Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

  1. #1
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,058
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 156 Times in 99 Posts
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

    Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge truck guy and as such this question might be kind of stupid but why do the truck manufacturers offer the 3/4 ton (2500) trucks?

    We were out in Yellowstone National Park this past weekend and we were staying in the hard-sided camper area. As I was walking around I noticed that most folks pulling large campers were using one ton trucks but there were also a few 3/4 ton trucks. From my quick look at the specs the 2500 and 3500 trucks are virtually identical in specs with the 3500's obviously having a few advantages. Price wise, the two variants do not differ very much. This leads me to question why 2500 trucks exist. Would it not be better to just offer the 1500 and 3500 trucks?
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Chevrolet VOLT t-rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    10,748
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 163 Times in 93 Posts

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    In American car culture, there seems to be a lot of "because that's the way we've always done it" thinking...

    I also can't figure out why the standard payload is only a half-ton. Overseas, the little car-based utilities like the Chevy Montana are the half-tonners, and the standard japanese pickups are all one-tonners. By reason, the big yank tanks should all be 1˝ tons or more!

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,498
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 107 Times in 52 Posts
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    If we're talking payload, about the only fullsize truck on the market in the US that tops out at 1,000-pounds is the Raptor. Most fullsize trucks are capable of hauling considerably more. The 2014 Silverado 1500 has a payload of up to a ton, the "3/4-ton" 2500 Silverado has a payload of two tons, and the "1-ton" 3500 trucks have payloads up to 3.5 tons.

  5. #4
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    At the keyboard...
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    My Ride
    True Buick "muscle"

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge truck guy and as such this question might be kind of stupid but why do the truck manufacturers offer the 3/4 ton (2500) trucks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    The 2014 Silverado 1500 has a payload of up to a ton, the "3/4-ton" 2500 Silverado has a payload of two tons, and the "1-ton" 3500 trucks have payloads up to 3.5 tons.
    Not ALL trailer towers ONLY trailer tow...

    Try riding in a 1-ton (dually especially, with its much-shorter [therefore firmer] rear tires) with NO load. Have your chiropractor on speed-dial. A 3/4-ton may not be Cadillac-like, but it is far less onerous without a load on or in-tow. Until someone comes up with a reliable air-ride height-adjustable rear suspension that will withstand faultlessly the rigors of modern bomb-cratered roads, 3 choices are MUCH better than 2...

    A dually's prime purpose, for most trailer towers vs. 3/4-tons, is improved stability (4 short, firm tires vs. 2 taller more-pliable tires). 35' double-slide trailers can be towed with most 3/4-tons, properly optioned.
    Last edited by WoodieLongRoof; 07-03-2013 at 03:16 PM.

  6. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,058
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 156 Times in 99 Posts
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodieLongRoof View Post
    Not ALL trailer towers ONLY trailer tow...

    Try riding in a 1-ton (dually especially) with NO load. Have your chiropractor on speed-dial. A 3/4-ton may not be Cadillac-like, but it is far less onerous without a load on or in-tow. Until someone comes up with a reliable air-ride height-adjustable rear suspension that will withstand faultlessly the rigors of modern bomb-cratered roads, 3 choices are MUCH better than 2...

    A dually's prime purpose, for most trailer towers vs. 3/4-tons, is improved stability.
    Why not offer an air-ride seat option instead of air-ride suspension? I would think that an air-ride seat would be easier and cheaper to implement.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

  7. #6
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Avalanche13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,926
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge truck guy and as such this question might be kind of stupid but why do the truck manufacturers offer the 3/4 ton (2500) trucks?

    We were out in Yellowstone National Park this past weekend and we were staying in the hard-sided camper area. As I was walking around I noticed that most folks pulling large campers were using one ton trucks but there were also a few 3/4 ton trucks. From my quick look at the specs the 2500 and 3500 trucks are virtually identical in specs with the 3500's obviously having a few advantages. Price wise, the two variants do not differ very much. This leads me to question why 2500 trucks exist. Would it not be better to just offer the 1500 and 3500 trucks?
    Payload capacity is much higher on the 3500 trucks. Ride quality is proportionally worse.
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

    Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

  8. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,058
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 156 Times in 99 Posts
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche13 View Post
    Payload capacity is much higher on the 3500 trucks. Ride quality is proportionally worse.
    I've ridden in and drove Sierra 3500's and never really considered the ride to be that bad but I've never been in a 2500 for comparison.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

  9. #8
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    At the keyboard...
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    My Ride
    True Buick "muscle"

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    Why not offer an air-ride seat option instead of air-ride suspension? I would think that an air-ride seat would be easier and cheaper to implement.
    I can see it now...Get your Bostrum Silverado HERE!

    Air-ride seats in bigger trucks are only part of the necessary creature comfort add-ons. Air-cushion cabs...and on-board air compressor(s) for suspension and brakes, that overcome minor leaks.

    No air compressor on a 1-ton? Deflated airbags don't ride very good, either, or handle their optimum load...and no one would put up with stopping periodically to "put the hose" to the suspension Schrader valve(s) in a manual system.

    Fitting a decent sized compressor would certainly help, but then there's the added weight and complexity. Until enough customers DEMAND it, we're stuck with what we've got...3 choices. Kinda like "Goldilocks"...one's too big, one's too small, and for 1,000s, one's just right...
    Last edited by WoodieLongRoof; 07-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.

  10. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,498
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 107 Times in 52 Posts
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Well the 2014 Ram HDs use an air suspension system, but the 2500 is coil and the 3500 is monoleaf.

  11. #10
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    At the keyboard...
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    My Ride
    True Buick "muscle"

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Well the 2014 Ram HDs use an air suspension system, but the 2500 is coil and the 3500 is monoleaf.
    ...because Ram recognizes that a 1500 is likely used as a "car" (lt-duty), while 2500/3500 versions are purpose-bought, and damn well better be up to the task...

    BTW, for all the accolades the '14 GM trucks are receiving, NO ONE accuses them of being "revolutionary"...
    Last edited by WoodieLongRoof; 07-03-2013 at 03:46 PM.

  12. #11
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ChevyTrucks92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    260
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 1 Post
    My Ride
    GMC & Chevrolet
    Well living with a dually as an everyday driver is a nightmare. They are just not made for that.

    The trouble with a half ton is you are going to be limited on your payload and towing capacities. Most crew cab, 4WD half tons now have around 1500# payloads and 8000# towing capacities. That is all good and well when you're just hauling stuff or just pulling something. It's when you need to do both you run into trouble making the numbers add up. Max towing numbers are calculated with the only "payload" being the driver. Add your family and all your stuff and that 8000# towing capacity is more like 6500#

    This is why 3/4 tons are necessary. They are not all that much different to live with everyday than a half ton. True, they generally are slightly bigger and much heavier, and they cost more to operate, but they will fit anywhere a half ton will with not much hassle. And your payload is usually over a 1000# higher and all have 5 figure towing capacities now. So you don't have to worry about being over your GVWRs or GCWRs nearly as much.

    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    -2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT Z71
    -1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE


    Deuce's Wild Racing: Take a Ride on the WILDSIDE
    -1966 Chevy II (6.52 @ 104 mph-1/8th mile)

  13. #12
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 roy219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,652
    Thanks
    703
    Thanked 254 Times in 172 Posts
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodieLongRoof View Post
    BTW, for all the accolades the '14 GM trucks are receiving, NO ONE accuses them of being "revolutionary"...
    No other mass produced pickup trucks currently available for civilian use are revolutionary, either.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

  14. #13
    Banned hunchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bridgeport
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My Ride
    2012 F150 ecobeast 4x4

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    In American car culture, there seems to be a lot of "because that's the way we've always done it" thinking...

    I also can't figure out why the standard payload is only a half-ton. Overseas, the little car-based utilities like the Chevy Montana are the half-tonners, and the standard japanese pickups are all one-tonners. By reason, the big yank tanks should all be 1˝ tons or more!
    stick to your Japanese missle-launchers overseas. The standard payload is not half a ton for "yank tanks"

  15. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,058
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 156 Times in 99 Posts
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyTrucks92 View Post
    Well living with a dually as an everyday driver is a nightmare. They are just not made for that.

    The trouble with a half ton is you are going to be limited on your payload and towing capacities. Most crew cab, 4WD half tons now have around 1500# payloads and 8000# towing capacities. That is all good and well when you're just hauling stuff or just pulling something. It's when you need to do both you run into trouble making the numbers add up. Max towing numbers are calculated with the only "payload" being the driver. Add your family and all your stuff and that 8000# towing capacity is more like 6500#

    This is why 3/4 tons are necessary. They are not all that much different to live with everyday than a half ton. True, they generally are slightly bigger and much heavier, and they cost more to operate, but they will fit anywhere a half ton will with not much hassle. And your payload is usually over a 1000# higher and all have 5 figure towing capacities now. So you don't have to worry about being over your GVWRs or GCWRs nearly as much.

    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    If I'm not mistaken a 3500 SRW should be no more difficult to live with than a 2500 and it has the advantage of higher capacities.

    Maybe I just don't understand the 2500 trucks because I have no experience with them. I've only ever used the 1500 and 3500 trucks.

    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

  16. #15
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    85928
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    My Ride
    63 LeSabre

    Re: Why have 3/4 Ton Trucks?

    Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    If I'm not mistaken a 3500 SRW should be no more difficult to live with than a 2500 and it has the advantage of higher capacities.

    Maybe I just don't understand the 2500 trucks because I have no experience with them. I've only ever used the 1500 and 3500 trucks.
    With all due respect, yes, you don't get it.

    taxes, registration, insurance, size, and capability.

    A 2500 typically doesn't require commercial insurance, more costly registration, is available with a short bed on ext and crew cabs, but is above the regular 1/2 ton emissions and mileage regs.

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2