2008 Silverado LT rear end noise

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2008 Silverado LT rear end noise

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Silverado LT, 2008, Silver Met

2008 Silverado LT rear end noise

My wife got me a new 2008 Silverado LT for Christmas, back in December of '08. It's a reg. cab, short bed, 4.8L, Silver Metallic, runs like a dream, and I love it. Today, 41,000 miles rolled up on the odometer, and all's well, except for an issue that's beginning to get on my nerves a bit. For about the past 5,000 miles, I'm getting a distinct growl or "whirring" sound from the differential. Loudest when warmed up, and between 45 and 55 mph. Pulled the plug (magnetic) on the diff. cover, it was loaded with metallic "mud". Decided to go ahead and change the lube, pulled the cover off, drained the original lube and inspected the interior. Everything's clean, no metal shavings, and the old lube was also clean and clear (purple color). Put Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube back in it. (It's the G-80 locking differential). I hate to do it, but I suppose I need to take it back to the dealer and see what they will do about it. I don't think it's a rear axle bearing. It sounds like maybe a carrier bearing that's gotten rough. (Had this same issue with a Ford F-150 I owned, over 30 years ago). I've had many other GM trucks thru the years that have had that "rear end whine", or gear whine that is so common with high-mileage vehicles, but this is definitely a growling sound, almost a low "roar". Question; anyone else out there having this type of issue with their Silverado 1500 pickup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Re: 2008 Silverado LT rear end noise

time for a new rear end sad to say my parents had a 91 caprice that kept messing up the pinion dearlership tried 4 times to fix it by just replacing the pinion and came to find out te car had the wrong rearend ( station wagon ) differential not the sedan one any way after the 4th try they pulled the plug all sorts of metal shavings inside they tried the changing lube deal but same thing parents ended up gittinrid of the car due to fact could not afford to pay to have the correct rearend installed anyway hope ya find a low cost solution to ya prolen scott

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it 4wd, and has it ever been driven in water?

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Silverado LT, 2008, Silver Met

It's a basic 2wd, and has been babied the entire 41,000 miles. Never towed a trailer or boat, or anything. Never loaned it out to anyone, has never been abused.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

GM's 8.6 differential has been known for along time to have bearing issues, rebuilt many for carrier and pinion bearings. They are known for axle bearings but most times they will leak if they're bad. See what GM will do for you, you would think with the mileage and the year you should have no problem getting it fixed but you just don't know anymore ............best of luck and keep us informed.

Thanks

Don't have to worry "what GM will do for you". An '08 has 5/100 powertrain warranty.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 X6

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Don't have to worry "what GM will do for you". An '08 has 5/100 powertrain warranty.
    I wouldn't be to quick on saying that. We just overhauled a 2009 Aveo with 81,000 km for the D16 transmission that the GM dealer said was abuse. How do you abuse bearings??? That is all that was replaced......the dealers do what they want.

Thanks

Perhaps in Canada...no such problems here that I've heard of among my contemporaries.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information