07 Chevrolet 6.6L Duramax Diesel Vs. 08 Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 Chevrolet 6.6L Duramax Diesel Vs. 08 Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel

6.0 Liter L76 V8 05ChevySilveradoSS's Avatar
    Thanks

07 Chevrolet 6.6L Duramax Diesel Vs. 08 Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel

I Started This Thread To Just See What You Guys Think About These Two Engines In Which, I Know Which Engine I Think Is Overall Better, But I Just Want A Few Of Your Opinions On Fords New Powerstroke Diesel, And How It Will Stand Up Against The "MIGHTY" Duramax Diesel.

As For Now The Duramax Is Still Rated At That Most Horsepower And Torque, But What Do you Guys Think Will Be The Overall Monster, Powerstroke Or Duramax.

Chevrolet 6.6L Duramax Diesel V8
    Horsepower: 365@3000RPM
    Torque: 660@1600RPM

Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel V8
    Horsepower: 350@3000RPM
    Torque: 650@2000RPM

Now Let The The This Thread Begin.
    Last edited by 05ChevySilveradoSS; 03-14-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    My Vehicles
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado SS--SOLD
    2005 Pontiac GTO--4,647 Miles--SOLD
    My Wifes--2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L 2WD LTZ--39,174Miles
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado Ext Cab LT 5.3L Z71 Off Road--341,514 Miles
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado Reg Cab 5.3L 2WD LT--49,394 Miles

Need a new or used Chevrolet? Well look no further. . . Www.Gwatneychevrolet.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Canyonaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 07 Chevrolet 6.6L Duramax Diesel Vs. 08 Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel

well doesn't really matter, I for one have had experience with the Ford SD diesel problems, and am not impressed with how it was delt with earlier in this decade.

The new Duramax looks very cool and I think is quieter then the traditional Navistar engines.
    Willy (from the Simpsons): Willy hears ya. Willy don't care.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

GMI Folding@Home Thread

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ford is having disagreements with their diesel supplier, you might not even be able to purchase the 6.4L powerstroke.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shabodah
    Ford is having disagreements with their diesel supplier, you might not even be able to purchase the 6.4L powerstroke.
    I wonder if Ford can keep 2 turbos going, couldnt keep 1 going before, now with a twin turbo setup, should be amusing. however the new Dodge V8 should be an good engine, loud as usual but better then the fords offering.

Also you cant just compare the engines, the duramx comes mated with the Allison, which as everyone knows is the best out there
    Last edited by MalibuMaxxSS; 03-14-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonaro
    well doesn't really matter, I for one have had experience with the Ford SD diesel problems, and am not impressed with how it was delt with earlier in this decade.

The new Duramax looks very cool and I think is quieter then the traditional Navistar engines.
    I have heard the new Navistar 6.4L engines. They are very quiet.
    Unless the new duramax is as quiet as a gas engine, then it is not more quiet. I understand the Nav is cleaner too.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 fenderbender's Avatar
    Thanks

Why did Ford put on two turbos anyway? I know one for high rpms and one for low, but the Duramax still makes more torque at lower rpms, and more hp at the same rpms. Not to mention the Duramax is hooked to the mighty Allison 1000 6 speed. Ford has a nice engine here, but they should have set the bar higher for everyone else, not fallen 1 yard short of a touchdown.
    Fender Bender

My Rides

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR-2 5 speed
    -K&N Intake | Custom Dual Exhaust | Cowl Hood
    Panasonic Head Unit | Dual Speakers | Legacy Rebel Amp | 10" Kicker Comp Subs

2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4X4
    -3000lb. Xtreme Winch| Removed Baffle
    Fog Lights

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 fenderbender's Avatar
    Thanks

Why isn't the new Cummins in here? It has a new 6 speed and has the exact same power as the new Powerstroke?
    Fender Bender

My Rides

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR-2 5 speed
    -K&N Intake | Custom Dual Exhaust | Cowl Hood
    Panasonic Head Unit | Dual Speakers | Legacy Rebel Amp | 10" Kicker Comp Subs

2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4X4
    -3000lb. Xtreme Winch| Removed Baffle
    Fog Lights

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 igor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbender
    Why did Ford put on two turbos anyway? I know one for high rpms and one for low, but the Duramax still makes more torque at lower rpms, and more hp at the same rpms. Not to mention the Duramax is hooked to the mighty Allison 1000 6 speed. Ford has a nice engine here, but they should have set the bar higher for everyone else, not fallen 1 yard short of a touchdown.
    wel lfor one the Dura has .2l displacement advantage a- which really accounts for the difference in HP and TQ. The 2 turbos are for IMMEDIATE power .. the small one spolls up very quickly providing moderate boost before the big one gets enough rpms to be effective.

I have a question: is the 6.6l Dura brand new, or is it an evolution of thge previous engine?

The 6.4l Navi is brand new and has sone very nice effiicency and reliability pieces like the piezzo injectors etc - but I have yet to hear of advanced things about the Dura? Please educate me

Oh PS: there will be 6speed tranny in the 2009 Super Duty next spring - tooling just begun.

Igor

Thanks

It sounds like the Dura has an edge in total power (although few could tell the small difference) and the Nav has the edge in civility (something most can notice).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Thanks

How much does a Ford Super Duty weigh compared to a similarly-spec'd out GM HD truck (i.e. both 2500s, both extended cabs, both 6.5' beds)? I always thought the Fords were pretty heavy - so the GM's HP and torque advantage could be an even larger advantage in the real world. Plus current availability of six-speeds would help, I'd imagine. I've never driven or ridden in either, though.

Thanks

the 2 turbos are for less spool up time basically, the first feeds the other, from what I have heard oil is trickling into the fiorst turbo while shipping and once the new trucks are fired up the first turbo goes kablammy, happened once in town here already, to a bran new truck right off the carrier..

the 6.6 is a evolution so to speak ut does have some nice features...

as opposed to typing it all I will post a link
    http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0...uramax_diesel/

this gives a good breakdown of the 'new' features...I haven ot 'heard' a new ford but Yes the LMM is queit like a gas engine, or very close

There are reasons the 6.4 is a 'new' engine as well, the 6.0 were crap and everyone knows it, Ford had no choice but to redo it, the duramax not so much, proven reliable engine, and like I said mated to a Allisson auto, with 6 speed tap shift, cant beat it...As C&D put it the new Duramax is tire smokin hot rod when empty.
    Last edited by MalibuMaxxSS; 03-14-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuMaxxSS
    the 2 turbos are for less spool up time basically, the first feeds the other, from what I have heard oil is trickling into the fiorst turbo while shipping and once the new trucks are fired up the first turbo goes kablammy, happened once in town here already, to a bran new truck right off the carrier..
    I have never heard of that shipping thing, or any warnings from Ford about shipping hazards.

Twin Turbo Idea is more to do with getting away from the Varible Vaine turbo that had alot of troubles on the 6.0L. Trouble with getting gummed up from the EGR system.

Duramax is having some troubles with their Varible Vain turbos aswell.

Time will tell for both of these engines, just look back to 1994 emission standards and rember the curve ball it through to the 6.5L, and Cummins

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Truck Triumph of the 60's!

Time will tell if the new 6.4L will be as much trouble as the 6.0L was. I have seen the new 6.4L, and under the hood is an absolute nightmare. Book says the whole cab has to come off for major engine work, including removal of the turbos. With all the trouble between Ford and International, I doubt the next Powerstroke will be made by International.

Thanks

The majority of previous problems were due to the fuel injection sytem in the 6.0L and it's manufacturing. That is now completely new and in fact state of the art with it's solid state Piezo-electric injectors. They are a far cry from anything else, especially the miserable oil pressure activated injectors from the 6.0L.

Oh, and pretty much the entire engine is new as well.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt Ford is going to fix their diesel engine quality issues anytime soon. If they had to sue Navistar because they weren't sharing the tremendous warranty costs equally for the 6.0L, they can't be that confident in the new engine.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2007702260402

"Navistar said it will stop making the 6.4-liter Power Stroke at its Indianapolis and Huntsville, Ala. factories, but added that the Huntsville plant will continue production for other customers."

Winner - DURAMAX
    My 1988 Chevy S10, 2001 Chevy Silverado, and 1976 Chevy K10

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information