. I like the idea of the 5.3 but they just now figured out that the AFM cause it to burn oil. I have had rings and pistons done, heads done, injectors cleaned the list went on and on. I was just lucky the Penske finally got it right.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Abraham5G's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    SuperCrew/2002/Blue Flame

Sierra bc it has the latest technology
    FORD

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    Oil consumption problem, I have a 2007 its been it the shop like 7 times never has been fixed burns oil, blows black and white smoke. Took it to Blossom Chevy in Indy Six repairs never has fixed the problem, then tried Penske in Indy fixed the problem first time I took it. I like the idea of the 5.3 but they just now figured out that the AFM cause it to burn oil. I have had rings and pistons done, heads done, injectors cleaned the list went on and on. I was just lucky the Penske finally got it right.
    Did you ever try to turn off AFM? I heard that is the reason they burn oil. I have a 07 Silverado with 44k miles and it does burn oil, but not as severely as yours. What did they do to fix the problem?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham5G View Post
    Sierra bc it has the latest technology
    True....but I will miss the Avalanche. I'd love to buy one now if it didn't have such a dated interior. I never understood why people liked that dash- it reminded me of an Impala (and that ain't a good thing).
    Get used to more.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Envoy SLT/2006/White

Thanks all for the input so far.

Quote Originally Posted by blaksabb View Post
    Avalanche does not have a incentivised lease program. Your payment will be higher than a 60 month finance. I just tried to work one for a customer yesterday. No bank wants the Avalanche back in three years.
    Incidentally, why are you mentioning Avalanche vs. '14 Sierra and not the new Silverado? Just curious.
    Well, that will save me some time and help with the decision making process. I like the look of the current Avalanche/Tahoe/Suburban over the current Silverado. If I was going for a new '14 full-size pickup, I prefer the look of the Sierra (same holds true for the last three series - GMT-400, GMT-800, and GMT-900). I could live with the looks of the Av, but I'm not crazy with how monochromatic they are (I like chrome front & rear bumpers!).

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Pisswilly View Post
    Did you ever try to turn off AFM? I heard that is the reason they burn oil. I have a 07 Silverado with 44k miles and it does burn oil, but not as severely as yours. What did they do to fix the problem?
    I have 2002 Avy Z71 with over 200,000 miles. I use a synthetic blend oil and have no issues with it burning oil. (Not to mention, I have a K&N Cold Air Intake, Diablo Programmer, and Cut-Out Exhaust). I run her pretty hard including towing in North Georgia, still no problems.

BUY the avalanche. I would kill for the black diamond avalanche Z71 in fairway green metallic. Its the most versatile vehicle ever built. You have a four dour SUV that is spacious and comfortable for long drives. A truck with tons of storage. In the summers, I take the tops and tailgate off, fold the liftgate down and take out the back window. It's like a convertible BRONCO. Obviously I sound extremely biased, but I have owned FORD, DODGE, and CHEVY Trucks and nothing compares even after all the miles I have accumulated. The advantage to the GMC would be the in-car technology. GM out did themselves for this much needed interior redesign.

PHAT-JAY is right, only if they kept the Avalanche and upgraded tech features.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

K2x should be faster. They are 150lbs or so lighter than the '13 and have 355hp - 40 more than the current 323 V8.

To me it comes down to the preference for size because the Avalanche has a foot shorter wheelbase than the the CC 5.8 or EC 6.5.
    Check out my automotive blog http://elvisceralappeal.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Envoy SLT/2006/White

Thanks to all for providing your comments and insight. I've decided to hold off on a purchase now of a '13 Avalanche. I'm going to wait until the K2xxx pickups hit the lots and do a test drive. Part of my decision process will rely on that and the other will rely on how I feel with the new dash & features of the K2xxx pickups. I'm sure there will be some dealers with leftover '13 Avalanches come September if I decide to go that route instead.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Quote Originally Posted by GMTruckGuy74 View Post
    Thanks to all for providing your comments and insight. I've decided to hold off on a purchase now of a '13 Avalanche. I'm going to wait until the K2xxx pickups hit the lots and do a test drive. Part of my decision process will rely on that and the other will rely on how I feel with the new dash & features of the K2xxx pickups. I'm sure there will be some dealers with leftover '13 Avalanches come September if I decide to go that route instead.
    Smart move. Best to actually sit in the new designs. Pics are great, but they don't do a vehicle justice sometimes. Good luck and keep us updated on your decision!!
    Get used to more.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Envoy SLT/2006/White

Will do!

Walking
    Thanks

Glad I ran across this thread, I actually signed up so I could reply! I'm in the exact same boat, don't know if I should go with the 13 and old tech or the new sierra. If they were redesigning the av it would not even be a question, but I'm just so hesitant with it bring the last year for it. And the incentives are not helping! They sure don't have much money on the av right now. And who knows when they will have anything on the new trucks!

Thanks, just needed to vent a little!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information