Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

  1. #1
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 jlmartin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Greetings All,

    I attended the Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab invitational event at Monticello Motor Club - Monticello, New York. As they say, timing is everything and this was a perfect time for me in being able to evaluate Cadillac’s new CTS Coupe for purchase. I have a small break in my travel schedule in preparation for our new company launch in October. I also thought to myself, this is a perfect opportunity to connect up with my new CEO on cars. So, I contacted her and ask if she would be interested in attending a Cadillac event showing the new Cadillac CTS Coupe. She responded that it sounded like fun and she said I have never been at a track before. I explained that I was attending with the intent to engage performance test drives of the new Cadillac CTS Coupe and V Series models and I was looking forward to this and would make all of the arrangements.

    Separately, I had a small problem; she did not have an invitation for this Cadillac event. So, I contacted Cadillac customer service and explained that I wanted to invite an additional guest to the Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab, the CEO of a private investment company. The following morning, I received an email indicating that Cadillac approved her attendance and an email will be sent to her as an invited guest of Cadillac.

    The event I attended began at 7:30am and concluded at 12:30. This Cadillac event was excellent in providing participants with brief class information regarding basic racing physics and Cadillac's 556 hp performance engine, MRC, Brembo and StabiliTrak systems to enable Cadillac V Series cars to provide world class race track performance and street luxury everyday travel.

    There were three presentation and test drive sessions. First, the kickoff meeting with the head of Cadillac Marketing providing a brief overview of Cadillac’s V Series mission and the press reviews of the Cadillac’s second generation CTS V Series sedan. He noted something that I was not aware of, maybe others here on GMI who track these measures would have known, that Cadillac has sold more CTS V Series sedans than BMW’s M5. Then he stated Cadillac’s has sold more CTS V Series sedans than Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG. And finally said, Cadillac to date we have sold more Cadillac CTS V Series sedans than BMW’s M5 and Mercedes-Benz’s E63 AMG combined and the room full of attendees responded with applause.

    Following this session we divided into with three groups and my group left the club house in new Cadillac CTS Coupes where we attended our first lab classroom session. This session discussed the basics of racing physics, Understeer, Oversteer and tire traction. Immediately following we were assigned to race track instructors and we completed acceleration and braking test at full throttle in the CTS Coupe.

    After this we leave this area of the track and travel to another section and attended another brief lab discussion on the physics of braking and steering and Cadillac’s MRC, Brembo and StabiliTrak systems. And now we again pair off with our race track instructors in Cadillac CTS V Series sedans and at full throttle perform emergency stops and negotiate a slalom course.

    We again leave this area and return to the club house and attend our last session before getting on to the race track for a full test drive of the CTS Coupe V Series. A final instruction regarding driving on the track some safety information and most critical, the selection of your Cadillac CTS Coupe V Series and I selected a manual configuration.

    We again team up with our race track instructor and we head out for a review of the test track with the instructor in the driver seat explaining the use of key cones placed for us where we should point our cars on the track. We then return and exchange positions and the ultimate fun begins. I head out in first gear and I comment to my instructor, “I have not driven a manual in while”. He responds, “No problem, once we are underway you will be in third gear for the duration of the course”. Once I was on the track heading into the curves and accelerating and braking I found there is so much torque with the CTS Coupe V Series, he was correct, I never left third gear. After my third lap it was time for me to return, but I really did not want to.

    I had two missions for this event, to demonstrate the exotic style, world class performance character of Cadillac and the absolute power of Cadillac design to my CEO and be able to perform my detail evaluation of the CTS Coupe/V Series. I could not have planned it better; the day went off without a hitch. At the end of the event, I was able to spend the time driving back to Connecticut discussing her impression of Cadillac and her impression of Cadillac’s CTS Coupe/V Series. She quickly responded. “This is the most fun I have had at a car event and I can see how people become addicted to the performance of these cars.” I commented it is one the best I have attended as well. She said, “I must admit, I understood your fondness for Cadillac, considering your XLR, but I did not realize all that went into these cars. I was really impressed with Leann (her race track instructor) and I plan to complete the driving course as she has suggested. This really opens one’s eyes to the skill required and pure fun in driving these cars, thank you for arranging this.”

    Well, it was evident she was impressed with the day’s event as I was. I said, “I am thinking very seriously of Cadillac’s CTS Coupe V Series for purchase as my company car when my contract becomes final.” I have also decided on the color, Thunder Gray (ChromalFlair Pigment) with Ebony interior all optioned”. She responded, “I would have guessed that of you prior to coming to this event. But now I understand why you are so positive of Cadillac. I am very persuaded in favor of Cadillac. Thanks again that was so much fun.”

    Prior to leaving, I spent a little time with the Cadillac reps asking specific questions regarding the CTS Coupe and CTS Coupe V Series models. And my impression regarding Cadillac’s direction is very clear for the V Series line, it will be expanded as new Cadillac models are announced.

    All in all a fun day with Cadillac's V Series team. I recall seeing other GMI members were invited to this Cadillac event. Please provide your feedback and your impression.

    JLM
    Last edited by jlmartin99; 09-18-2010 at 08:36 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AUTOAMERICANA
    Posts
    4,570
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    I've been meaning to ask, does the "V" in the name come from the V emblem that used to be on Caddy's or is it just some random name/mean something else?
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]


    Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.


    Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 jlmartin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    I've been meaning to ask, does the "V" in the name come from the V emblem that used to be on Caddy's or is it just some random name/mean something else?
    OLDSCHOOLGMFAN,

    That is a good question and I cannot provide a response. Maybe another GMI member can answer.

    JLM

  5. #4
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8 mikesright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,306
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
    My Ride
    Impala/2009/Silver

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    I've been meaning to ask, does the "V" in the name come from the V emblem that used to be on Caddy's or is it just some random name/mean something else?
    V=Velocity

  6. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Amphibian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,575
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 155 Times in 107 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    I thought V stood for Victory. A quick Google shows it meaning both. Hmm.

  7. #6
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 impala02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Upper Valley
    Posts
    2,180
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 113 Times in 59 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Acadia

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    I've been meaning to ask, does the "V" in the name come from the V emblem that used to be on Caddy's or is it just some random name/mean something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmartin99 View Post
    OLDSCHOOLGMFAN,

    That is a good question and I cannot provide a response. Maybe another GMI member can answer.

    JLM
    I thought that the "V" stood for Velocity...but that may not be true.

    Jlmartin - sounds like you had a great track day at the Cadillac event. I'm really jealous! Did they hint at all about future product? And BTW, I am in love with the CTS coupe - there was a black one sitting out front at the dealership here in Greenwich - absolutely stunning.
    Last edited by impala02; 08-23-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: I see someone else already mentioned the Velocity designation.

    2014 GMC Acadia
    2011 Equinox
    2002 Impala

  8. #7
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Ghrankenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    3,704
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    That is a good question and I cannot provide a response. Maybe another GMI member can answer.
    It's also an homage to the chevron in most incarnations of Cadillac's badge. At the XLR-V / STS-V ride and drive that I went to back in 2007, the Cadillac people made a big deal about that.

    Enjoyable read. It reminded me a lot of the Corvette driving academy that I went to back in 2005. Of course, by instinct I shifted into 4th gear, and my ride-along instructor was none too happy. It was great fun, and a real eye-opener about controlling a vehicle at speeds, on a challenging course (VIR in that case), at speeds upwards of 120 mph.

    One last thing: I take it you don't have any pics? I could add some of my own, but I don't know what a combination of Robocop scenes and toads of the southwest would add to the article.

    Ghrank
    Last edited by Ghrankenstein; 08-23-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    NEW RIDE: 2008 Carp Poseidon (for fish-head delivery)

  9. #8
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 jlmartin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    I thought that the "V" stood for Velocity...but that may not be true.

    Jlmartin - sounds like you had a great track day at the Cadillac event. I'm really jealous! Did they hint at all about future product? And BTW, I am in love with the CTS coupe - there was a black one sitting out front at the dealership here in Greenwich - absolutely stunning.
    impala02,

    Yes, the Cadillac reps confirmed the ATS V Series and third generation CTS V Series. I did not hear of any other models coming to market.

    Hey, you say Cadillac of Greenwich has the CTS Coupe. I went by a couple of weeks ago and no sign of the CTS Coupe. I will go by this week and check it out, thanks.

    Seeing, feeling and driving the new Cadillac CTS Coupe and V Series in person more than confirms my initial impression of its exotic design when I first saw it at the NYIAS. I cannot think of purchasing any other luxury performance coupe on the market today. Cadillac has simply surpassed other offerings for my purchase consideration.

    JLM
    Last edited by jlmartin99; 08-23-2010 at 09:34 PM.

  10. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    5,154
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Nice write up, thanks for sharing your experience. I envy you, I only had a chance to sit in CTS-V coupe two weeks ago while I was waiting for the service. Really amazing curb appeal and superior presence. That V-Series grille looks great in person.

  11. #10
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 jlmartin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghrankenstein View Post
    It's also an homage to the chevron in most incarnations of Cadillac's badge. At the XLR-V / STS-V ride and drive that I went to back in 2007, the Cadillac people made a big deal about that.

    Enjoyable read. It reminded me a lot of the Corvette driving academy that I went to back in 2005. Of course, by instinct I shifted into 4th gear, and my ride-along instructor was none too happy. It was great fun, and a real eye-opener about controlling a vehicle at speeds, on a challenging course (VIR in that case), at speeds upwards of 120 mph.

    One last thing: I take it you don't have any pics? I could add some of my own, but I don't know what a combination of Robocop scenes and toads of the southwest would add to the article.

    Ghrank
    Ghrankenstein,

    I do know some other attendees did take photos and I have their email. I will ask if they will forward to me.

    JLM

  12. #11
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 jlmartin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by neshapop View Post
    Nice write up, thanks for sharing your experience. I envy you, I only had a chance to sit in CTS-V coupe two weeks ago while I was waiting for the service. Really amazing curb appeal and superior presence. That V-Series grille looks great in person.
    neshapop,

    I cannot say enough of how the Cadillac CTS Coupe and CTS Coupe V Series are in person to gaze upon. Other designs just seem, well inadequate.

    JLM

  13. #12
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 impala02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Upper Valley
    Posts
    2,180
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 113 Times in 59 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Acadia

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by jlmartin99 View Post
    impala02,

    Yes, the Cadillac reps confirmed the ATS V Series and third generation CTS V Series. I did not hear of any other models coming to market.

    Hey, you say Cadillac of Greenwich has the CTS Coupe. I went by a couple of weeks ago and no sign of the CTS Coupe. I will go by this week and check it out, thanks.

    Seeing, feeling and driving the new Cadillac CTS Coupe and V Series in person more than confirms my initial impression of its exotic design when I first saw it at the NYIAS. I cannot think of purchasing any other luxury performance coupe on the market today. Cadillac has simply surpassed other offerings for my purchase consideration.

    JLM
    JLM,

    Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. Hopefully by the time ATS V or the next generation CTS V comes out, I will be able to afford one.

    I've seen a couple of CTS Coupes at Cadillac of Greenwich over the past couple of months (I drive by there everyday on my way to the train station). They have also had a couple of CTS Wagons. I saw the black Coupe on Saturday and I was really tempted to stop in and take a closer look. However, there was no sign of it there today. On another note, that dealership is begging for an upgrade in the looks department!

    I really enjoyed the CTS variants at the NYIAS, as well. While the first impression was great, I think the Coupe looks even better outdoors in its natural environment.

    2014 GMC Acadia
    2011 Equinox
    2002 Impala

  14. #13
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 jlmartin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    JLM,

    Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. Hopefully by the time ATS V or the next generation CTS V comes out, I will be able to afford one.

    I've seen a couple of CTS Coupes at Cadillac of Greenwich over the past couple of months (I drive by there everyday on my way to the train station). They have also had a couple of CTS Wagons. I saw the black Coupe on Saturday and I was really tempted to stop in and take a closer look. However, there was no sign of it there today. On another note, that dealership is begging for an upgrade in the looks department!

    I really enjoyed the CTS variants at the NYIAS, as well. While the first impression was great, I think the Coupe looks even better outdoors in its natural environment.
    impala02,

    Yes the sport wagon looks super as well. You are correct the Greenwich Cadillac dealership is due for a makeover and I would think they will be part of the new Cadillac dealership upgrades. Though about two years ago I did see plans that the dealership submitted to the town of Greenwich. But I think that was before old GM's bankruptcy. Next time I go there, I will ask what the status of their new dealership is.

    JLM

  15. #14
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    39,628
    Thanks
    948
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 670 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by jlmartin99 View Post
    OLDSCHOOLGMFAN,

    That is a good question and I cannot provide a response. Maybe another GMI member can answer.

    JLM
    When the V-series was first launched, Cadillac stated it was both a heritage cue and had a meaning.

    The "V" has appeared part of Cadillac for decades. V also meant "Velocity." All cars were supposed to do 0-60 in > 5 seconds; that was the standard all V's were supposed to mee.

    2010 Mercedes E350
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    1995 Mercedes C280
    1994 Jaguar XJ6





    Uniquely, San Francisco



    SAN FRANCISCO 2020!! ... LAKE TAHOE 2022!!

  16. #15
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 jlmartin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,398
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cadillac V-Series Performance Lab

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    When the V-series was first launched, Cadillac stated it was both a heritage cue and had a meaning.

    The "V" has appeared part of Cadillac for decades. V also meant "Velocity." All cars were supposed to do 0-60 in > 5 seconds; that was the standard all V's were supposed to mee.
    mgescuro,

    I remember the V standing for Velocity from auto reviews and all V series must meet the 0-60 in less than 5 seconds standard. I am less familiar with the use of the V symbol in Cadillac’s previous models. Thanks for the info.

    JLM

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2