GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why I Hate GM... Why Cadillac is Lost... The Solution Instead of Complaints

33K views 191 replies 34 participants last post by  CmicasatheGreat 
#1 · (Edited)
U kno what just occurred to me ??? That according to people like mgescuro.. Cadillac can only be considered top tier Luxo if it offers these things U posted in their BASE CAR... even if they charged the Platinum price... Meaning there would be NO PLATINUM editions... the Platinum edition would be the ONLY car.. with all of those options... with that particular price..

The STS culd have pulled that off IMO... if it were larger, had a more powerful engine, a better laid out interior (like the CTS), and a more "complicated and frustrating" user interface like IDRIVE.. OH.. and add some nice Fender Flares and curves... ala CTS as well

And I agree with that point of view... that Cadillac should not offer anything BARGAIN... Price them as high as they can but make sure they have amenities that can compete well with the competition...

==============The Meat and Potatoes of yet again... Another Cmicasa the Great XVX Rant===============

On that note... Most people don't realize and are too stupid to kno that U can get the complete driving experience of a BMW in a Pontiac... Most people will not wish to admit such a thing.. but U can. U can get almost all the options of a Benz.. in a Honda or Chevy now... The market is resting on false pretenses of the past...

But who cares.. throw moronic superficial realizations to the wind. In the end scenario it's all about the badge.

So How do U.. as an America Luxo company with a grand history, scores of potential, and a parent company that is a slave to it's own past successes and failures... proceed?

The Line-Up as it is makes for a Scary thought... We are currently being left... after the death of the XLR and the "lame duckness" of the STS and DTS.. with just the CTS, CTS wagon, SRX, and Escalade...

Has Cadillac become a 3 car company??? With GM completely betting this Mega-Icon's luck on essentially one mainstream luxo sedan and it's derivative wagon???

GM has always bewildered me. They must automatically have a success... right out the gate.. or that product is dead.. DEAD.. DEAD. In fact some times the product is a success.. and they still kill it due to some less than stellar perception that they themselves were responsible for (think Cobalt being renamed Cruze)

Oh Oh... so back to what I was thinking... CADILLAC... A viable line-up... in the absence of the fluff.

Why not take the XLR's demise as an opportunity? I love that car.. it beautiful.. unique, performs as well or better than it competition.. but it would be better suited to a company like VW/Audi... than one like GM/Cadillac. VW/Audi tends to be patient with it's offerings.. watching them grow... improving upon the weaknesses and following thru... GM missed a huge opportunity with the XLR... and the STS for that matter... When people complain.. LISTEN and IMPROVE... especially in this class, as price wasn't the primary concern, so budget is not really the issue.

The OPPORTUNITY (XLR meets CTC):

How about, since the CTC is supposedly on hold, taking the CTC upmarket.. and actually renaming IT the XLR? Or rather XLC and XLR? They could use the same basic formula that BMW does with the 6series and 5series... Basically a 2+2 Sport Coupe with optional Convertible.. Starting price of $75K.... V8 only.. sorry.. but power is necessary in this class.... and at least 385HP would fit the bill. I like a 4.4L S/C NorthStar detuned for the regular car... and a LSA with 580 HP for the "V".

U see this would address a serious issue with being able to market the XLR against cars like the XK and 911 Carrerra.. not to mention the 650i... having the room in the back for passengers... which very often is necessary in that demographic as older couples tend to ride together

Opportunity II (Epsilon meets BLS.. AGAIN:yup:)

I'm sorry.. I kno a lot of people will scold me for this... Calling it blasphemy and all.. But bottom line is that if what stands between Cadillac having a 3series fighter is the decision to not build Alpha and improving EpsilonII even more so.. exclusively for a smaller Cadillac.. Then I'm gonna have get scolded. Most of U are bitching about an UNKNOWN platform being better than a known stellar one... just because of where the power hits the wheels.

This would be even smaller than the Insignia.. smaller than the current 9-3... literally the minuscule difference between the 3series and the 9-3 in fact... (Think Infiniti G)... AWD all the time... STANDARD.. and engines ranging from 260HP-420HP... all V6 and Turbos

Opportunity III (The BIG ONE.. The RAPE of Pontiac.. or is it Holden)

ZETA... ZETA Premium... On top of it is a car with the current STS's front Fascia... and a longer version of the CTS's flared out body. The Guts are the result of 3 months of GM engineers and ergonomic techs living inside an S-Class, A8, and NEW.. 7series... essentially finding their flaws and improving them. ( Which is quite possibly what they did in the STS-PLATINUM... if U've had the pleasure)

Engine selection is limited to V8s only... 395HP base 4.4L S/C Northstar.. a 510 HP 4.4L S/C Northstar... and a 630HP LS9 V8 for the.. not V.. But "SUPER V"

See less See more
#69 ·
Don't get me wrong, cmicas, the CTS has a great interior. I wouldn't call it cheap or anything such. And I'm not suggesting the CTS is inferior either. It just lacks a certain je ne sais quois that Jaguar has.

And I wouldn't be arguing this unless I had some experience with these vehicles. I drive my cousin's CTS regularly (he's too cheap to pay for long-term parking at the airport) and my wife recently took delivery of a 2009 XF (which I've got to beg to drive).

Again, one is not outright superior to the other. Dynamically, I'd day they're on par, with the Jag having a teensy edge by having a better ride. I can't compare performance cuz the wifeypoo ordered the V8. But the performance between the two is marginal, so I'd say the CTS probably outperforms the V6 XF.

But the CTS, despite being a wonderful automobile, still lacks a certain "something" that oozes out of the Jaguar. It's not something that's easy to put into words, it's just a feeling you get.

The CTS excites the mind, excites the body. The XF soothes the soul.

Luxury is about being soothed and cosseted, not about being excited.

Unfortunately, Cadillac keeps seeking to emulate the soul-less Germanic übertechnik aspect of carmaking, while sadly ignoring that English Gentleman's Club feel that reeks once you step inside a Jag.

#78 · (Edited)
Don't get me wrong, cmicas, the CTS has a great interior. I wouldn't call it cheap or anything such. And I'm not suggesting the CTS is inferior either. It just lacks a certain je ne sais quois that Jaguar has.
If je ne sais quois means boring or... more respectfully "Plain"... status quo.. then yeah.. I agree. But then we are back to the idea that everything European is "upper crust" where as anything else.. specifically American... is Crude. I t reminds me of an IGNORANT comment a fellow poster made about "British and tea.. and Americans and Hot dogs"...

And I wouldn't be arguing this unless I had some experience with these vehicles. I drive my cousin's CTS regularly (he's too cheap to pay for long-term parking at the airport) and my wife recently took delivery of a 2009 XF (which I've got to beg to drive).
"Took Delivery"??? "too cheap"??? Is there a bit of cynicism in that or am I just being paranoid???:eek:

Nonetheless... My cousin just "took delivery" of a 2008 CTS recently... the non-Di model... I'm giving my wife my STS and "taking delivery" of a 2009 CTS-V within a coupla months... I drove an XF... and with exception to the exterior.. was generally unimpressed other than the fact that it for some reason reminded me of an Lincoln MKS :confused:

Again, one is not outright superior to the other. Dynamically, I'd day they're on par, with the Jag having a teensy edge by having a better ride. I can't compare performance cuz the wifeypoo ordered the V8. But the performance between the two is marginal, so I'd say the CTS probably outperforms the V6 XF.
Preaching to the choir on this one.. If I ran Cadillac the first thing I'd do is drop a 6.2L L99 or detuned S/C 4.4L North* in the CTS.

But the CTS, despite being a wonderful automobile, still lacks a certain "something" that oozes out of the Jaguar. It's not something that's easy to put into words, it's just a feeling you get.
It's called higher price...

The CTS excites the mind, excites the body. The XF soothes the soul.

Luxury is about being soothed and cosseted, not about being excited.
Some debate whether a SOUL actually exists... I hope so.. but for now... I like my Body and Mind EXCITED... :yup:
Unfortunately, Cadillac keeps seeking to emulate the soul-less Germanic übertechnik aspect of carmaking, while sadly ignoring that English Gentleman's Club feel that reeks once you step inside a Jag.

See there U go... I have often seen the Brits as "Soft"... and that's no to sound ignorant but I like übertechnik in my cars in the new Millennium.

===========================================

Did GM's Board of Directors agree to UAW contracts? What happens when you make an agreement not in your best interests? Blame anything you want, but face it: you have screwed up!
I said that already... why are U repeating what I already said?

Again, we are not only speaking about the troubles of 2008, when the Credit Meltdown, dollar/Euro vs yen conversions, and the World Financial collapse occurred--GM was burning money for almost a decade!
Dude.. the UAW should have been SHUT DOWN 30 Years ago... so now.. U are SINGING to the PREACHER

This is where the condescension in your posts comes out: You pretend to know us and our information sources; you don't!
And U obviously don't kno me.. because I could care less about U

There's a difference between being a fan and just appearing like a fanatic. Fanatics often discover that the objects of their passions: often disappear, end up in bunkers or holes, have their unmentionables exposed, and ultimately come of a embarrassing end, without remedy.

:drive:
Yeah Yeah...

#71 ·
I don't know if the XF is that great

It seems to look pretty nondescript on the road. The CTS is easily seen from far away though.

I think it can be safetly said the CTS is a excellent product. I mean the XF isn't lighting sales charts on fire, even CTS is more popular by a wide margin.

To argue of luxury, I would say a Chevrolet Aveo dey luxury, luxury of transport...

#87 · (Edited)
If STS got the SLS interior like it was supposed to, then the argument would be, "WHy couldn't Cadillac move that interior across the board?"

One car doesn't make a lineup.

If you look beyond cars, you'll see that this generally applies absolutely everywhere. Therefore, it's going to be very hard to break for any particular product (including a vehicle).
That's kind of my point. There is no longer a definition of "American luxury."
Much of what Americans deem luxurious is European in nature.
That's why it's so difficult to focus on "American luxury."

And ultimately, that's what is going to continue to hold Cadillac back. So Cadillac needs to be the defining brand for American luxury.

Perhaps that is not such a bad thing after all. But it is quite a tall task. And an impossible task for a marketing impotent company like GM.

#77 ·
I think what a lot of you are talking about is desirability. If all the cars are competent, then you decide on other facets.
German cars are known for engineering, even over-engineering, in a cold analytic way. Their cars are cold. BMW stresses driving dynamics more than MB.
Italian cars are known for passion, style, flair, at least in the higher ranges.
Jaguar cars are known for old world charm, somewhat outdated engineering, but elegance. Reliability? No.
Cadillacs were known for large highly-styled powerful luxury cars, but not engineering or elegance.
I think a lot of people, including my sons, have been brain-washed into thinking American cars are junk or for old people, while the only cars worth driving (and being seen in) are German, Italian or Lexus. I think they have been brainwashed so long they can't see the progress American cars have made.
If they perceived Cadillac as being desirable, they would buy them, but they consider Cadillacs as being old peoples' cars, and not a car they would want to drive or be seen in.
Image equals desirability for them, and many others.
Cadillac doesn't need to be the best on a track, but they need to become desirable again. They need to rebuild their image. But it takes great products, sustained development, great warranties, an overall great experience owning the cars.
Can Cadillac rebuild their image and desirability with just the CTS? No.
With a 3series fighter too? You're getting closer, but not there.
With a DTS replacement that is desirable and outstanding in every way? YES!
Cadillac needs to rebuild their image, their cars and their desirability, or go home.

#79 · (Edited)
And once again... a Guy who gets it....:yup:

==============================================

As if that really matters, considering you don't even listen to what I'm saying. If you did, you'll notice that I've never said "Copy Mercedes."
U damn near said that very thing about 3 pages ago...

Wow. How many pairs of rose colored glasses do you own??
You think Cadillac is in it current situation because GM's broke? What did Cadillac do with the $5-6 billion allotted to it?? STS has improved since it was launched? Considering the car has been on a sales decline since launch?
Actually the STS saw a helluva sales increase in the beginning of last year year into the fall with the MCE... I challenge U now to even find a Dealer lot where there are an abundance of STS.. GM has abandoned it due to their marred belief that every car has to sell as many as a Camry to survive

Technically, STS is on par with the Europeans. Stylistically? Image? Sophistication? Materials? Attention to detail? It trails... badly. The only solution was to get the SLS interior to STS. That did not happen.
Here we go again with that tired rant... The Platinum Interior is as nice as anything in a 750i...

Once again. I have driven the entire lineup of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, and POrsche.
So yes... I have been in a 7-series. I have driven 7-series. I have ridden in a 7-series.
Same with E-Class and CLS.
I've also driven Bentley Flying Spur, ConGT, and Azure, a Rolls Phantom, a Maybach, a DB9.
Dude 3 minute stints Valet Parking:D is not what I'm talking about.. I've driven almost everyone of those as well and it was for more than your 3 minutes

Europeans aren't "perfect," but as is my point... European luxury is what the world considers "world standard." And that is the ruler that all who come must be measured against.
Sorry.. but me being American I believe there is a better way... U being European of course U will see it your way

Performance and HP are only part of the equation. Once again, you always put that superficial factoid as your primary reason for preferring American. Who gives a ****? A GTi R32 is going to out corner and out drive the SS. Plus it has technolgy and sophistication well above the measly Cobalt.
As crazy as this sounds.. and I never thought I'd say it. but U might be crazy thing so lowly of the Cobalt...

550i is heads and shoulders over G8. Passat over Malibu?
Corvette is a poor man's Porsche... for people who can't afford Porsche.
XLR-V is dead.
Escalade over RR Sport?? LOL
The Corvette is proving to more of a "poor man's Ferrari...." and mon ami.. I can afford all three.. at the same time

The XLR is dead.. in 2010.. now is 2009.

The Escalade triumphs over the RR Sport in everything but price. Hell it even comes in a Hybrid now.. and spend 363 days of the year less in the shop as the RR Sport

I'll actually agree with Enclave and Touareg. But the rest is such bull.

Yeaaa... yet another mention of that superficial rating.

And yet you want to take a Corvette over a 911.
YUP... Being well off doesn't always have to equate to being foolish with spending... But I digress.. Because I actually respect Porsche above almost all other Euro Brands

#80 ·
At the Auto show, my sons liked the CTS a lot, the STS somewhat, and hated the DTS. They went so far as telling me I should buy a CTS for my wife, which I would consider, but the back seat is too small for our needs.
There is hope for Cadillac if they can win back the youth, with desirability and image they find appealing. It can be done. But only with great products. People will buy if they believe the Cadillac is as good as the Bimmer or MB, but not if they believe it is inferior. Build it better, back it better = sell it better.

#82 ·
I enjoy Jaguar because of unique aspects of the car. It is "attainable exclusivity." Not everyone get/understands Jaguar. IT is as good or better than a comparable BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. And seeing as all my friends have one of the three.... I want something different.
Well, in my view, Jaguar isn't really comparable to BMW/MB/Audi, at long last. It should be more of an "affordable Bentley" or "affordable Aston Martin", rather than a cheap imitation of a BMW. The XF and XK now capture that concept very well, and I couldn't be more pleased.

I'll actually agree with Enclave and Touareg. But the rest is such bull.
Really? Where would that leave the Q7, then? Or Cayenne, for that matter?

#84 ·
This thread points at several different problems with Caddy.
1) Image vs other luxury brands
For 30 years, Caddy was known for large land boats, with massive V8's that road on a cloud. Combine that with the lack of innovation and keeping up with the Euros put Caddy firmly in the 2nd Tier luxury class. At the same time, the Japanese moved foward with thier luxury to match the Euros step for step. You sit in a 2000 Deville, the HARD plastics, the generic HVAC/Radio plugs, massive gaps, horribly fake wood...its scary.
Caddy has tried to gain back what it has lost, but really has only tried starting in 2005 when the STS came on board. The CTS was a solid car, the STS was a solid car, the SRX was a solid car, you had the Escalade that was a big hit. They were all huge advancements over thier past versions. Problem is that they still didnt match the Euros or even the increasingly good Japanese. But it wasnt quality they werent matching, it was a size/content issue, and that leads to #2
2) Caddy made wrong sized cars for each segment
The CTS was a great midsized sport sedan. The chassis was solid, it handled very well, and its interior was a little blah. It was the size of a 5 series, the leader of the midsize segment. Problem is...it was priced and equiped to fight with the 3 series? Well, compared to them and others in its class, it was MASSIVE! And even then, it still lacked.
Then the STS came, we were going to finally get a true mid sizer and hoepfully that next gen CTS would shrink to be a true 3 series fighter. STS shows up, and its MASSIVE!! Its big on the outside, but equiped to try to do battle with teh 5 series in technology. While the STS is a nice car, its interior was very boring and drab. Even going to the Plat inteior standard wouldnt do much with the STS's boring design.
The SRX follows the same deal. Not wide enough to look like an SUV, not long enough to be a true 7 seater, just an odd ball car with a poor interior that did in fact get upgraded. I dont see why the STS could have gotten a better MCE, but they didnt.
And then you have the XLR. Caddy's first test and making an icon car. While its style was breathtaking, it failed to equip the car to be a true TRUE SL fighter. Cheap, boring interior, lack of technological advancements, and overall high price tag killed this car. Why would anyone get one over an SL? Hell, the Lexus SC430 has sold forever using the same design, engine, interior, and technology for just about a decade, and no problems!! It was almost like Caddy was throwing darts all over the place, trying to find a hit.
Well they were getting better at it, and gave us the 2008 Caddy CTS. It had all the things we begged for. Power, handling, luxury, design, quality, style, sex appeal, technology...everything. But now its bigger, and a true 5 series fighter. Even with all the advancements, still lacked behind the 5 series. Still doesnt have a V8 engine, still doesnt have some of top notch technology.
3) Luxury and Technology
We are still missing a lot in the CTS. Soem can say "well it still has a lot of luxury" and yes it does, but for a different segment. Go through the 5 series list of standard and available items. Go through the E classes list of items.
Same for the STS.

Caddy must, once again, build from the ground up. Everyone at Caddy should buy a 3 series and drive them every day. To and from work, carry thier families, take the dog to the vet, go out on a date or a night with thier wives, feel this car out. They need to build a car that does all the 3 series does. The 3 will continue to be the ulimate image of BMW. When people think BMW, they dont think of any other car but the 3 series IMO. It is thier flagship, and its why they cannot fail. When the 5 got flack for its odd design, they just really kept moving. When the first Bangle 7 came out, they didnt do much. But it took so long to get that 3 series right, to make it better then any other German or Japanese vehicle out there. It had to be better in every way. Caddy must focus on an entry level luxury sedan/coupe RWD/AWD vehicle in order to set up Caddy for the future. As other countries start to downsize, it is important now mor ethen ever that Caddy moves as fast as it can to get Alpha ready.

IF Caddy were ever to go with a flagship sedan, a true 7 series car, I would like it to be something that just hasnt been done yet. Something that they dont expect a company like GM to do. Perhaps a Voltec-only powertrain? A hydrogen fuel cell Voltec car would not only display Caddy as the leader in technology, but GM's true flag ship for the future. What an epic kind of car it would be. Fill it with every single imagineable and unimagineable technologies in GM's empire. It would be GM's "Great White Fleet" of cars, showing the world what GM and America can do.
I hope that GM moves foward with a car like this in the future. I really really do.

#97 ·
It's not even a matter of driving dynamics, material quality, reliability, horsepower, refinement, dealership experience, or anything.

It's an attention to detail, and bringing everything together.

#99 · (Edited)
I haven't been on these boards very long, but I can absolutely see where mgescuro is coming from. Why is Cadillac's entry level car have a nicer interior and exterior than their supposed top of the line sedan? Why is the DTS still around on FWD and the old Northstar? Why is build quality not up to the levels it should be on a $50k car? Why was the XLR interior so low-rent looking for a car that topped out at $100k?

I work at a Cadillac dealership, and I'm around all of these cars constantly. While the Seville interior had build quality problems, it felt more high quality and has a nicer design than the current STS. The build quality is much improved over the Caddy's of the '90's, but they have a little more work to do. I will say the CTS interior is stunning and I have no complaints with it. We should have gotten the Chinese SLS from the start. The XLR needed a more powerful Northstar and nicer interior.

I will also say that I have never loved any Cadillac as much as I love the '98-'03 Seville STS. The design is universally accepted, whereas the A&S is polarizing to some. Some find it boring, but I find it elegant and sexy. If Cadillac wants to be a high end luxury brand, they need to figure out they're footing in the market.

#103 ·
I will also say that I have never loved any Cadillac as much as I love the '98-'03 Seville STS. The design is universally accepted, whereas the A&S is polarizing to some. Some find it boring, but I find it elegant and sexy. If Cadillac wants to be a high end luxury brand, they need to figure out they're footing in the market.
That Seville was great. I really liked the body colored grille. There was just something about it -- especially in black.

I never found it boring. I thought it was more understated elegance. You could absolutely improve on it and do other things. Some of it came to pass in the 6th Gen STS, but much of it fell to the wayside as the competition became stronger and STS lost its elegance.

#100 ·
This would be a better discussion without personal attacks.
Cadillac needs to work to be the best Cadillac they can be, produce the best cars they can. They shouldn't try to be BMW, MB, Lexus or Jaguar.
I would suggest that they start with a 10-year warranty, that could be called "The Cadillac Promise." The promise would be all car maintenance would be provided, free of additional costs, for all needed maintenance, repairs, fluids, everything. EVERYTHING.
If your car was low on windshield fluid, they'd fill it for free. If your tires or brakes wore out, they'd replace them for free. And every Cadillac owner who bought the promise Cadillac would get a free loaner.
Would it cost Cadillac money? I doubt it, because they would be offering a value-added service worth something to the owner, something the owner would talk about, and that GM could pay for by higher selling prices on promised Cadillacs.

#104 ·
The Seville was best in Sable Black. I wanted a black one, ended up with Sterling.

The Seville STS lacked only a few crucial elements to truly compete against the best sports sedans from Europe. This included: RWD, a more sporting suspension for the STS model, improved reliability and build quality, and a better resale value. If the Seville had that from the beginning, it would have been a more laudable car. Most people look down it for being FWD.

I love mine, and it's hard for me to think that I would replace it with an '05+ STS. I don't love that bodystyle.

#108 ·
The problem with the new STS is its so damn slab sided, with little to no character at wall. Compared with Seville, which was sleek and sporty looking it really has no personality at all. The CTS is definitely a more attractive car.

Blue Onyx is a color that has peaked my interest lately. The one I posted a while back is the exact car I would purchase if something were to happen to my Seville right now. I adore mine.

#109 · (Edited)
I have a question for you... On your dash, on your head light switch... the little rotary knob that pops in and out... The one that controls the dimmer for the inside lights... It that knob illuminated at night? The little back lit interior lights on my car are starting to burnout... The Heated seat switch light just died as did the traction control switch back light...

I have discovered that Radio Shack sells replacement bulbs for these switches... they are a bit of a pain in that you have to soldier them in... but I'm pretty good with the pencil soldiering iron... And this is a fun project.

The part number for the bulb is: 272-1154
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104023

Just wondering if I need to re&re my head light switch...

#110 ·
So basically can we all agree that no matter what GM.. Cadillac does... it can never be as good as the Europeans because it's American? I mean that the consensus I'm getting right now...

When Cadillac was the "Floaty Boats" they were considered "old... and Snoot mobiles".. now that they have products that are exciting...fun to drive... exhilarating to look at... they are considered without substance.. which by its very usage in this thread.. is the essence of BMW.

Basically we have some here who agree with me that Cadillac is on the right track.. GM's finances be willing.. and will continue to build on foundation laid by the Escalade, CTS, STS, SRX, and XLR.. because the way I see it.. the first spawns of the previous A&S philosophy... the current CTS and Escalade... show massive amounts of growth, and bode well in their segments.. class leading in many cases... Something to continue to build on... And while the STS was not what Cadillac needed... it's doing no worse in the current market than any other car it's supposed to be competing with in the U.S. Which Amazes me because we have the BRAND NEW Lexus GS selling only 898 in Jan 09... and it gets none of this BS:confused:

Then we have the ones here who out and out seem to think ANYTHING built by any foreign maker is simply better.. mostly because it's built by a foreign maker... and the representations of well thought out attention and detail are pretty much all they refer to when they are comparing them to the American competitor.. By that I mean.. Lets compare an S600.. to a V6 STS:rolleyes:

Lastly we have some who simply want Cadillac to build the floaty boats of the past... complain about FWD vehicles even as the ENTRY LEVEL whip.. but feel as tho a FWD Seville is where Cadillac should be putting it's eggs:confused:

#111 · (Edited)
Lastly we have some who simply want Cadillac to build the floaty boats of the past... complain about FWD vehicles even as the ENTRY LEVEL whip.. but feel as tho a FWD Seville is where Cadillac should be putting it's eggs:confused:
No-one said that... What we said is that GM needs to make large Cadillacs with gorgeous styling outside and beautiful appointments inside. IMO the last Cadillac that did this was the 2003 STS...

The 98-2004 Sevilles had one BIG problem... they were driven by the wrong wheels. Other then that they were "American Cars" that looked great, were fun to drive, had modern competitive interiors and hauled a$$ on the interstate... They were snapped up left and right and they SOLD tons of these cars to a WIDE demographic of middle managers and up and comers... This car was HUGE for GM...

The new STS (IMO) doesn't look American, it is cramped inside full of odd right angles, and it is slower then just about everything it competes against...

The XLR is dead and the STS WILL get cancelled within 12 months... Mark my word. This is a TERRIBLE shame and should have never happened... This was a market segment that GM and Cadillac OWNED... they were UNTOUCHABLE only 10 years ago... and now they sell fewer cars then a boring still born Lexus.

What should we compare a S600 to at GM? GM has walked... ran... away from this market.

#115 · (Edited)
I did a check while driving just a second ago and it doesn't light up. Strange, I always thought it had. I've also heard that finding the lights to go for those buttons are next to impossible, since they are a "unique" kind.

Also, I never said that Cadillac should re-introduce a Seville. That would kinda be backwards thinking there; The Seville was last drop dead gorgeous looking Cadillac IMO, and also sold more throughout its life than the STS has. Most of the traditional Seville buyers are polarized by the STS's awkward styling, and they don't want a car as large as DTS, so where are they to go? Possibly to other brands...

#119 ·
I did a check while driving just a second ago and it doesn't light up. Strange, I always thought it had. I've also heard that finding the lights to go for those buttons are next to impossible, since they are a "unique" kind.
Thanks! one less thing to take apart... The bulb I posted is a direct fit... and it is not all that hard of a project... Much better then a new $50 switch at the dealer ;)

The Seville was last drop dead gorgeous looking Cadillac IMO, and also sold more throughout its life than the STS has. Most of the traditional Seville buyers are polarized by the STS's awkward styling, and they don't want a car as large as DTS, so where are they to go? Possibly to other brands...
I could not agree more... and go they did... To Lexus, Acura, BMW and others... The numbers are in our face... Look at Cadillac sales in 1998 and compare those numbers to lexus in 1998 and then take a look 10 years later... they are almost 180 degrees apart... Very SAD.

My car is 7 1/2 years old! This is the longest I have ever kept any car... I was planning on buying a 2005 maybe a 2006 STS but man that car is FUGLY... Now I'm at the point of soldiering light bulbs the size of grains of rice into my car... Come on GM build me a gorgeous car again...

I KNOW you can!

#117 ·
If Cadillac bothered to read these forum blogs, they would learn (or have confirmation of) what fans really think about them, and what to do to remedy their problems.
I believe that "American luxury" can be something separate from the Europeans and Japanese companies, and it should start with premium: the best they can do. The best engines, transmissions, interiors, exteriors, and so forth, and the Cadillac of warranties. They should produce cars that comfortably fit 4, 5 or 6, depending on the vehicle.
On the largest Cadillac, they should have:
118 to 120 inch wheelbase, 18-20 cubic foot trunk, 75-76 inch width, seating 3 adults across, total length of 205-210 inches, weight of 4200 lbs. Engines: afm, direction injection, BAS+ LS V8s, 5, 6 and 7 liters, and with supercharging trans: 8 speed automatic, with deep overdrive, rwd with awd optional Interior: hand-stitched leather, heated and cooled, very quiet, engine inaudible at cruise, advanced infotainment with nav standard, 5.1 surround with quality speakers Service:engineer the car to be easily repairable, full service with loaner Warranty: The Cadillac Promise
The car should be beautiful, timeless design with a presence that says wealth, power and prestige. Not wannabe.

#123 · (Edited)
Hate to break this to you... This is not a new Idea.. In fact GM did pretty much this in the late 80's and early 90's with the Cadillac Allante... 10 year bumper to bumper... Cost GM a FORTUNE and didn't sell a single car...

Better then fixing cars for free; build a car that doesn't need constant fixing.

#122 ·
That would be really nice come to think of it. Even 5 years would be adequate, though the Cadillac certified warranty isn't a bad deal as is right now.

Luckily, all of my repairs won't be too expensive. The dashpad won't cost a thing. Just super glue and patience.

#125 · (Edited)
Mine isn't too bad; its mainly got scratches on it. I tried one of those headlight kits from AutoZone a few months ago and it made it look worse. I will try your suggestion though; I was going to get it professionally done, but this sounds much easier and cheaper.

How many miles does your STS have on it? Any major issues with it during you're ownership? I've had mine for 7 months and its minor issues that any 9 year old car would.

I've been on the Cadillac Forums for 2 years and learned quite a lot. The HG's on my car failed at 54k miles; it also had a water crossover leak, a bad motor mount, and various other things repaired. The car was driven by some little old lady, so I don't understand how all of that work needed to be done. I just replaced my crank sensors to the tune of $268... not cheap. I also battled a trunk leak about a month after I bought the car. A new weatherstrip and it hasn't leaked since. Right now I've got a pretty bad vibration at 65MPH, but I need new tires and while I get them I'm getting a road force balance. I'm picking up some touch-up paint tomorrow, and I might try that headlight fix you suggested.

#127 ·
Mine has 100,000 miles on it, mostly driven VERY hard. I blew up a transmission and a motor mount... The problem with the trunk is not the weatherstrip, it is the screw blocks at the top of the trunk near the parcel shelf... If you had the weatherstrip replaced at a dealership they will replace the weatherstrip and they will also seal up the screw blocks.. A quality set of tires and a Road Force balance solves the 65MPH shimmy.. "Bad Year RSAs" a great car with cheap-o tires. I run Michelin Sport A/S and she rides smooth as glass.

My head gaskets are still sound... But I replace my coolant every other year.

2000-2003 should have significantly fewer head gasket failures... the REALLY bad years are 97/98/99 I would NEVER recommend ANY NorthStar powered car from those years to anyone...

#128 ·
The car has Michelin Symmetry's on it now and they have been a great tire, but I'm gonna go for something more affordable. Most likely a Bridgestone or Firestone; a good brand for a good price is all I'm looking for.

The motor mount on these cars are a joke. If you even attempt to drive them hard, they usually fail. Mine is about to go out, though its only 7 months old. I drive my car really hard though; constant WOT, and "Traction Engaged" is a frequent message on my DIC.

When I started my search for a Seville, I was looking at a stunning Sable Black '99 STS with 75k miles. After a quick look on the Caddy forums, I realized buying a earlier Seville means I would be living on borrowed time. I waited for about a year before I bought mine, and since the HG had been done along with a slew of other things I felt more comfortable about owning a Seville. My issues with the car really aren't things that hinder the performance, just annoyances that can get under my skin. Thank god the biggest two are relatively easy fixes.

#140 ·
First of all CmicasatheGreat, realise that mgescuro belongs to a clique that, as a general rule, holds in disdain American-made products. This is due to certain of statewide propositions that have passed in Arizona and elsewere this past 04 Nov 2008 election. These Propositions stand against the beliefs that mgescuro's clique holds. For this reason, expect no love of American-made products from him or his people!

Secondly, the XLR was and is a great car! Certainly better than any BMW 6-Series coupe (in style, performance and especially the important attribute: handling.). The car's demise was due to the British reviewers' of that car (Top Gear in particular), and by compultion, "American" reviewers had to follow suit (after all, who can disagree with Jeremy Clarkson? If you do your credibility is hot, regardless of how great the reviewed car may be!).
Reviewers that hold no regard for the British automotive press loved the Cadillac XLR, claiming it to be a better alternative than any roadster anywhere in the world, tieing the Mercedes Benz SL500.
ConsumerGuide shows even worse reliability with the Lexus SC430 than with the Cadillac XLR. The MB 500, Jaguar and BMW 645 convertible are even worse still!
Car and Driver magazine rated the Cadillac XLR-V last in a comparison of six roadsters because "it is a domestic [luxury roadster]." We can tell Car and Driver is living under the shadow of the almighty Jeremy Clarkson!!!

#142 ·
First of all CmicasatheGreat, realise that mgescuro belongs to a clique that, as a general rule, holds in disdain American-made products. This is due to certain of statewide propositions that have passed in Arizona and elsewere this past 04 Nov 2008 election. These Propositions stand against the beliefs that mgescuro's clique holds. For this reason, expect no love of American-made products from him or his people!
If you are going to insult someone, why don't you grow a pair and come out and say what you think instead of hiding behind a reference to Prop 8 and whatever it was in Arizona? Or are you just stereotyping because he is from the Bay Area?

#147 ·
mgescuro, the Giants suck.

sorry had to, seems like eveyone is attacking you and i thought id just lighten the mood by adding something not related to cars.

and what you said about GM, i have to agree with you. alot of their cars are not competitive to the other brands. There are a select few, but the rest are not that good.

#148 ·
mgescuro, the Giants suck.
:p::p::p::p::p::p::p::p::p::p:

sorry had to, seems like eveyone is attacking you and i thought id just lighten the mood by adding something not related to cars.

and what you said about GM, i have to agree with you. alot of their cars are not competitive to the other brands. There are a select few, but the rest are not that good.
Only the ones who have no reading comprehension skills feel the need to attack because they have no other recourse.

I don't like saying it about GM.
But GM wouldn't be in its current situation if they actually made decent cars in the first place. And started doing it 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.