Cadillac Customer Feels "Bad Vibrations" from GM

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Customer Feels "Bad Vibrations" from GM

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Cadillac Customer Feels "Bad Vibrations" from GM

Cadillac customer feels bad vibration from GM
    By Rick Badie
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Saturday, March 07, 2009

Bud Layson bought his first Cadillac 15 years ago.

“My wife wanted one,” says Layson, a retired salesman who still works every other week selling steel pipe fittings across the Southeast.
    In May, Layson bought a new 2008 DTS. He says it just may be his last General Motors vehicle. The DTS vibrates during acceleration, going up hills, when it’s hitting 60 miles per hour or so.

It used to make a pitched, whiny noise, too. A new gear was supposed to stop both problems.

“But it did nothing for the vibration,” said Layson of Duluth. “It feels like it’s coming up through the acceleration pedal, but you can feel the vibration all over. It’s not a safety problem. It’s an aggravating problem.”

After he had the Caddy serviced at a local Cadillac dealership, he filled out a survey he received in the mail regarding the experience. In the comment section, he explained the car’s vibration and the repair(s) that hadn’t fixed the problem.

Then Layson, 73, made a promise: “I told them that I’d never buy another GM product.”

Days later, Layson got a voice message with an 800-number from General Motors. Layson called.

A customer service rep pulled up the service record on his car. Then he put Layson on hold and contacted the area dealership shop that had worked on it.

“When he finally came back to the phone, he said [the company] had no resolution for the problem at this time,” Layson told me. “But he said that, if and when we do, that I’d be the first in line to get my car fixed. I may be dead by then. I tried to control my temper, but I was upset.”

Online, there were at least two automotive forums in which car owners sought help with the same problem. I didn’t find any reports about recalls of the Cadillac DTS due to vibration, so I called GM headquarters and was hooked up with company spokesman David Caldwell. I told him about Layson’s car.

“This is not a repetitive problem,” he said, noting that there had been no official recall of the Cadillac DTS for vibration issues. And even if a handful of owners have raised the issue online, he said, they pale in comparison to the hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers who apparently enjoy the car.

As for Layson’s vehicle, Caldwell suggested that he schedule to have a regional GMC engineer have a look-see. Layson can call the dealership and make arrangements, he said, or he can call 800-333-4CAD.

“We’ll have someone at his front door,” Caldwell said.

Layson didn’t know he had the option. He might heed the advice, but right now he’s pretty put off with Cadillac. After all, he owns a nearly $50,000 car that doesn’t run right.

SOURCE
    Last edited by Ming; 03-07-2009 at 11:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Malibu LT2 V6

Re: Cadillac Customer Feels "Bad Vibrations" from GM

Not the kind of stories GM needs.

It's amazing how the press seem to act like vultures on GM these days. They will report car sales and say GM was down 50% and not mentioning any of the other makers like Honda who were 40%+.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC and Buick

Oh lordy did they not check the tires or what? 9 out 10 vibrations in pedals/steering caused by poorly inflated-balanced-aligned tires.

And why is this even newsworthy? How many other customers out there are having problems with their cars... can you say tundra camshaft/tranny/tailgate/frame cracking fiasco? Camry trannies blowing? Geez there's cars from every manufacturer that breaks down.
    Last edited by Bvonscott; 03-07-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

As if nobody's ever had a lexus that had a vibration problem...

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mike's 01ws6's Avatar
    Thanks

This happens with every manufacturer, every so often you are going to get a lemon. Im suprised that Cadillac customer assistance did not suggest trying another dealer to see if there was another dealer close enough to look into the problem. Sometimes a techinician other service departments have seen more of the same problem and may have a fix for it. The service department also has access to the GM techline to try get what is GM's version of technical support on problems that cannot be tracked down, this is where a lot of "fixes" come from. If all else fails he may have got a lemon, it happens with all manufacturers and there is a process to have GM buy the car back. Going to the news after 1 visit to the dealership will not solve his problem. This problem is unacceptable in any car and should be addressed, but there is a way to get things done.

Thanks

Where's newspaper feature about the pissed off customers from Camry transmission problems?
    There is no replacement for displacement - except for the turbo in my basement
    2005 GTO

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by mrfunji View Post
    Where's newspaper feature about the pissed off customers from Camry transmission problems?
    Or the millions of pissed off owners with oil sludge problems?

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sadly this is a VERY common problem on FWD NorthStar Caddy's/Buick's and the fact that GM or the dealer can't fix it is VERY disheartening. The first thing to check is the front motor mount. The motor mounts are oil filled rubber tubes and are as strong as a stick of butter. Mount failures is a VERY common problem... The Aftermarket now makes "solid" versions of the mount that solves the problem. Expect to pay $300-500 to replace the mount with an OEM unit and then expect to pay this again in 2 or 3 years and EVERY 2 or 3 years that you own the car (unless you drive it like you are transporting plutonium)... Aftermarket mounts cost about $150 and will last the life of the car.

If the mount is fine... The next thing to check are the tires. The spring rates on the FWD caddy's need PERFECTLY balanced tires... Static/spin balancing is NOT enough... the tires need to be ROAD FORCE Balanced (RFB) and they need to be RRB'ed to numbers of less then 10 pounds of force per corner (less then 5 pounds is even better)... and here is the rub, most tire manufactures will accept RF tolerances of 15-20 pounds.

Sadly many dealers have never heard about RFB and many that have have no idea how to use the machine properly or what the numbers mean.

Oh and it gets worse... read your Cadillac bumper to bumper warranty...Unless it has changed in the last 5 years. It DOESN'T cover the tires! they have there own "road hazzard" coverage... So you have this problem and neither the dealer nor GM will help and the tire companies POV is that the tire is not damaged and is within spec...

So you are forced will several options ALL BAD... you can:
    1) Put up with the vibration for 50,000 miles or so until the tires wear out and then buy a quality set of tires.
    2) Throw out the OE tires early and buy the new set early
    3) Spend 1/2 of your life at the dealer and on the phone with GM hoping that they will help you...

I did #3 for a while, gave up, and then did #1

Great way to retain customers...

Did I mention that GM KNOWS about this problem... there are NUMEROUS TSB's about this very problem... And it has plagued this (and the STS) platform back to 1998... 11 freaking YEARS!

Oh and the gear whine is also VERY COMMON back to 1992! Some one shoot me! Our quality now is Much better then it was in the 90's just don't buy a car that was designed then.
    Last edited by 2002 Caddy; 03-07-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Pure "drive by" journalism. And I use the term "journalism" loosely.

No, the situation wasn't handled properly. One of the biggest problems?(after Caddy not fixing the known problem for years) is that it's difficult to get the technician paid under warranty to "hunt" for a problem like this. You can't really disassemble things looking for a problem, not find it and get paid for it. The dealer doesn't want to eat the labor, and he shouldn't have to. Even a well qualified tech runs the other way because he knows he's gonna spend five hours and maybe get paid for one.

My biggest problem with any manufacturer is this-Don't ship a vehicle to a dealer for sale to the public with ANY known defect-intermittent steering shafts, frames that are going to rust, engines that are going to gunk up, exhaust vibrations, camshafts that are going to fail. NOTHING. A manufacturer's livelihood depends on repeat business and so does the dealer's and EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM IS KILLING REPEAT BUSINESS!

Thanks

Way to go, Einsteins. Let's just ignore this article as though it were a mere annoyance, instead of what it is: an indictment of GM's pisspoor excuse for customer service.

Some of you should seek jobs in Cadillac's customer service department, where your ability to completely scoff a customer's complaint will fit in perfectly with GM's manifesto.

Though I'm sure GM isn't the only company in that camp.

Thanks

Why even repost this here? I agree with everyone else, there are customers like this in every car brand. It's just beating the drum in the band of folks who want to kill GM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1 View Post
    Why even repost this here? I agree with everyone else, there are customers like this in every car brand. It's just beating the drum in the band of folks who want to kill GM.
    WTF! This was the customers fault? I had EXACTLY these problems with my 2002 Seville and I experienced the same dealership experience... Eventually, ON MY OWN, I figured out about RFB and solved the problem at my OWN expense...
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like my recent quest to get my truck fixed.

When it comes to customer service, GM is lost at sea. It wouldn't be so bad if there were nagging issues with their products if they dealers knew how to fix them and treated their customers properly. Thank God I found a decent GMC dealership. Even though they don't know how to repair my truck, at least they are nice to work with.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Check out the last part of the article - I should have added it:

On the news, meanwhile, all he hears about is GM’s need for a bailout.

“It’s disheartening,” Layson said. “If they can’t take care of the customers they got, why the heck do they want to keep making cars? Not standing behind the product —- it says more to me about integrity than anything else. I guess this car might be something I have to live with. As mama used to say, ‘Get over it.’ ”

On a recent business trip, Layson rented a DTS. The vehicle had the same vibration as his personal car.

“Only worse,” he said.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Way to go, Einsteins. Let's just ignore this article as though it were a mere annoyance, instead of what it is: an indictment of GM's pisspoor excuse for customer service.

Some of you should seek jobs in Cadillac's customer service department, where your ability to completely scoff a customer's complaint will fit in perfectly with GM's manifesto.

Though I'm sure GM isn't the only company in that camp.
    Its not just GM, most manufacturers of products have customer service departments that are severly lacking. They are under-funded, under-manned, and poorly trained. Most of them read from a script, or have a limited database of information. Call centers are even worse because they have such a high turnover rate, the newbies can't grasp the many different protocols.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information