Purchasing 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP CompG, Some questions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP CompG, Some questions

Walking
    Thanks

Purchasing 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP CompG, Some questions

I have pretty much bought this car, just getting the final "stuff" together and preparing for a delivery date.

My question is, what kind of things should I check, look out for in it. Currently reads almost 35,000 miles on the clock, appears to be well cared for, and as I mentioned in the title, has the Competition Group Package. Sunroof is nice and I can't argue with the color being black.

The dealership has offered me a 6year/100k warranty for about 2 thousand dollars and a 100 dollar deductible per claim from "Warranty American, LLC". I have to ask why this certified car isn't listed as having a certified warranty when I stop in there again (just learned about the new and longer 100K/5year from date of service certified warranty).

My question is what kind of "major" repairs could I expect in 6years? Their main selling point is "the supercharger could need replacing" which I haven't really heard of failing superchargers on stock engines. They say thats a 3000 dollar job. I have heard of intakes or gaskets or something like that failing on 3800's.

Suspension components were mainly what I thought would eat into my wallet. All in all from my understanding parts for a Grand Prix are cheaper than other cars out there, especially for do it yourselfers like myself

Previous to this I had been a "Cadillac guru" and know the northstar and my fathers 98 deville pretty well. I'd like to shift over to a "Pontiac Guru" .

So for those of you who like a summary:
    04 Pontiac Grand Prix-what to look out for?
    3800 Series III Supercharged-what to look out for?
    Cost of the above things to look out for more than an aftermarket 2000 dollar warranty, 6 year/100k (more I say it the more I think I don't need that warranty).
    Last edited by EGreen; 04-11-2007 at 10:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Re: Purchasing 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP CompG, Some questions

I've never heard of the supercharger needing replaced. (I have 140,000 miles on my GTP). Although, if the supercharger fluid was never replaced.... But then again, the service manual says to check it every 36,000 miles, so if it only has 35,000 miles that shouldn't be an issue.

The main issues with this engine are:

1. Leaking oil pan gasket. Minor problem, as it just seaps oil onto the pan.
    2. Leaking valve cover gasket. Minor problem. Just seaps oil onto the exhaust manifold resulting in a little smoke.
    3. Lower intake manifold can start leaking. Mine didn't start leaking until well past 100,000 miles. I bought a new LIM gasket for $55 from the dealer, I'm just too lazy to fix it.
    4. The Pressure Regulator in the Tranny commonly goes out. It's an $80 part, but dealers like to "overhaul" the tranny when replacing it. Mine just went out around 130,000 miles. Though from what I hear, this is a common problem on all 4T65E trannies.
    5. One of my fuel injectors went out around 120,000 miles
    6. My EGR went out around 130,000 miles.

Other than the pesky power window motors, the car has been pretty trouble free.
    Last edited by a_v_s; 04-11-2007 at 10:16 PM.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I have a '05 GTP Comp G. I've got about 42K on the odometer right now and I haven't had one bit of problem with it. The only time it's been in for service is for regular oil changes. Not one bit of problem with it.

I also have a '98 GTP with 136K that's been in a few times for service. I think the biggest problem is the front hubs on these cars since that's what has been replaced on it.

As far as the super charger ... keep check on the supercharger oil. Some say to change the supercharger oil every 35K miles, others only do it occasionally.

A lot of people say the transmissions go out in these cars, but so far, I haven't had any problems. Of course, I don't go out and do a lot of wheel spins and put the transmission in a lot of stress, either. YMMV

I think you'll like the Comp G. It sure has been a great car for me.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G8/2009/White

Quote Originally Posted by EGreen

The dealership has offered me a 6year/100k warranty for about 2 thousand dollars and a 100 dollar deductible per claim from "Warranty American, LLC". I have to ask why this certified car isn't listed as having a certified warranty when I stop in there again (just learned about the new and longer 100K/5year from date of service certified warranty).
    I would avoid that extended warranty like the plague. I have personally never purchased such a thing. However, I have seen other customers stunned when they learned what was not covered. That is pretty much everything that is likely to break.

My question is what kind of "major" repairs could I expect in 6years? Their main selling point is "the supercharger could need replacing" which I haven't really heard of failing superchargers on stock engines. They say thats a 3000 dollar job. I have heard of intakes or gaskets or something like that failing on 3800's.

I have about 65k miles on mine. My power steering unit had to be replaced. I also had the Driver Information Center replaced. Word to the Wise: The DIC maintains the odometer mileage in volatile memory and nowhere else. Service schedule mileage appears to be stored elsewhere, but not total mileage.

Bottomline: I love my Comp-G. I hope that you love yours as much. Congratulations.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

I am wondering what a 2005 Grand Prix GTP w/Comp G package would go for retail? I want one in black/grey!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I also own a 2004 Grand Prix GT2. There are/were A BUNCH of TSB's for this year car - numerous quality problems.

Check www.alldata.com for a list of TSB's for the 2004 Grand Prix. You won't believe how many there are.

Here is a link for a list of TSB's for the 2004 Grand Prix with the SC engine: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/48/044803jg.html

I would NEVER buy an aftermarket extended warranty. I always buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer. I believe GM dealers prefer customers with the GMPP and you usually have less problems with the manufacturer's extended warranty.

Dealers make a lot of extra money selling extended warranties from aftermarket companys (which may not be in business when you need the warranty work).

If the car is a GM certified used car, it should have the extended powertrain warranty included with the price.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 1999 White C5 Coupe; 04-12-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks for the information guys. I'll look into their rates for the GMPP. Also they showed me the service history for the vehicle, other than oil changes, the only thing done to it was a repair on a brake line or something like that.

Walking
    Thanks

Pictures from my visit to the dealer today, should be taking delivary very soon

Click to make bigger:

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the information guys. I'll look into their rates for the GMPP. Also they showed me the service history for the vehicle, other than oil changes, the only thing done to it was a repair on a brake line or something like that.
    Have you done a CarFax? I will never trust any dealer on maintenance history's.
    Worth the money...
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm...Something I noticed about your Grand Prix Comp G doesn't have that my ex gf's does is a rectangle "Comp G" badge on the side either on the fender behind the wheel or on the door near the seam. It may be that the 2005 model year models as my ex gf's GP GTP Comp G has it unlike yours since yours is a 2004 model, may be the difference.
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

Walking
    Thanks

dealers offered me giving me a carfax, next time I'm in I'll have a look at it. They gave me the GM build sheet and the GM service information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre
    I am wondering what a 2005 Grand Prix GTP w/Comp G package would go for retail? I want one in black/grey!
    I got 2005 GTP fully loaded (not Comp G) with 9,000 miles on it in Dec. for a little under $17,000
    at Carmax and had it shipped from Nashville, TN to Columbia, SC for $100. Should check them out.
    Last edited by BMARTIN; 04-17-2007 at 10:35 AM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Suspension components were mainly what I thought would eat into my wallet. All in all from my understanding parts for a Grand Prix are cheaper than other cars out there, especially for do it yourselfers like myself
    Used my extended warranty on my 2000 Bonneville SSEi (Series II spch'd) to replace the transmission mounts once. The supercharged engine really slams into that transmission with all of that torque (I guess if you drive it like a Honda you wouldn't have that problem, but how fun would that be?). You could hear it swaying fore and aft.

No sign in 7 years that my supercharger will need any fixing. And your Series III supercharger was improved in that model year, giving you the extra 20 horsepower.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

intake gaskets may be an issue down the road. the supercharged engines dont normally have the same issues as the older ones do. and the series 3 engine they use a aluminum manifold in place of the plastic one on a series 2.
    so the intake problem should be fixed.

the main issues with the 2 grand prix's my family has had. are
    wheel bearings
    and brake pulsation.

had an 04 GTP comp G as well. lot of power, it will spin the tires at 30 mph.

had 05 grand prix GT base model, had a few problems, nothing major. steering shaft and wheel bearings.

the 3800 is a good engine. supercharger just makes it that much nicer
    tap shift is nice. you cant over rev the engine. it will shift automatically for you if you forget to shift.

stabilitrak is very nice. ive tried to get that car side ways. you cant. it is not possible. its the closest thing to 4 wheel steering as you will get.
    you can take corners at pretty much any speed you want. without exagerating. just dont get too stupid.

works in unison with the ABS system.

the 100,000 mile warranty should be applicable to this vehicle without any extra fees. unless it was purchased in 03 as a 04 model.

i dont know how mechanical you are. myself, i dont worry about extended warranties because i can get the parts cheap and fix anything on a car myself. so like an intake gasket normally runs you 700-800 if you have it done. i can do it myself for about 100-150. a wheel bearing is a easy thing to do. parts are expensive they run around 150-300+.

items to check - brakes, how much lining? tire tread, whats the dept level?
    has it ever been in a wreck? check the service history of it as well. regular maintenance. check warranty repairs done to it. and that many miles, first thing i would do is replace the air filter if it hasnt been done already and replace the fuel filter. and probably have an alignment.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

dont let people scare you out of it, its a good car. ive owned several grand prixs and monte carlos, they are good vehicles.

i dont know why people throw bulletins out there. its kind of pointless.

i can find hundreds of bulletins on brand new cars. doesnt mean anything.

all a bulletin does is tell you what might be a possible issue. see people on a constant basis that come in with bulletins and they want it done. why there is nothing wrong with the car? no reason.

buy the car, you wont be disapointed.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information