05 Cadillac CTS ???

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 05 Cadillac CTS ???

Walking
    Thanks

05 Cadillac CTS ???

I'm considering buying a 05 Cadillac CTS w/64,000 miles. It has the 3.6L An seems to be in excellent condition. Dealer is asking $12,400. I've read that these cars consume a lot of oil and read that there seems to be issues with timing belt/chain. Any truth to this? The car is really sweet, just a little nervous buying something this old. Are these cars reliable? Can someone please advise before its gone? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford C-MAX SEL, ruby red

Re: 05 Cadillac CTS ???

My '05 CTS was very reliable for the almost 8 years I owned it. I only traded it in because gas costs too much to drive long distances to mountain bike trails, mounting a bike rack on the trunk and strapping on a bike is inconvenient, and I'm tired of RWD in the snow. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires are pretty decent in the winter though.

It did burn a fair amount of oil in the last 2-3 years. Mine had 75K miles on it. There is a possible fix described here.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-mod-fix.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...w-t-3-6-a.html

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

"Possible fix"? $12,400 gamble?

I'd pass.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

It's well worth the minor inconvenience and cost of putting a quart of oil in every 4-5 weeks. The car is fantastic to drive, as long as you get one with the sport suspension. The base model's steering and suspension are unimpressive and not worth having IMO. But $12K seems high even if it's loaded.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

I have one it is a lot of fun to drive and the engine sounds amazing when pushed. But it does seem to burn quite a bit of oil, I'm at 190Km with mine.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skepticman View Post
    It's well worth the minor inconvenience and cost of putting a quart of oil in every 4-5 weeks. The car is fantastic to drive, as long as you get one with the sport suspension. The base model's steering and suspension are unimpressive and not worth having IMO. But $12K seems high even if it's loaded.
    I live in Florida. What do you think would be a reasonable price, out the door?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

I though they were in the $10K range now, but you should check the NADA and KBB pricing for your location and the options that are on the car.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skepticman View Post
    I though they were in the $10K range now, but you should check the NADA and KBB pricing for your location and the options that are on the car.
    According to kbb, they're showing $14,392 retail for this car

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo64 View Post
    I'm considering buying a 05 Cadillac CTS w/64,000 miles. It has the 3.6L An seems to be in excellent condition. Dealer is asking $12,400. I've read that these cars consume a lot of oil and read that there seems to be issues with timing belt/chain. Any truth to this? The car is really sweet, just a little nervous buying something this old. Are these cars reliable? Can someone please advise before its gone? Thanks in advance.

You might want to ask your question on the Cadillac Owner's forum. They have many experts on the CTS.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum.php
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

Thanks

i had to replace my timing chain on my dime. I fought a hard battle, but they claimed the 'oil life' monitor faulty on later models was not valid on mine. So i changed the oil based on what the computer said, and my timing chain stretched. Still love my car though.
    www.TESTDRIVEJUNKIE.com

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    http://www.facebook.com/testdrivejunkie
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information