Twin Turbo Direct Injection V8

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Direct Injection V8

Walking
    Thanks

Twin Turbo Direct Injection V8

So when is it going to happen? Does anyone know anything?

I am baffled by the deafening silence on this subject. Yeah, so GM just announced that the next gen Corvette will have a direct injected V8 option. It better! I mean isn't this the next natural step for engines. Look at power out put of the ford eco-boost! Why are people not standing outside dealerships demanding this. So GM has decided to direct inject a V8. Where is the twin turbo package? The ZR1 motor is impressive I'll admit, but direct injection + boost, now you're cooking with nitro. Can you imagine the torque? If Ford can do it with 6 cylinders, how hard could it possibly be to do it with 8. Set the general ignorance of that statement aside and admit that the point has merit. I realize that there are technical complications and much work to be done, but the principals are all the same. There's no new science to sort out or theoretical hurdle to clear, they just have to build it. Surely both GM and Ford have twin turbo charged direct injected test mules running around Detroit somewhere, or at least making music in some deep dark dyno chamber. Surely the must.....right? I would be ashamed of them if they didn't. What I want to know is does anyone have any information, any leaks or hints as to what might come?

I can imagine that if there is a direct injected V8 corvette on the way that there is a twin-turbo'd ZR1 coming shortly there after...?

GM: Don't let me down here.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Twin Turbo Direct Injection V8

There aren't "people outside dealerships demanding this" because it's a niche market.

Already approximately $100k, a ZR1 with a price increase (regardless of performance mods) isn't going to sell in significantly more volume, and I doubt the capacity is there to produce more volume if it did.

Then there's the reality of accidents. Street cars (and their occupants) look really, really ugly after 100 mph crashes. We're already over 200 mph here. Roads in the U.S. are in horrible shape. So you can take your chances basically in an unsafe environment, or go to the track with your $100k+car. Then your insurance company finds out and cancels you.

Of course technology goes forward. I am looking forward to the new engines as much as anyone. But you also remember half the EcoBoost story was fuel economy.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I would like twin turbos on the v8....although probably will be supercharger for packaging

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, I don't see them going away from a supercharger. Though it would be sweet to see a compound charger.

Current rides: 08' Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS/TC
    12' VW Passat TDI Manual
    06' Cadillac CTS

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Reportedly the Corvette team wanted to make a DOHC 3.8 V8TT for the Z06 a few years back, to attract a different audience, but it got nixed by bean counters early on. Anyone else remember this?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    I would like twin turbos on the v8....although probably will be supercharger for packaging
    Although looking at the GenV and how the DI hardware sits in the valley, it may be a challenge to fit a positive displacement blower in there and still maintain a low profile package.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I recently had this discussion with some vette techs and packaging the supercharger is easier than turbos for corvette even with. The direct injection running off the back of the valley and on top.

Ls9 solution has been successful for world class beating hp.

Direct injection and all other attributes of. The new LT1 will likely improve fuel efficiency and bump the power levels a little higher.

For everyday drivers the hp levels are getting to be dangerously high when you go much higher ....out of the dealer network....

I think we will see sevens(700) but that's about it and turbos aren't needed for seven hundred hp on a LT1 engine.

With direct injection compression can be upped on a boosted engine and lag is all but diminished so your premise for free hp without parasitic drag is logical. I just don't believe corvette can properly package the turbos under hood whereas the supercharger can be packaged easily

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

I am more interested in a DSG and PDK and performance AWD technology coming to GM. Power has never been GM's problem, puting it down and controling it always has been.

I also hope GM does not give up the V8 market to the Germans with the CTS and uses the new LT1 for a top of the range CTS Offering below the CTS V.
    an LT1 CTS with about 450 HP 445 Lb's Ft of Torque and an 8 speed DSG powertrain would be an awesome alternative to an E550
    Last edited by mchicha; 11-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion V6
    You know the 4.4L twin turbo V8 at BMW makes less power than the Gen V, right? 450HP on 87 octane sounds pretty good.

Turbos ruin the fun. Naturally aspirated is better. How would you like it if someone routed your exhaust gases back into your mouth?

Thought so.

Sent from Jo Momma using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The TVS R2300 is capable of any power levels that GM desires, and after the initial testing of twin turbos with the Blue Devil program I do not believe that GM will revisit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by free_energy0 View Post
    Reportedly the Corvette team wanted to make a DOHC 3.8 V8TT for the Z06 a few years back, to attract a different audience, but it got nixed by bean counters early on. Anyone else remember this?
    I remember these rumors. It was supposed to be a small displacement (3.x l) v8 TT DOHC with high redline. But it was just a rumor. GM won't make an engine which can't share some of its architecture with "cheaper" production engine (like small block chevy). And i don't see a need for that kind of engine until there is a car, from GM, in certain price range that can justify of making such an engine. And I doubt there ever will be.
    Only car (that i can remember) that has small displacement v8 with TT and big HP (over 600 hp) is Mclaren MP4-12..and that is one very expensive car. Rumors are future quattroporte will also have 3.8 l v8 TT..but "only" with 550+ hp.. and this car will also cost a lot of money.
    Last edited by asrapid1; 11-21-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

I would be really surprised if the next Gen GT500 did NOT have a TTDIV8. Supercharged engines just hve way too much parasitic drag.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    I would be really surprised if the next Gen GT500 did NOT have a TTDIV8. Supercharged engines just hve way too much parasitic drag.
    That can definitely be an issue, and for turbocharged engines cost and engine compartment heat can also be issues. My dream was always a 5.8 Trinity with direct injection, and twin turbochargers but the reality will probably be a 5.0 Coyote with direct injection, and twin turbos.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I believe Mercedes is already doing this with the E550.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    IS 350

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    I tend to agree. I think the current "for track purposes only" Cobra Jet mustang is a preview to the next GT500's power plant. Turbos would also do better in EPA testing and since you don't lose a ton of hp spinning a supercharger you don't have to run nearly as much boost to hit the same hp levels. Two smaller turbos would provide GT like mileage and sick factory hp, wicked low-end torque with unlimited aftermarket potential.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...153426236.html
    Last edited by big swede; 11-24-2012 at 08:00 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information