GM Inside News Forum banner

Too Late to Change Name Verano?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  TriShield 
#1 ·
A dealer friend of mine who seems pretty connected to Detroit says no one loves the Verano name for the new compact Buick but the decision was made back under Fritz Henderson and can't be changed. Not sure why, some stubborn corporate mentality. He was told GM brass are upset at the negative reaction to the name and fear the car will get off to a bad start press wise because of the name. Excelle would be worst though.
No confirmation, but the main reason Verano was chosen is because the plan is to have a convertible version and Verano means summer. But unless the debut that convertible with the sedan, the name could doom the car.
I don't understand why GM would go forward with a name that no one is raving about.

#2 ·
What I don't understand is why Ford can change the name of the facelifted '08 Five Hundred to "Taurus" in a matter of weeks and the Zephyr's name to MKZ - while it's in production, but, if what you say is true, GM can't change the name of this small Buick after it's been nearly a year since Fritz was shown the door.

:think:

#10 ·
No confirmation, but the main reason Verano was chosen is because the plan is to have a convertible version and Verano means summer.
The G6 Convertible was also kinda planned from the beginning, yet Pontiac simply choose to keep it as G6 rather than any name resembling mother nature.

In all reality the name means nothing. But I still think it sucks. Where I think that Enclave, Regal and now Lacrosse all sound somewhat premium, Verano as well as Encore just doesn't do it for me. Electra, Skyhawk/Skylark, and Invicta all sound much better to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.