HELP 1995 Buick LeSabre stalling/dying

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP 1995 Buick LeSabre stalling/dying

Walking
    Thanks

Exclamation HELP 1995 Buick LeSabre stalling/dying

Can anyone help me.
    I have a 1995 buick LeSabre. It has slightly over 160k miles.
    It began stalling , and occasionally dying, last week.
    When it stalls, it completely shuts off the car for a second or so, and comes back on throwing all sorts of warning lights up. They randomly blink off and on for a second or two, then go off.
    When it dies completely, it stalls out quickly and dies. No warning lights come on. But it starts right back up.
    After dying twice, I parked it at a friends house and tried starting it again an hour later and it started right up..then seemed like it didn't have much juice in the battery and died.
    It wouldn't come back on for the rest of the night. The next morning, it cranked right up, but when I turned on my headlights it died. Then it acted like it didn't have much power in the battery( My dome lights/head lights were dim and flickering a bit.). Since then it's only done this a few times. Some days it'll drive fine (I'm only driving it down the street to the store at the moment), and some days it won't make it to the end of my street.
    I really don't know what would be causing this. I checked my engine bay grounds, and they all seem tight and clean(I probably missed a few though).
    I was suggested it might be a clogged fuel filter, but I do believe it was replaced about 6 or 7k miles ago... with a 250mile road trip, over the course of 1 week, within those miles.
    I was also told that the Cam Sensor Magnet's on these cars are prone to mess up. Could this be the problem?
    Or is it something as simple as a battery? I've been meaning to check the battery with a multi-meter but I haven't had the chance to yet.

I have replaced the PCM once because it was fried, and wouldn't let the alternator charge the battery.
    I didn't change the battery too though.

Other than all that it just has a minor oil leak from the valve cover gasket, which , from what I hear, is common.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I need the car for work.
    Also, I don't mind doing the work on the car at home. I hate paying labor rates at shops.

Thank you for looking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: HELP 1995 Buick LeSabre stalling/dying

Where'd you get that PCM?

I think the crank sensor is most likely the problem, not the cam sensor. I think it's behind the timing chain.

You desperately need a fail code reading before buying any more parts. You're paying in parts what you save in shop charges.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Where'd you get that PCM?

I think the crank sensor is most likely the problem, not the cam sensor. I think it's behind the timing chain.

You desperately need a fail code reading before buying any more parts. You're paying in parts what you save in shop charges.
    I can get the car scanned free. but that's it. It doesnt show any codes. Not even codes in the history.
    I had to get a junkyard PCM, because there was no "new" ones available.

How hard would it be/ how much would it be to replace a crank sensor?

Also, on the PCM's I switched out the blue chip thing(Memory?) from the one on the fried PCM to the new, used PCM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

The sensor (if that's the problem) is behind the timing chain. You'd have to remove the chain. Because of mileage/age, you'd need to replace the chain and gears.

You may have a bad prom (chip). There should be some type of code. This is like shooting in the dark. The chances of you stumbling upon the problem are iffy at best.

I'm all for saving money but this is like doing your own open heart surgery. If the prob. occurs often enough, it needs to occur with a good tech behind the wheel with a scan tool hooked up when it does.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    The sensor (if that's the problem) is behind the timing chain. You'd have to remove the chain. Because of mileage/age, you'd need to replace the chain and gears.

You may have a bad prom (chip). There should be some type of code. This is like shooting in the dark. The chances of you stumbling upon the problem are iffy at best.

I'm all for saving money but this is like doing your own open heart surgery. If the prob. occurs often enough, it needs to occur with a good tech behind the wheel with a scan tool hooked up when it does.
    Well, I'm somewhat skilled with carwork.. I worked 2 years in my highschool autoshop, and three other shops since I was out of highschool, but I was never taught how to diagnose problems. I was always given the vehicle with instructions on what to replace. So figuring out whats wrong is kinda my weak point :/.

Aside from that, I'm just gunna try and run the thing until it stalls, or dies, more frequently so I can try and zero in on the problem a bit easier.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma View Post
    I would guess a crank sensor, however a special tool is needed to install it...
    Sorry to revive this... But It drove fine allweek for me until my car died while rolling to a stop (must have been under 5mph). The electrical stuff in the car was still on, and there was pretty much every warning light illuminated, but the engine wasn't running. It cranked right back up, but when it was in park and I mashed the gas down half way and held it the car idled funny.

It would rev up to, i believe, around maybe 4,000ish RPM, and then go back down, then back up, like I was revving the engine.. But I held the gas down consistently. any ideas?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nailhead425's Avatar
    Thanks

Check your fuel pressure. I bet it is too high.
    Which would point to a bum regulator.
    Who is John Galt?
    -

Walking
    Thanks

If you started your car back up after it has died. Then you hold the gas down and it revs up and the rmps "drop", means nothing. Why it drops has to do with the govenor, it regulates the rpms and speed of vehicles and it would be located on the transmission. I have a 1995 buick lesabre, and also has been acting up. I can drive it fine for awhile then it just dies then the dash lights turn on. It also starts right back up. There is many things that could be wrong, mass flow sensor, fuel pump, fuel pressure, fuel injectors, fuel filter. More in likely a fuel related issue. I myself havent fixed the problem yet, but im pretty sure its the "fuel regulator". when the person commented about check your fuel pressure, the fuel regulator is what regulates the fuel pressure on your vehicle.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Shouldn't this be in the Tech Forum ?:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/

Thanks

First of all, you might check for any TSBs related to driveabilty for your car. Then check the ECM for codes, and finally, take the car to a competent mechanic who is up on newer automotive electronics, possibly a dealership or an independent that specializes in GM cars. If the problem is intermittent, it won't be a clogged filter or some other problem that never cures itself. If you have enough money to throw all the parts at a '95 Buick that are being recommended in this forum, then you wouldn't be driving a '95 Buick. But if you are Warren Buffet, you'd be driving an '06 DTS.
    Last edited by kgm777; 04-24-2009 at 01:47 PM.

jry
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chrysler 300, others

Hang on, friend. Cash for clunkers is coming.......
    '13 Chrysler 300 AWD, '14 Expy EL,'09 Escape Hybrid and shopping for a sports car.
    Good night and good luck.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information