The Terrible 3.4L DOHC Engine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Terrible 3.4L DOHC Engine

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ChevroletTough's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

The Terrible 3.4L DOHC Engine

Ive had it, this is the last straw (this is going to be a rant, just to let you know.) Im a college student at the age of 21, Ive had my pickup (God bless that thing) since I could drive. I got this 1995 Monte Carlo 3.4L DOHC this past summer becasue i needed better fuel mileage, truthfully my mom bought it without my consent or checking it out, so I was hosed, and now im out $1500.00. What a great wrapup to 2006 and a sh*thole start to 2007 :

Ive replaced a camshaft sensor($95), 2 O2 sensors($50, second one was under warranty), 3 vaccum lines ($5), an intake gasket($20), a fuel regulator($50), PROM chip(#75), and an injector($90). This car has been nothing but trouble.

Ive been battling an idel issue with this car that is known with this engine. I solved the problem today, after 3 months of testing it. The O2 sensor went bad for the second time, and I had to update the prom chip. From what Ive read online and through many forums I am a member at, I am the only one whos solved this problem, for that I am very proud. But today a plate in the tranny went out. I cannot afford nor do I want to put any more money into this car. I was planning on getting it running and selling it this summer.

The 3.4 engine is the worst engine GM has ever built, and the T4 transmission paired with it is the weakest too. This car does not deserve the bowtie. Im so sick of this POS monte carlo.

I am a huge GM/chevy fan, I have a bowtie wrapped in barbed wire on my arm, but this series car/motor/tranny is the wost I have ever come across.

Im attending college right now, i have no money, i cant afford a new car. I have to drive the truck, at 11-13mpg im going to take a hit in gas during the school year and in summer when i drive 40miles a day roundtrip to work. 2007 is becoming 2006, a horrible year. My parents are going through a divorce, its dragged on for a year, the house is going to be sold.

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

end of rant.

(i don't expect anyone to reply... i just needed to get this out....)
    2004 Silverado Z71
    -G80 Eaton Locker
    -33" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    -SSBC Short Stop Brake Kit w/ stainless lines
    -K&N 77 Series Intake
    -2006 Grille and 2005 HD Hood
    - Corvette Servro
    -Custom LED lights inside and out
    -D ick Cepek DCII Rims
    -Access Bed Cover

"Drive what you want, appologize to no-one" - Nailhead425

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: The Terrible 3.4L DOHC Engine

Not to sound like a troll, but if you're buying a used car, especially one that old, buying a japanese marque is really the better choice reliability wise. I personally wouldnt have even considered that car if i were buying a 1995 used car. Id get something like an accord.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    Not to sound like a troll, but if you're buying a used car, especially one that old, buying a japanese marque is really the better choice reliability wise. I personally wouldnt have even considered that car if i were buying a 1995 used car. Id get something like an accord.
    First he said he didn't choose it. It was bought for him without his consent.

Second a Japanese marque is no guarantee of reliability. You will find this hard to believe but there are Japanese cars that are lemons too. The best thing to do is research the car you like.

ChevroletTough a suggestion if I may - go to a junk yard and see how much a used tranny will be. You may save a lot of money if you are facing a complete rebuild.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

One of my coworkers has a '96 Monte w/ the 3.1. He just had to replace the intake manifold gasket. And the driver-side door is about to fall off because the doorframe rusted out around the top hinge. He got a quote of $1800 from one garage that would only fix it the "right" way (replacing the front clip, basically), or $500 from a less reputable place that'd rig it up by welding a bunch of metal under the affected area. And it'd never get through inspection as it is now, so it's nearly impossible to sell it.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your car & other troubles. I'd suggest cutting your losses and getting rid of it ASAP. All that hassle for a 2-door Lumina worth $2k really isn't worthwhile. Good luck!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Type

Second a Japanese marque is no guarantee of reliability. You will find this hard to believe but there are Japanese cars that are lemons too. The best thing to do is research the car you like.

ChevroletTough a suggestion if I may - go to a junk yard and see how much a used tranny will be. You may save a lot of money if you are facing a complete rebuild.
    i know that, but generally they ARE more reliable.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

Second a Japanese marque is no guarantee of reliability. You will find this hard to believe but there are Japanese cars that are lemons too. The best thing to do is research the car you like

Very true...no used car is a total "Safe Bet". I CarFax right off the bat and then I ask to see the title. I check the handwriting. I am no expert but you would be amazed at what you can learn by finding out what person owned/least the car before. I look for Old Man/Woman handwriting. That will usually tell me the car was taken in for oil changes and so on. I look for a lot of other things that will tell me the demographic of the people that owned it before. If the CarFax comes back with odd repairs then I will pass.
    For Example: We were once looking at a 2 year old STS. It was sharp "looking" and it was CERTIFIED by Cadillac. Their info told me squat. The CarFax told me it had two tierods replaced and the Bose sound system speakers were blown at one point. Needless to say I back away from that "deal"....
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rearden82
    Anyway, sorry to hear about your car & other troubles. I'd suggest cutting your losses and getting rid of it ASAP. All that hassle for a 2-door Lumina worth $2k really isn't worthwhile. Good luck!
    I think that's a great idea.
    on the other hand, I hear that rebuilding the tranny by yourself isn't that bad, the issue is that it may not be worthed.
    good luck

Thanks

Chevtough is right though, these engines were always horrible.... In every vehicle they put them in. No tech i knows like working on them, parts are expensive and list goes on...

the best anyone can do with a 3.4l dohc powered vehicle is sell it....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Type

Exactly, we've had unreliable japanese used cars, yet have had very reliable used american cars and vise versa. Personally if my mom did that, I'd tell her to pay for the repairs because she's the one who bought the car, probably didn't have it inspected or do a VIN history check. Also, the cars 12 years old, it's bound to have problems, but regardless, it should've been inspected, test driven and had a history check done on it. However, I was talking to a Chevy salesguy when we were looking for a car for my aunt and there were two Cutlass Supremes there, one had the 3.1, the other had the 3.4 DOHC like in your Monte Carlo. He said, he couldn't sell the one with the 3.4, even though we liked it better because he said they aren't as reliable as the 3.1 and wouldn't want us to buy a money-pit.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 montrealvue's Avatar
    Thanks

The 3.4L is one of the most unreliable engines EVER built by ANY car company. I had the misfortune of having one in my old minivan.....truly thankful I don't own it anymore. I am sorry you didn't know the 3.4L is biodegradable.......
    '87 Merc Tracer '88 Toyota Tercel '89 VW Golf '94 Saturn SL '97 Pontiac Grand Am '00 Olds Silhouette '02 Dodge Intrepid '04 Chev Malibu '06 Saturn Vue '08 Toyota Sienna

Thanks

The 3.4 litre OHV engine and the 3.4 DOHC engine that he is writing about are not the same, though they are both derivatives of the orginal 2.8 litre OHV. The 3.4 "Twin Dual Cam" DOHC V6 was not one of GM's better ideas, I owned one and put about 97,000 miles on one, but the engine is a pain in the arse, it is a OHV engine converted to DOHC for starters, it has belts instead of a chain, and they have to be changed every 60K like clockwork. Due to the design of the engine, the alternator sits on the bottom the engine, facing the firewall, yee-haw, and to top it all of, for all the 215hp that the engine claimed to have, it was not really that fast, it did rev all way up to 6700 rpm redline though under full throtle, which was kind of cool, but in hindsight, I should have bought something with either the OHV 3.1 or a 3800.

Banned
    Thanks

The heck with the car, I want to see a picture of the tatoo!

Thanks
    My Ride

Don't get me wrong, that car was pretty powerful, but VERY unreliable. Plus I hated the 2door thing, 2doors only belong on very sporty cars, and muscel cars period. IMO

If I bought the car i would have done the research behind the 3.4 engine. Now i have that chance....... Ive already done alot of reserach on the 3.8 engine, its very reliable and strong.

As of a few months ago, I planned on getting a new car. At the end of the summer I will have enough money. Im looking at a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged) 3.8L. Black or midnight blue.

I know for a fact that the 3.8 is a VERY strong engine. We have one in our pontiac transport, and I have a freind whos family owns 3.

I have the time to rebild the tranny if i had to, but i just don't want to, after all the work ive done on this car. It ran great all summer, then fall rolled arond and things went to pot. Im not going to put any more money into this car. There are still problems, the window is stuck down and the brake lights don't work. The brake lights is a $100 fix plus the labor (its an airbag car so im not going to take the steering wheel off myself!!) Im not sure whats wrong with the windows, but truthfully I don't care. Im cutting my losses now.

To reply to a post I read earlier... I have not, nor will I ever own an toyota, honda, mutsubishi, mazda, infinity,lexus (any import, even if its made here.....) I won't allow anyone in my family to buy one either (only my sister is considering one.) I just won't allow it. end of story.
    Last edited by ChevroletTough; 01-04-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    2004 Silverado Z71
    -G80 Eaton Locker
    -K&N 77 Series Intake
    - Corvette Servro
    -D ick Cepek DCII Rims
    -Access Bed Cover

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    The heck with the car, I want to see a picture of the tatoo!
    here is my pride and joy!

2004 Silverado Z71
    -G80 Eaton Locker
    -K&N 77 Series Intake
    - Corvette Servro
    -D ick Cepek DCII Rims
    -Access Bed Cover

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

That sucks, but at least you have the truck. Most college students would be even more screwed in this situation. A gas guzzler is less of a pain in the ass than no car at all.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information