Why doesnt GM do this anymore????

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesnt GM do this anymore????

Thanks

Why doesnt GM do this anymore????

I think this really made a quality statement on older GM vehicles. Is there a certain reason why GM no longer uses this badge on the bottom of the door steps?
    F*** your green movement!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

vsd
    Thanks

Re: Why doesnt GM do this anymore????

Because Fisher doesn't make the bodies?

EGG
    Thanks

I have those on the door sills in my T/A.

Maybe it means something to you guys, but I thought it was tacky as hell
    305 TPI WS6 Trans Am
    VH SL/E (gearbox kaboom)

Thanks

The old saying goes:

Body by Fisher
    Brains by Mattel

Fisher Body is long gone, hence no more plaques on the door sill. Although I do like the brand name on the door sill now.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.

"I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coaster.n3rd
    The old saying goes:

Body by Fisher
    Brains by Mattel

Fisher Body is long gone, hence no more plaques on the door sill. Although I do like the brand name on the door sill now.
    How about the RUSTY JONES PACKAGE???
    toyota hondaimports
    VIVA PORTUGAL

Thanks

Well the Rusty Jones was a dealer installed rust preventative. Body by Fisher was the logo for the Fisher Body Division, which engineered and made most of the bodies for GM cars (no trucks, except ElCamino, or Corvettes). Each division would design a body, and then turn it over to Fisher Body so they could tool up to build it. Fisher would, stamp, assemble, paint and trim the bodies and them ship them to their respective plants, where they would join the chassis and engine. Fisher Body started to become less relevant as more and more uni-body cars started to come out.

They kept the logo on the door sills, but by the 1980's it really did not mean much, even 1984 Fieros have a "Fisher Body" decal on the door sills, eventhough Fisher Body barely had anything to do with the car. I think that the last cars to have the logo on their door sills were the last 1994 J-body Cavalier and Sunbirds, just because they did not want to retoll them sill panels when that car was on it's way out. Most other GM cars lost their "Body by Fisher" door sills by the late 1980's. For refference the photo of the square "Body by Fisher" logo up top is the later Fisher Body logo, which was first used in 1977 on the downsized full size cars, the more famous one is the oval shaped on with the Fisher carriage in the middle. Cadillac had a variation of this logo, which read, Interior by Fleetwood - Body by Fisher, they used this until the mid 1980's.

By the late 1980's there was only a handfull of BOF cars still being made by GM, the large RWD Buick/Olds/Cadillac sedans and wagons, everything else was uni-body, during one of the many dowsizing/consolidation/sell off/screw ups of the 1980's GM folded Fisher Body, Inland Division, and Guide(which made most of the lights/lenses on GM cars) into one divison that was Inland-Fisher-Guide Division, they made seats and interior components. They made most of the articulating 1000 way power seats thay most GM luxury/sporty cars had at the the time, I remember that the seats in 1993 Grand Prix GTP were made by IFG Divison.

Inland-Fisher-Guide also deveoped a process for printing fabric with designs already built into them, see the seats on the 1993 Camaro Indy Pace Car for an example, though what became of this technology I dont knowm as it was never seen again. I believe that IFG was part of the Delphi spin-off, some of it still exists as part of Delphi.
    Last edited by MCGARRETT; 10-09-2007 at 03:02 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

I still see "GUIDE" stamped on headlamp lenses in the post Delphi era, 97-03 Grand Prix for example.

Fisher was cool, but the concept of what was going on behind was stupid. You'd have a factory with basically two buildings and two companies, say Chevy and Fisher, Fisher would make the body then send it through a hole in the wall to Chevy. Inefficient and made no sense.

Thanks

Yes, Guide still does exist, though its now Delphi Guide Lighting Systems or something, most GM cars still have some Guide lamps in them.

Fisher was cool, but the concept of what was going on behind was stupid. You'd have a factory with basically two buildings and two companies, say Chevy and Fisher, Fisher would make the body then send it through a hole in the wall to Chevy. Inefficient and made no sense.

Not even that simple, sometimes they had to travel miles and miles, for example the Fisher Body plant in Euclid, Ohio made the Toronado, Riviera and Eldorado bodies, and then they shipped them by train to their respective plants in Lansing, Flint and Detroit. Though many Fisher Body plants were for the most part in Michigan, they were still miles from the final assembly plant. Cadillacs Detroit plant was cross town from the Detroit Fisher-Fleetwood plant(where most Cadillac bodies were made), meaning there was a constant back and forth of trucks carrying half finished Cadillac bodies to the Clark Street plant.

This is the last of the pre-ultra efficiency glory days, up until the 1980's Cadillac still operated the old Fleetwood plant in Detroit to just make the bodies for the LWB Fleetwood 75 limousines, alot of these cars still had hand fitted trim and assembly.
    Last edited by MCGARRETT; 10-09-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

I think this is what GM needs to do with their little logo that nobody looks at on the door panel. If owners see that GM logo on their sill they would coorelate it much better than the obscure thing on the door.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I know if anyone would like a sample sill plate with "Body by Fisher" stamped in it, we got a couple of them from an on line Corvair parts seller. We are rebuilding a 1964 2 door Spyder Turbo. A neat little car and they really go in the snow with the rear engine. Too bad Ralph Nader did not like them so well!
    Linda
    tahoebuilder

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

i miss my 75 camaro, had those door sills with that emblem on it
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC CanadianGMGuy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Chevrolet HHR

My 78 Z28 has them

2014 - Chevrolet Camaro 1lt
    2013 - Chevrolet Trax 1lt
    1978 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28

GMI Europe Correspondent Bravada's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr
    That's not stupid or inefficient, most car factories operate like that. Rarely is everything manufactured in the final manufacturer's/assembler's facility. You have a compound, sometimes spread over a large area, with different plants or even parts of them operated by different suppliers and contractors, making everything, from electrics to body parts, for the final assembler.

Fisher was originally a coachbuilder, I believe GM could revive Fisher as an in-house specialty body unit, e.g. for convertibles, stretch limos and whatnot, to add more "specialty factor" - like the Astra Cabrios and Coupes were built by Bertone and badged accordingly.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar steverino's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGMGuy
    My 78 Z28 has them

OOOhhh, that fabric would look really nice in the new Camaro
    What, Me worry - Alfred E. Neuman

Thanks

The Fisher Body plant here was torn down this year, which was part of Lansing Car Assembly (the plant where the bodies were put in trucks and driven to the assembly plant)
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information