Window Tinting

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Tinting

Thanks

Window Tinting

I have been thinking hard about getting the windows on my car tinted, but I have no experience on getting this done or others having it done. I have looked up some things online, but I wanted to just get more input. I was thinking about going with 50% for the front side and something more around 30% for the back sides and rear window. I was just wondering what are others thoughts on this or if anyone has pics of their cars with tints and what % tints they have so I can get a better idea.

Also does anyone know of a good place in the Northern more Metro Detroit area (Troy, Royal Oak, Sterling Heights, Warren or around there) that does a good job and stands by their work. Also what are some good films or things I should talk to them about to make sure that they wont be bubble or change color down the road.

Any advice or comments I will appreciate, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Window Tinting

I had 5% on a car years ago, looked really nice. The reason tints bubble and fade is due to inferior product. A good 3M film should last you until you get rid of the car.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

First off, tinting at 50% would be hardly noticable. Not worth the time or money IMO.

Tinting is one of the best things you can do for a car. Not only for looks but it keeps your interior temps way down ( if you leave your car in a parking lot all day ) and it helps keep the interior from fading / deteriorating. Not to mention I really like the privacy they offer.

Factory tints, like my tahoes rear windows, are at about 20%. So I tinted the front windows to match at 20%. Now, this may not be technically legal in all states but I have never had a problem. It still allows a fair amount of light to come through and I have had no problems at night.

So I would recommend getting the rear windows done at 20% or so and maybe the front windows at 30%. That way you stay legal but it will still look good.

Any tinting shop should use good tint. I have tinted many a high schoolers cars with wal-mart tint and still havent had any problems. If it is intalled right, even the cheap stuff works good. Fading isn't really an issue these days with modern tints.
    Current Whips:
    1979 Chevy K10 Stepside (350 4-spd, waiting to be restored)
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (Z71, 80,000 mi, leather,5.3 )
    2007 Kawasaki KLX 250 (street legal dual sport, 70 mpg, woo hoo!)
    2011 Dodge Charger (3.6 V6)

Thanks

GM factory tint is around 20% (at least thats what I have been told) so I would at least do that much on the back if you aren't going to match the front with the back. You'll need to check your local laws for front tint percentage, although 50% should be well above the legal limit. Personally, I would go either at or a little above the legal limit. The darker the tint the better it looks IMO.

Here is a pic of my truck with the tint:

More at link or in signature:
    Updated pics of my 04 Z71 Silverado (56k warning)

I went with 20% on the front two windows and an addition 20% over the GM factory tint in the rear. The windows have been tinted for over 3 years now and still look as good as the first day they were tinted.
    My Current Ride: 2004 Z71 Silverado
    Family: Father 2009 Enclave CXL, Mother 2007 Solstice & Bro 2004 Z71 Silverado

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am going to tint my Volvo C30 70% all around (except windshield) this weekend.

70% isn't very dark at all, but California only allows 70% for the driver side and front passenger side.

I don't like the mismatched color look, so I will just settle for 70% all around instead of some 70% here and some 35% there.
    Last edited by genjy; 05-14-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the pic/info drew630, I was hoping for something like that so I can get an idea of a % tint on an actual vehicle. Not sure if I want to go quite that black, but I was looking at your other pics and suprised how easy it still was to see out the windows. (any more of these from others I would really appreciate for comparison)

Michigan only allows the top 4" of the front/front sides so anything I do there will be pushing the law so I would have to figure out how far I would want to go. Back side/rear anything goes.

Genjy I know what you mean about the varying tints, but Michigan laws make it hard.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

What state do you live in? Wisconsin is 35% rear 50 front legal.. I did 35% all the way around... Looks awesome...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 rmodys's Avatar
    Thanks

(you can see through the back window what it'd look like here)

At night:

That's about 20%.
    Last edited by rmodys; 05-14-2008 at 04:29 PM.

2001 BMW 325i

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 EldoFan's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a smaller pic, but you can see the rear windows/quarter windows on my Mark have 20% on em.......the driver/passenger side were done 20% like that as well, but on those windows it's illegal here, so I had to take it off.

Given the kind of car I have, I think leaving the rear windows tinted gives it more of a 'custom' look.....plus adds to the privacy a bit in the back
    When you turn your car on....does it return the favor?

Past Rides:
    '90 Lincoln Mark VII
    '93 Ford Taurus GL

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

First off thank you for not calling it tintS. Definately look into the legalities of where you live or you could get hassled by the police. In my state you can only go 35% on the front side windows but you can go as dark as you want on the rear sides and back window. I did 20% on the rear window and small rear side windows (coupe). That seems to be a good compromise between privacy, keeping the interior cool and still being able to see out the windows at night.

If I wasn't going to go at least 35% all the way around I probably wouldn't even do it because any less than that and it's hardly noticeable. I probably wouldn't go any darker than 20%, especially in the rear because it can make it harder to back out of a parking space at night.
    Last edited by big swede; 05-14-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks

A minimal tint on the front windows usually won't be noticed if you have a darker tint in the back.
    State tint laws:
    http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
    Last edited by FAB454; 05-14-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    The SS badge never was about looks, it's about performance and always should be.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

i just had my G5 tinted today i did 20% in the back and 35% on the front ill take pics of it this weekend

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 RoGuE's Avatar
    Thanks

What is the cost to tint a car?

Also what is the difference between ceramic tint and the alternative? (I don't know what the alternative is, I just on another board someone mentioned ceramic)
    -Jonathan
    2007 Chevrolet Malibu LS w/ 2.2L Ecotec

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help/pics. I think I might try to go with 20% in the back, but still maybe only 50% for front. Like I said Mi really doesnt allow anything in the front so whatever I do to the front will be pushing the law. At least that will help keep it cooler than nothing.

Anyone know of a good place in Metro Detroit to get this done? (Preferably just North of Detroit around Troy/Sterling Heights). Might try to get this done next friday when I have the day off for Memorial day weekend.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I had mine done at the dealer when i bought the car, they did 30% in front windows and 15% everywhere else. My wife has the same setup on her '05 Vibe and I've had the cars for 2 and 4 years w/ no problems. You aren't going to get pulled over unless you have limo tint (5%). I wouldn't pay anything more than $200 for the whole car. That's my $.02.
    Last edited by N8s07ss; 05-15-2008 at 03:11 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information