Station wagons with rear facing 3rd row seats

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Station wagons with rear facing 3rd row seats

Thanks

Station wagons with rear facing 3rd row seats

I got thinking about this when I saw someone facing backwards in the back of a circa 2003 Taurus wagon. Are there are wagons in production that still have this feature?

EDIT: I got thinking about a "traditional" station wagon and thought about the Mercedes E class, and they still offer them:

The CTS wagon doesn't offer this does it? Any other wagons to mention with them? Feel free to share your experiences with them
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Re: Station wagons with rear facing 3rd row seats

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    I got thinking about this when I saw someone facing backwards in the back of a circa 2003 Taurus wagon. Are there are wagons in production that still have this feature?

EDIT: I got thinking about a "traditional" station wagon and thought about the Mercedes E class, and they still offer them:

The CTS wagon doesn't offer this does it? Any other wagons to mention with them? Feel free to share your experiences with them
    As far I know the cts does not offer this at least not in Canada/us that I have seen.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think they were virtually eliminated (at least in the USA) because of safety concerns. In case of a rear-end accident, these seats are a real death-trap. Cars' rear is much weaker than the front, and the rear door offers essentially no protection to the occupants. There is no heavy engine to absorb the impact, no airbags (nor a strong supporting structure to put them on), and the distance between the impact point and the legs of the rear-facing occupants is minimal. Even a minor rear-end accident, which would be totally inconsequential to other occupants of both vehicles, could easily result in very serious injury (like loss of both legs) or fatality for the rear-facing passengers.

Car manufacturers don't want the liability of a "class-action" suit by a bunch of angry parents who lost their kids in relatively minor accidents due to "unsafe car design".

I supposed Mercedes is still offering them in the E-Class because the E-Class is a very heavy and strong platform, which can withstand a rear-end accident with an average car relatively well. But a typical mid-size economy-priced wagon stands no chance in a rear-end accident vs. a pick-up truck or larger SUV. Still, as a parent and an engineer, I would never put my children in the rear-facing seats of a Mercedes E-Class because it would be much more dangerous than having them in a forward-facing third-row seat of a full-size SUV or minivan.

Modifying the standard platform to make it "accident resistant" would be prohibitively expensive for a relatively small niche market, especially taking into account the availability of affordable front-facing three-row SUVs and minivans.
    Last edited by iltota; 03-28-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

I know I saw new car with them at NAIAS and was surprised. I'm pretty sure it was a Tesla model, but I can't find any evidence of it on the internet. I'll check my camera, to see if I snapped a pic.

Scratch that, I found a pic online. Supposedly of the Tesla S.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Uzzy; 03-28-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Thanks

heh I learned to never let someone sit where they shouldn't...back in the day I had a bunch of friends in my Forester and a chick friend laid in the back. Nothing happened though a couple months later the nasty rear end collision it suffered put the tailgate against the back seat...certainly would not have been a good place to be.

I didn't think too much about it at first but it indeed doesn't seem that safe. Wagons due to their larger body structure in that area would seem stronger in such a collision. Perhaps MB engineered the E class for this
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Rear facing i don't like but forward facing is fine - not for the reasons put forth here but because whoever sits there has to look at some fools headlights the whole trip as they sit so close you can count the bugs in the grill
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Rear facing i don't like but forward facing is fine - not for the reasons put forth here but because whoever sits there has to look at some fools headlights the whole trip as they sit so close you can count the bugs in the grill
    aww come on wheres your thrill? lol

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information