Cadillac History

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac History

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Cadillac History

Interesting notes... I never knew they were looking into this in the 60's
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...lti-cylinders/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Cadillac History

in about 1959, Cadillac engineers and stylists came up with the idea of resurrecting the V-12 and V-16 partly to counter the Continental Mark II, partly to power the upcoming Eldorado. The effort apparently led to a few experimental engines, along with one full-size fiberglass mockup, but was never shown to the public until Langworth’s story.

Couple of things here dont make sense, first in 1959 the Mark II had already been discontinued for 2 years, they were making the Mark III, which was essentially a trimed up standard Lincoln, not it's own unique $10,000 coupe as it had been before. Cadillac really didn't start thinking about the Eldorado until 1961 or so. Not to say that Cadillac wasn't thinking about V12-16 engines around that time, just saying that those aren't the reasons.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Plum interesting.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

I always chuckle when I read a post here by someone that complains bitterly that 3 years is just far too long a gestation period for a car. The car that was the 1967 Eldorado was toyed with, planned, thought about, and argued over, designed and redesigned for six or seven years before showing up at a dealer.

And yes, many proposals were put forward for large engines with excess of 8 cylinders in the late fifties/ sixties. If there was an internet then, imagine all the venom from the likes of MGESCURO et al there would be about how stupid/ blind/self-defeating/ ignorant/"fail"/ etc. Cadillac was being for not doing it.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sonjaab's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    If there was an internet then, imagine all the venom from the likes of MGESCURO et al there would be about how stupid/ blind/self-defeating/ ignorant/"fail"/ etc. Cadillac was being for not doing it.

LOL! SO TRUE! Lets not forget the "GM sucks" drivel also.................

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Couple of things here dont make sense, first in 1959 the Mark II had already been discontinued for 2 years, they were making the Mark III, which was essentially a trimed up standard Lincoln, not it's own unique $10,000 coupe as it had been before. Cadillac really didn't start thinking about the Eldorado until 1961 or so. Not to say that Cadillac wasn't thinking about V12-16 engines around that time, just saying that those aren't the reasons.
    Cadillac did get as far a building a V12 in the 60s.

http://www.chromjuwelen.com/de/netwo...tos-found.html

Times have, apparently, changed. When Richard Langworth went looking for photos of the 1960s Cadillac V-12 to prove its existence for the story he wrote on that episode of Cadillac history in Special Interest Autos, he came up empty-handed. But after a few well-placed e-mails, GM’s Heritage Center (which now has one of the engines on display) sent along these three photos of what it called the V-Future V-12.

The mention that it’s at the Heritage Center sent me back to look over the photos I took when I visited the center in 2008 and, indeed, I did take a shot of an unlabeled Cadillac overhead-camshaft V-12 engine similar to, but substantially different from the one in these photos.

As you can see, it is indeed of an overhead-camshaft design, with a distributor running off the snout of each camshaft, though the Heritage Center engine seems to have a dummy distributor in addition to the camshaft-mounted distributors. Despite the accessories bolted to the engine, the one in the photos is obviously still somewhat roughed-in,

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

It wasn't the Mark II; it was the Continental. LOT of buzz there in '61 & up - makes sense Cadillac would consider a 'buzz' retort.

Cadillac did start a new unique Eldorado program in the early '60s... the full-size 1961 clay (XP-727) that was initially badged as 'LaSalle II" ended up being the catalyst for the Riviera (XP-715). There were other unique Caddy designs, but the car that was the clear bodyshell catalyst for the production '67 E was done in "late 1963" (XP-820).

The Cadillac V-12 programs was of course intriquing, but not directly related. Cadillac built (6) 500 CI, aluminum-block, SOHC V-12s with all sorts of different induction (3x2, 2x4 and FI). Testing returned over 400HP & 500 TRQ. Cadillac retains one of the 6 motors today.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe

It's too bad they never built those motors!!! (beyond testing examples) =/ God I'd love to get behind the wheel of a car powered by one of those!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

It would be a thrill no doubt, tho by '70 Cadillac had 400 HP & 550 TRQ in a 500 CI V8.

Thanks

It would be a thrill no doubt, tho by '70 Cadillac had 400 HP & 550 TRQ in a 500 CI V8.
    Thats probably the reason they never saw production, the all new 472 V8 in 1968 was making 375hp and 525lp ft of tq, with one carb, one cam and less complexity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar View Post
    In "Fox News" Gross SAE figures maybe.

That's less than a modern Camaro V6. Well, horsepower-wise.

Still though, I blame it on Scandinavian-Americans and that gottdamn lutefisk...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

In that we are comparing '63 numbers to '70 numbers, and SAE net ratings didn't come out until '71, the comparison is valid.

>>"That's less than a modern Camaro V6"<<
    Strip all the electronics & tech off a current Camaro V6 and replace it with a 2bbl carb and it'd be right back down around 140 net HP. Apples to rutabagas.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

The coupe with the sharp beak does remind me a lot of the Sixteen that came out in 2003. Something about the profile of it and the body work. I wonder if there was some intention to make them similar, or it just happened. I still hold out hope Cadillac will be able to put out some real life Sixteens and Ciens when things get rolling again.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

It was killed by CAFE (in 1962)
    Last edited by 2002 Caddy; 11-16-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

...first in 1959 the Mark II had already been discontinued for 2 years, they were making the Mark III, which was essentially a trimed up standard Lincoln
    While balthazar is probably right and they were referring to the 1961 Continental (which would fall into your Eldorado time frame better), the 1959 Lincoln Continental model was the MarK IV (Mark III was 1958 and Mark V was 1960).

Also, you can find a similar article in one of my favorite books, "Cars that Never Were" (edited by Richard Langworth).

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information