GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why I Hate GM... Why Cadillac is Lost... The Solution Instead of Complaints

33K views 191 replies 34 participants last post by  CmicasatheGreat 
#1 · (Edited)
U kno what just occurred to me ??? That according to people like mgescuro.. Cadillac can only be considered top tier Luxo if it offers these things U posted in their BASE CAR... even if they charged the Platinum price... Meaning there would be NO PLATINUM editions... the Platinum edition would be the ONLY car.. with all of those options... with that particular price..

The STS culd have pulled that off IMO... if it were larger, had a more powerful engine, a better laid out interior (like the CTS), and a more "complicated and frustrating" user interface like IDRIVE.. OH.. and add some nice Fender Flares and curves... ala CTS as well

And I agree with that point of view... that Cadillac should not offer anything BARGAIN... Price them as high as they can but make sure they have amenities that can compete well with the competition...

==============The Meat and Potatoes of yet again... Another Cmicasa the Great XVX Rant===============

On that note... Most people don't realize and are too stupid to kno that U can get the complete driving experience of a BMW in a Pontiac... Most people will not wish to admit such a thing.. but U can. U can get almost all the options of a Benz.. in a Honda or Chevy now... The market is resting on false pretenses of the past...

But who cares.. throw moronic superficial realizations to the wind. In the end scenario it's all about the badge.

So How do U.. as an America Luxo company with a grand history, scores of potential, and a parent company that is a slave to it's own past successes and failures... proceed?

The Line-Up as it is makes for a Scary thought... We are currently being left... after the death of the XLR and the "lame duckness" of the STS and DTS.. with just the CTS, CTS wagon, SRX, and Escalade...

Has Cadillac become a 3 car company??? With GM completely betting this Mega-Icon's luck on essentially one mainstream luxo sedan and it's derivative wagon???

GM has always bewildered me. They must automatically have a success... right out the gate.. or that product is dead.. DEAD.. DEAD. In fact some times the product is a success.. and they still kill it due to some less than stellar perception that they themselves were responsible for (think Cobalt being renamed Cruze)

Oh Oh... so back to what I was thinking... CADILLAC... A viable line-up... in the absence of the fluff.

Why not take the XLR's demise as an opportunity? I love that car.. it beautiful.. unique, performs as well or better than it competition.. but it would be better suited to a company like VW/Audi... than one like GM/Cadillac. VW/Audi tends to be patient with it's offerings.. watching them grow... improving upon the weaknesses and following thru... GM missed a huge opportunity with the XLR... and the STS for that matter... When people complain.. LISTEN and IMPROVE... especially in this class, as price wasn't the primary concern, so budget is not really the issue.

The OPPORTUNITY (XLR meets CTC):

How about, since the CTC is supposedly on hold, taking the CTC upmarket.. and actually renaming IT the XLR? Or rather XLC and XLR? They could use the same basic formula that BMW does with the 6series and 5series... Basically a 2+2 Sport Coupe with optional Convertible.. Starting price of $75K.... V8 only.. sorry.. but power is necessary in this class.... and at least 385HP would fit the bill. I like a 4.4L S/C NorthStar detuned for the regular car... and a LSA with 580 HP for the "V".

U see this would address a serious issue with being able to market the XLR against cars like the XK and 911 Carrerra.. not to mention the 650i... having the room in the back for passengers... which very often is necessary in that demographic as older couples tend to ride together

Opportunity II (Epsilon meets BLS.. AGAIN:yup:)

I'm sorry.. I kno a lot of people will scold me for this... Calling it blasphemy and all.. But bottom line is that if what stands between Cadillac having a 3series fighter is the decision to not build Alpha and improving EpsilonII even more so.. exclusively for a smaller Cadillac.. Then I'm gonna have get scolded. Most of U are bitching about an UNKNOWN platform being better than a known stellar one... just because of where the power hits the wheels.

This would be even smaller than the Insignia.. smaller than the current 9-3... literally the minuscule difference between the 3series and the 9-3 in fact... (Think Infiniti G)... AWD all the time... STANDARD.. and engines ranging from 260HP-420HP... all V6 and Turbos

Opportunity III (The BIG ONE.. The RAPE of Pontiac.. or is it Holden)

ZETA... ZETA Premium... On top of it is a car with the current STS's front Fascia... and a longer version of the CTS's flared out body. The Guts are the result of 3 months of GM engineers and ergonomic techs living inside an S-Class, A8, and NEW.. 7series... essentially finding their flaws and improving them. ( Which is quite possibly what they did in the STS-PLATINUM... if U've had the pleasure)

Engine selection is limited to V8s only... 395HP base 4.4L S/C Northstar.. a 510 HP 4.4L S/C Northstar... and a 630HP LS9 V8 for the.. not V.. But "SUPER V"

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Did U mean to hit the "///" or were U trying to hit the "..." ??? Just wondering...

The solution to making more money is to increase or maintain sales.. and still charge more money than U were when U weren't making as much money... or drastically reduce costs.

People make it seem as tho GM doesn't sell cars... yet last year they sold close to 8.5 million in a bad market. If they had of charged just $100 more for each unit sold they would have brought in $835 Million more dollars... Backed off on incentives of $1000??? $8.35 Billion.

I'm not necessarily advocating hiking prices... but doing so.. in a down market.. might be the only means of survival.

I could use my own company as an example... Our sales were off by 10% over 2007.. because I foresaw the down turn... and raised prices 15%... with less Client "Breaks"... making my sales people work more for their sales.. it looks like 2008 will not only be as profitable as 2007.. but we will have earned about 12% more.. (also due to the additional 5% hike in pricing, Fuel Surcharge increase to compensate for GAS HIKE most of the year, and simple cost cutting thru renegotiation with suppliers.):yup:

Male deli employee...Social Studies teacher in training.
I don't believe U... HEY WAITAMINUTE.. were U talking about my "U"s???:eek:

Other than your Epsilon II being a Cadillac, I'm with you.

The new SRX looks like it's going to be crap.

I don't... I think it looks to be a MARKETABLE winner... unlike the last.. lovable... but unsuccessful SRX Gen I. But since I haven't driven one yet... and I'm assuming no one here has... I'm going to wait for final judgment.. as I would think many would when talking about a possible Epsilon II based BLS... as it is also a PLATFORM that NO ONE on this forum... has driven yet... So how can U judge???

#7 ·
The CTS has promise, replace that run of the mill V6 with a Blue printed V6, and a re-engineered DI to eliminate all NVH. The CTS V is a go as is! The Escalade is hot and should be upgraded with new Marble Trim (optional) 9 speed Overdrive transmission, V8 Cylinder de-activation for economy, and more exterior colors.

The DTS/STS should be replaced immediately!

:drive:

#11 ·
How to fix Cadillac?

Take this car... and put it on the Sigma chassis with the 3.6L DI and 5.0L Ultra.

Ensure quality is at Lexus-levels.

Make sure there's a black on black one with navigation and the Ultra waiting for me at my local dealer.

#13 ·
How to fix Cadillac?

Take this car... and put it on the Sigma chassis with the 3.6L DI and 5.0L Ultra.

Ensure quality is at Lexus-levels.

Make sure there's a black on black one with navigation and the Ultra waiting for me at my local dealer.

BAM!!!!:D

BAM!!!!:dro:

:dro:

Except that Ultra thing... DAMMM!!!!:(

#29 · (Edited)
Gravitas... Perception... Image.... Whatever you want to call it. Cadillac of the 21st century lacks it.

At least prior to the Renaissance, Cadillac at least had some dignity and respect and some semblance of luxury. What we have now is generic, devoid of personality, and just plain lacking.

I'll always remain hopeful that the fog will lift over GM's eyes. But from what I can see... and GM's lack of funding... This will not happen. If ever.

American Style Luxury will forever be defined by the "Kmart Blue Light Special" that is GM's interpretation of luxury.
It's not unique.
It's not sophisticated.
It's not luxury.

Is that from, what is it, Pear?, Orange?, Apple? Some fruity company :D
Pomegranate.
http://www.pomegranatephone.com/

#26 · (Edited)
The OPPORTUNITY (XLR meets CTC):[/B]

How about, since the CTC is supposedly on hold, taking the CTC upmarket.. and actually renaming IT the XLR? Or rather XLC and XLR? They could use the same basic formula that BMW does with the 6series and 5series... Basically a 2+2 Sport Coupe with optional Convertible.. Starting price of $75K.... V8 only.. sorry.. but power is necessary in this class.... and at least 385HP would fit the bill. I like a 4.4L S/C NorthStar detuned for the regular car... and a LSA with 580 HP for the "V".
I love this idea, Cadillac should offer the CTS Coupe in a convertible now that they killed the XLR. Make it an hardtop and IMO it would perfectly fill in for the XLR. Plus you get the additional seating. :clap:

Opportunity II (Epsilon meets BLS.. AGAIN)

I'm sorry.. I kno a lot of people will scold me for this... Calling it blasphemy and all.. But bottom line is that if what stands between Cadillac having a 3series fighter is the decision to not build Alpha and improving EpsilonII even more so.. exclusively for a smaller Cadillac.. Then I'm gonna have get scolded. Most of U are bitching about an UNKNOWN platform being better than a known stellar one... just because of where the power hits the wheels.

This would be even smaller than the Insignia.. smaller than the current 9-3... literally the minuscule difference between the 3series and the 9-3 in fact... (Think Infiniti G)... AWD all the time... STANDARD.. and engines ranging from 260HP-420HP... all V6 and Turbos.
I think this idea can work also, make XWD standard though. Who needs RWD when you have XWD?

#30 ·
Okay I'll quit being such a snob...

Gravitas: Quality of substance. Depth of personality. Dignity. Seriousness.

Cadillacs possess none of these traits. And each is an essential ingredient in making a luxury car.

Cheeze Whiz isn't cheese. And Cadillacs aren't true luxury cars.

They're good cars... but they're good cars in the same way a Lexus, Acura, or Volvo... not Bentley or Jaguar... is.

#41 ·
Ford had world class luxury already in its lineup. They sold all 3 of those brands, retaining a percent stake in Aston. They are now tasked with getting Lincoln up to speed. I've driven their lineup. They're not there yet.
The XF and XFR are no joke. Love or hate the styling... that car is built to compete with the best of the best. The cut corners are not obvious. It's distinctly British while still being world class. You're not going to mistake it for a German rehash.
Long story short.... I don't believe America is capable of building an S-Class competitor. The knowledge base just isn't there. And there is no real definition of "American luxury" to build off of. And Cadillac has diverged quite a bit from its heritage, so it will be difficult to build off that now. It'll be a very steep uphill battle.
The knowledge base is indeed key. Mercedes has spent over 30 years refining the S-Class into the car it is today, and never truly starting from scratch with any redesign.

You'll probably agree with me that no one in the world builds a car truly comparable to the S-Class. The A8, XJ, 7-Series, and LS compete only with the lower-end models, and the Continental Flying Spur competes with the upper-end models.

That being said... America HAS built an S-Class competitor... it's just dressed up in clothes that the general public will accept:

Do you think Ford could have sold this as a Lincoln, in this price range? Methinks not. The brand's reputation must be rebuilt first... from the ground up.

Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, and Volvo may be sold, but Ford has exactly what they need. They have Jaguar's expertise in aluminum bodies and luxury car design, Land Rover's off-road technology, and Volvo's safety technology, all in nice .PDF files, and in certain key personnel retained following the sale.

You haven't even seen the redesigned Jaguar XJ yet, which represents the pinnacle of Dearborn's stewardship of the brands. From what I've heard, it makes the Quattroporte look homely, and the S-Class seem primitive in technology offerings. It won't be for everyone, but will be the XF of the flagship sedan range.

#42 · (Edited)
I think even the Germans, British and Japanese had to start somewhere, with the latter having done exactly that 20 years ago. Americans cannot simply give up on this. Better late than never. Hell, that's what Hyundai, the Koreans are doing now.

An idea I can suggest is to NOT THINK ABOUT IT SO MUCH. I don't think Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc. think and worry 24/7 "What are we compared to BMW/Mercedes/Lexus etc" and as a result become unsure how to do it. You just do it. In fact, you could probably do a better job by relaxing and pretending there is no competition. I do NOT mean do a half-assed job by that - but I mean it would stop the comparisons and second-guessing.

#43 ·
Science advances on the shoulders of giants, building a knowledge base that allows for future discoveries. The Hubble telescope has opened up our views of the universe. But down here on Earth, GM dumps developed cars like they're yesterday's trash. They lack continuity, development, a vision of what the product should be, what it should be going toward, in the direction of an ideal.
I have contended that we don't have to build a better MB or BMW or Audi, we should simply build the best American luxury car. Build it great, and then improve it. And improve it more. After you've laid out the parameters, you refine them year after year.
Look at the S Class. Each generation is better, more relevant to today and tomorrow. Can we say that about any American luxury car? None that I can think of.
I think it would be worthwhile to have a thread that discusses what should be in Cadillac's low, middle, upper and flagship cars, starting with the DTS size.
Starting off, I would propose:
1. spacious comfortable heated leather seating for 5 or 6 full-size adults, with the width and legroom that is more than adequate.
2. Quiet interior, not only at idle but while driving down the road. Engine roar is fine while accelerating, but annoying while cruising.
3. A technically-advanced infotainment system that gives navigation, information, stock quotes, telephony, music, movies, television and all advanced features.
4. Advanced V8 powertrain that gives 0-60 under 8 seconds, 25 mpg overall fuel economy, with low nvh at idle and cruise. Transmissions with deep overdrive for low noise and high economy
5. Timeless style that won't be dated in 3 or 4 years.
6. A great buying experience, service and warranty.

#50 · (Edited)
They lack continuity, development, a vision of what the product should be, what it should be going toward, in the direction of an ideal.
I have contended that we don't have to build a better MB or BMW or Audi, we should simply build the best American luxury car. Build it great, and then improve it. And improve it more. After you've laid out the parameters, you refine them year after year.
What happens when "the best American luxury car" doesn't come close to what is considered "world standard?" Do we throw up our hands and say "fugg it!" Or do we redouble our efforts and improve... and improve... and improve...
Because what I'd seen from Cadillac, they have throw their hands up. That is no way to proceed.
Everything started off well, with XLR and its Bvlgari dials. Unique... classy... sophisticated.... and then it disappeared. It should have been disseminated to STS. But no. DTS would have looked good with it. But no. It was a distinguishing feature.
Lincoln had Cartier. Lexus had Coach. Cadillac needed something.

Build it great? Yes.
But how?

Can Cadillac get there? Absolutely. If they hadn't deviated from the Renaissance plans and continued improving vehicles as they should have.
STS should have morphed into SLS.
XLR should have been updated with more attention to the evolving A&S style.
SRX should have been updated as a performance crossover with the new A&S style instead of being rethought as FWD crossover.
BLS should have been upgraded immediately.
Escalade should have evolved to reflect the SLS stylings.

It is imperative that Cadillac get back to this.
What I see now is Cadillac talking about "going green" and hybridizing and what not. And that's all fine and dandy. But that should NEVER discount from the luxury and style of the cars themselves.

Look at Mercedes S-Class. They only sell LWB here. But with pending CAFE, they will probably sell the V6 and SWB versions in the US now. Furthermore, they have BluTec Diesels. And now they have the S400 BlueHybrid. BUT... it's the same old S-Class that the world has come to know and love.
People want to be green? Fine. But don't expect them to compromise. And that's what S400 is -- a no-compromise uber-sedan that just happens to be green.

That being said... America HAS built an S-Class competitor... it's just dressed up in clothes that the general public will accept:

Do you think Ford could have sold this as a Lincoln, in this price range? Methinks not. The brand's reputation must be rebuilt first... from the ground up.

Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, and Volvo may be sold, but Ford has exactly what they need. They have Jaguar's expertise in aluminum bodies and luxury car design, Land Rover's off-road technology, and Volvo's safety technology, all in nice .PDF files, and in certain key personnel retained following the sale.
Touche.
And you're right. Reputation must be rebuilt. It is the image of the car... of the brand. How does GM do that when all their efforts on branding revolve around the brand "GM?!" No one gives a flying fig what "GM" is. The brand people identify with are the brands themselves -- Cadillac, Chevrolet, etc.

And that's what I really liked about Ford's PAG. They were build on common parts but modified. They were built on common platforms -- for the most part. But each one stood on its own. Each one was distinct from the next. Could you tell the difference between LS and S-Type? No. Could you tell the Duratecs from the Jaguar AJ? Not really. S80 from MKS? No.

The question is, has Ford really retained that expertise? Time will tell. LIncoln with an all aluminum chassis and body? Good luck. The XJ's platform is the most advanced in the world. You can bet Jaguar will exploit it.

You haven't even seen the redesigned Jaguar XJ yet, which represents the pinnacle of Dearborn's stewardship of the brands. From what I've heard, it makes the Quattroporte look homely, and the S-Class seem primitive in technology offerings. It won't be for everyone, but will be the XF of the flagship sedan range.
No one has seen the XJ... and I'm dying to see it.
From what I've heard, it puts Quattroporte to shame... and S-Class look like a Fisher Price toy in comparison. Couple that with British attention to detail and luxury panache and handcrafted leather and wood accents... and a 512HP engine... and XJ will be a stand out once again.
It is a very smart decision on Jaguar's part. Head to head competition with the standard of the world -- the S-Class -- is a losing proposition. Mercedes knows and understands the meaning of "continual improvement."
So, Jaguar can still compete in that segment and still offer a competitive product with a Jaguar spin, without going head to head with the 800 lb gorilla. Yet it can survive without going head to head with the 400 lb gorillas in the room too -- 7-series and A8. And we can't forget the 150 lb orangutan making noise in the room too -- the LS.

So how does a 20 lb chimpanzee (Cadillac) play with the big boys?

#45 ·
Amazing... I started off this thread with good intent.. but was of course met with silly comments relative more to grammar preference than the topic at hand... I can trade insults... and very well I might add.. but that is not my intended role.

That being said... I will stop using "U" when the 60% of U on this forum... a GM forum... stop promoting the Foreign Competition like they can do no wrong...:rolleyes:

Now.. on to business... as this thread was originally intended to propose possibilities for change based on the idea of "GLASS HALF FULL" rather than the opposite that so many of U tend to gravitate towards...

So far what I've gathered is that everything Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, and Lexus have done over the last 10 years is make perfect cars... while everything Cadillac has done over the same period is produce complete rubbish.. which i of course tend to disagree.. and while I'll be the first to come down on Cadillac and more importantly GM for not addressing the REAL TRUTH of the matter.. the Premium Executive Sedan market with a competitive vehicle... or the Entry Level Junior Exec market with a premium compact (which is what the 3series is)... I will not expect them to make those changes by me blindly supporting the Foreign makes.

What amazes me most about this place.. and there is strong evidence to back up my observance... is that defending a product made my General Motors is automatically a recipe for ridicule and hate... while even the mention of a Foreign make is cause celebration... Bizarre if U ask me... but i won't falter.

Cadillac still holds a prestigious position in the world of automotive. While I will admit that it is currently not on the level of Mercedes.. it easily equals both Jag and BMW.. even in it's current state.. with no Extreme large or Extreme small segment presence. The very addition of those two things.. if executed properly would optimistically catapult them into Mercedes territory. Basically the consensus is that the 7series holds BMW into Extreme Lux... the XJ does so for Jag... the LS does so for Lexus.. and so on.. but Cadillac relying on the middle of the road (in size) STS falls short of what is expected of a brand with it's prior and possible potentials.

#51 ·
And that's what I really liked about Ford's PAG. They were build on common parts but modified. They were built on common platforms -- for the most part. But each one stood on its own. Each one was distinct from the next. Could you tell the difference between LS and S-Type? No. Could you tell the Duratecs from the Jaguar AJ? Not really. S80 from MKS? No.
PAG was a horrifying disaster, but we'll talk about that another day.

The question is, has Ford really retained that expertise? Time will tell. LIncoln with an all aluminum chassis and body? Good luck. The XJ's platform is the most advanced in the world. You can bet Jaguar will exploit it.
Expertise is there... but the market cannot support it, and neither can Ford's finances. Like I said... a $75,000 Lincoln? Please... the market won't be ready for that for a long time.

No one has seen the XJ... and I'm dying to see it.
From what I've heard, it puts Quattroporte to shame... and S-Class look like a Fisher Price toy in comparison. Couple that with British attention to detail and luxury panache and handcrafted leather and wood accents... and a 512HP engine... and XJ will be a stand out once again.
It is a very smart decision on Jaguar's part. Head to head competition with the standard of the world -- the S-Class -- is a losing proposition. Mercedes knows and understands the meaning of "continual improvement."
So, Jaguar can still compete in that segment and still offer a competitive product with a Jaguar spin, without going head to head with the 800 lb gorilla. Yet it can survive without going head to head with the 400 lb gorillas in the room too -- 7-series and A8. And we can't forget the 150 lb orangutan making noise in the room too -- the LS.
The XJ is going to be absolutely insane. I've made an appointment to look over the XF-R when the time comes, but I'm fearful that it might inherit some of the XJ's more insane features once it debuts.

Tata's loss is our gain... hope the $15 billion was worth it...

#54 ·
All of the above comments criticizing GM's efforts are by an large on the money. GM needs to take Cadillac seriously, or not do it at all. Doing what they're doing right now is just wasting time.

Stellar products like the new CTS do nothing if you don't have a comprehensive lineup to support it. This Cadillac does not have. The DTS has a dying (literally) clientele. The STS looks nice, but has a crappy interior, and is what it is; a half a--ed attempt to compete with the $60k cars from Germany and Japan. Sure it's nice...but at this price with this level of competiion, being 'nice' just does not cut it.

GM really has to look into what defines 'American luxury." What is American luxury? I'm not sure even I know. What were some of the cars the U.S. produced that defined this term... Pre-war Cadillacs and Packards certainly lived up to this term, so did Deusenbergs. But what about post-war? The Eldorado Brougham, the 61 Continental? What has Cadillac and Lincoln produced that really stands out? The sad fact is that for many people my age, (29) 'American Luxury' is a loaded up Escalade or a Navigator rolling on 24's. I'm sorry, but that just will not do.

It's important to remember that the mess Cadillac is in now is ultimately its own making, and it has deep historic roots. In the 1930's, American luxury, whether it was the V-16 Caddy's, Packards, Deusenburgs, could go head to head with anything in the world. The flagship models did not sell in large numbers; the Great Depression anyone? They were expensive, and looked it and felt it, and apologized for nothing.

Come the postwar period America entered a new period of affluance, GM tapped into the new up and comers by devaluing Cadillac, lowering the price of the cars in relation to normal cars. While the cars were now more accessible, and sold in the thousands, this came at a cost, mainly exclusivity and quality. Still, this marketing strategy helped Cadillac forge ahead for a couple of generations. Then came zee Germans with they're altermative view of luxury. It wasn't a big hit with the World War II era, but it dominated with baby boomers. And still dominates today.

For Cadillac to be great again, GM needs to seriously reassess "what is American luxury, and how is unique?" Then build a line of cars reflecting this attitude, and build them well. No more CTS's with windshileld moldings falling off, or DTS' with immobile power seats. Do American Luxury well and perhaps Cadillac will once again be "Standard of the World."

#57 ·
All of the above comments criticizing GM's efforts are by an large on the money. GM needs to take Cadillac seriously, or not do it at all. Doing what they're doing right now is just wasting time.
So what exactly happened to the $5-6B Cadillac got for the Renaissance?
If to be taken seriously in this market was really a key factor, then they should have been able to turn things around.

Stellar products like the new CTS do nothing if you don't have a comprehensive lineup to support it. This Cadillac does not have.
Correct. CTS is a one-hits wonder.

GM really has to look into what defines 'American luxury." What is American luxury? I'm not sure even I know. What were some of the cars the U.S. produced that defined this term... Pre-war Cadillacs and Packards certainly lived up to this term, so did Deusenbergs. But what about post-war? The Eldorado Brougham, the 61 Continental? What has Cadillac and Lincoln produced that really stands out? The sad fact is that for many people my age, (29) 'American Luxury' is a loaded up Escalade or a Navigator rolling on 24's. I'm sorry, but that just will not do.
OK. But are the Deusenbergs really what Cadillac should be aiming for in the 21st century? Cadillac was no slouch in that time period ya know.

What remains of America's luxury brands? Ritz-Carlton? Fairmont? St. Regis? Hickey Freeman? Ralph Lauren? Tiffany? Do they make up what can be considered "American Luxury?" What sets apart "American luxury" from "European luxury?"

We need to remember the old adage, "Luxury is a necessity that begins where necessity ends." No one needs a $2500 purse!! But people aspire to get that purple Louis Vuitton bag!!

Why is Cadillac lost? Because Cadillac doesn't understand the intricacies of the luxury market!
You know, after all those Cadillac commercials year after year? Really, the only one that reflects the true luxury and sophistication of the brand was the one with the jeweler fashioning the Cadillac crest with a voice over talking about the handcrafted engines.
No one gives a crap about Cadillacs zooming by on the Bonneville Salt flats. Even the kate Walsh commercials fall a bit short. And that Escalade toilet one definitely falls short.

For Cadillac to be great again, GM needs to seriously reassess "what is American luxury, and how is unique?" Then build a line of cars reflecting this attitude, and build them well. No more CTS's with windshileld moldings falling off, or DTS' with immobile power seats. Do American Luxury well and perhaps Cadillac will once again be "Standard of the World."
I would like the posit a response to "What is American luxury," but I can't. I don't even know if I could piece together a cogent reason.
What I do know without a doubt is that Cadillac's path of imitating BMW without any deference to its heritage will ultimately lead to the brand's doom. History is littered by the collapse of companies unsuccessfully trying to rework their products to fit expectations.

McDonalds doesn't sell chow mein in China. And they don't sell escargot in France. People go to McDonalds to get a Big Mac and fries.
Likewise, people don't come to Cadillac expecting BMW level performance. If they want a BMW, then they'll get the real thing, not some warmed over version that doesn't have the technology or panache of the real thing.

Cadillac's target should have been Mercedes. And their products should have reflected Cadillac's luxury heritage while deferring to Mercedes' class and reputation for overbuilding cars.

Cadillac needs to play Mercedes' game. Mercedes controls all the cards. But Cadillac competes by bringing in its Wild Card -- "American luxury" -- whatever the heck that is.

#65 · (Edited)
In reference to the materials I disagree... The Materials are spot on in the base CTS versus the base XF... when one starts to climb into the upper prices of both cars.. U ultimately see the differences I speak of... The CTS Premium package is a GEM.. the Sport is as well.. and the Luxo package seriously is admirable... AGAIN.. I'm not downing the XF.. just saying that I see... from a consumer point of view, nothing about it that triumphs the Cadillac.

At least the BMW 535i and 550 can say they out-perform the CTS V6, one due to added punch of Turbo Boost.. and the other due to the lack of available V8 to compete (not talking M5 vs CTS-V ).. but interior-wise, styling, and techno.. sorry but as much as it hurts your feelings that I like an American Luxo over a European one... the CTS offers serious hope that Cadillac is not done yet.. despite my opening statements.

#66 ·
^^^^

what are you trying to say here exactly? That Cadillac is doing fine, or that they're not or what? The shining star in the Caddy lineup now is no doubt the CTS, but the CTS is only one car, it can't compete against everything. Save for the CTS the entire caddy lineup needs an overhaul to compete successfully with the likes of Mercedes, BMW and even Lexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.