2008 Pontiac Wave

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Pontiac Wave

Walking
    Thanks

2008 Pontiac Wave

Hey I have a 2008 Wave hatchback and wanted to know if anybody else is having engine probs with theres, at first when new you couldn`t hear the engine it was so quiet, by the time the first oil change came around it just didn`t sound the same, something just sounded off. I asked them to check it out and the computer scan showed nothing, okay no biggy, I was using syntheic oil at this point. Okay now it really doesn`t sound right, I am sure it is a 1.6 L gas engine, sure does sound more like a diesel to me, wait a minute the car is rated for 46 miles to the gallon, I am getting 56, oil change 3 now it reallly really sounds like a diesel and am getting 36 miles to the gallon Now is it just me or would you say that there is a problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2008 Pontiac Wave

What weight oil are you using?

Walking
    Thanks

5W30, the dealership does all oil changes as car is under warranty. We bought it new less than a year ago. They do the maintenance so that there is no lashback if any problems arise, ironic aint it.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Do a compression test and check your fuel pressure. What did the GM dealership tell you about the car?

94 STEi - In different stages of done
    99 SLO - Tune, L26 UIM, ported LIM, N*throttle body, 85mm MAF, welded solid front trans mount, no EGR, no evap, and an intake

Walking
    Thanks

Hi, they told me that nothing showed after putting it on the computer. Everything checked out okay. They couldn`t find anything wrong. Just listening to it tells you sompin ain`t right.

Walking
    Thanks

for reference, the third oil change for whatever reason they decided to plain ordinary engine oil in instead of using synthetic, they never got back to me when I called and asked about it.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I don't know if they could tell compression from simply plugging in your car to a computer. Probably they could look at volumetric efficiency or something, but not too much. You're going to need a mechanical test. See if you can also get a mechanical gauge to tell you the fuel pressure.

94 STEi - In different stages of done
    99 SLO - Tune, L26 UIM, ported LIM, N*throttle body, 85mm MAF, welded solid front trans mount, no EGR, no evap, and an intake

Walking
    Thanks

I posted the original message because I wanted to know if anybody else was having a similar prob with there gm vehicle.

Walking
    Thanks

Update on my car!
    It goes back to the dealership April 2oth and they are giving me aloaner while they go over the engine again, Service guy went for road test with me this morning and found a service bulletin on another make of vehicle very similar to what is going on with my engine. It has developed a tick since they redid my botched oilchange for free!! Also rotated the tires free. So after I get the car back will let you know if it is a new car again or one that sounds like it is ten or more years old. In the meantime I only drive if I absolutely have to, otherwise it sits in the driveway looking pretty

Walking
    Thanks

Question Re: 2008 Pontiac Wave

Do you have an update. I own 2009 (hatchback) but I haven't had any problems and on my 3rd oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryAnn View Post
    Update on my car!
    It goes back to the dealership April 2oth and they are giving me aloaner while they go over the engine again, Service guy went for road test with me this morning and found a service bulletin on another make of vehicle very similar to what is going on with my engine. It has developed a tick since they redid my botched oilchange for free!! Also rotated the tires free. So after I get the car back will let you know if it is a new car again or one that sounds like it is ten or more years old. In the meantime I only drive if I absolutely have to, otherwise it sits in the driveway looking pretty

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimwho View Post
    Do you have an update. I own 2009 (hatchback) but I haven't had any problems and on my 3rd oil change.
    I believe the 2009 has a different engine from the 2008.

2009s have the Ecotec sourced from Europe, the 2008 and older use the "D-tec" from Daewoo.

Walking
    Thanks

Hey, I guess it takes a woman to figure things out as the men at the dealership couldn`t!
    I recently had to go on a trip, a last momment thing, anyway as I was traveling out of Province I didn`t use my usual gas stations! Funny thing is all of a sudden the car started driving normal no hicupps no lagging or pigging, she shifted smoothly. On my way back I started using the same gas again as I was in home territory, guess what the car started actingup again, two and two makes that the company that I was buying my gas from was not good for the car. It is still idling a little rough but otherwise like normal, when it was new just over a year old now. I use synthetic 5w30 Monil 1 oil in it as it is better for the smaller engines. Yes it is the 1.9L Daewoo engine. She is a good little car I travelled roughly 1600 km on $112. worth of gas one way! Great mileage on the highway not so great in town. She handled great coming back she was fully loaded I mean like down on the rear tires and she used the same amount of gas!! If your car had the Koho tires that came with it don`t expect to get more than 25,000 km out of them I had to have mine replaced at 21,000 km, they were right down to the wear bars, slipping and sliding on wet pavement.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TerryAnn View Post
    Hey, I guess it takes a woman to figure things out as the men at the dealership couldn`t!
    I recently had to go on a trip, a last momment thing, anyway as I was traveling out of Province I didn`t use my usual gas stations! Funny thing is all of a sudden the car started driving normal no hicupps no lagging or pigging, she shifted smoothly. On my way back I started using the same gas again as I was in home territory, guess what the car started actingup again, two and two makes that the company that I was buying my gas from was not good for the car. It is still idling a little rough but otherwise like normal, when it was new just over a year old now. I use synthetic 5w30 Monil 1 oil in it as it is better for the smaller engines. Yes it is the 1.9L Daewoo engine. She is a good little car I travelled roughly 1600 km on $112. worth of gas one way! Great mileage on the highway not so great in town. She handled great coming back she was fully loaded I mean like down on the rear tires and she used the same amount of gas!! If your car had the Koho tires that came with it don`t expect to get more than 25,000 km out of them I had to have mine replaced at 21,000 km, they were right down to the wear bars, slipping and sliding on wet pavement.
    Where were you getting gas? You should let them know and never go back. This is why I stick to the big chains and newer stores. Same happened to me, except it was just one tank from a gas station my friend worked at. They ran out of regular, so had to sell premium at regular price, so I filled up and my poor K-car never ran worse than that tank of crappy gas. I never went back.
    Last edited by Uzzy; 07-15-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Walking
    Thanks

Hi it was Irving, now known as Circle K, they are right across the maritimes. Doesn`t matter what grade I use, it just varies the amount of sluggish and poor performance of my car.

Walking
    Thanks

Hi I have a pontiac wave 2009

that has been losing power not the noise that you complain of though

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information