Some Thoughts on Safety

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some Thoughts on Safety

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Some Thoughts on Safety

From the Before Airbags Era.

Let’s start off with the manufacturer since he has swung into high gear screaming about safety features. My beef is that these “safety features” tend to lull the public into a false sense of security. And meanwhile the manufacturers are failing to do a lot of things which they could do and ought to do if they really want to cut down accidents and save lives. For instance, in the new car Owner’s Manual the manufacturer should emphasize, with pictures and easy-to-understand words, that this car —just like every other car—will have far slower pickup as weight is added in the form of passengers or luggage. We pointed out this simple but important fact on these pages almost ten years ago —but here goes again.

Take the biggest cars we have, with the biggest engines. Their 30-60 mph time can fall off anywhere from 25 to 40 per cent when two or three extra passengers are in the car. Unless you point this out to the owner he may have no way of knowing that the car he drives alone, five days a week on business, will become a death trap when he tries to pass a line of cars on a narrow highway on the weekend, when the weight of his wife and two in-laws has been added to the car’s load. With smaller cars this danger is even more acute. In my opinion many a serious accident has occurred because an ignorant driver did not realize that his car lost an amazing amount of its passing ability when he loaded it with additional weight. The safety boys ought to point this out, in type THIS BIG, and the Owner’s Manual is a good place to do it.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2012/...n-safety/#more

13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m 79Parisienne

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.--Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Some Thoughts on Safety

It seems this problem has been solved by adding MOAR POWAH!!

The Owner’s Manual should recommend two pressures: one for high-speed cruising, the other for short slow runs.
    Well, guess that one has been taken care of too... my Saab Turbos always had a higher pressure listed for cruising in excess of 130 mph. I always tried to set my tires to that, just in case I guess or because I couldn't resist it
    Last edited by Smaart Aas Saabr; 03-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

First of all, I don't know anyone who will read their owner's manual. That's why the manufacturer has added cd's, dvd's, and small 'infobrochures' to the owner's packet.

If you're passing in situations where adding 2-3 passengers is going to get you killed, you probably don't need to be driving on public highways anyway. You shouldn't be cutting it nearly that close. Even with no passengers the car could missfire, trans could slip, anything could get you killed. Wait for a better opportunity.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Thank goodness we can get some safety advice from July 1956 and Uncle Tom McCahill. This advice, from before the Interstate system was well underway, may have made sense then, but thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    First of all, I don't know anyone who will read their owner's manual. That's why the manufacturer has added cd's, dvd's, and small 'infobrochures' to the owner's packet.

If you're passing in situations where adding 2-3 passengers is going to get you killed, you probably don't need to be driving on public highways anyway. You shouldn't be cutting it nearly that close. Even with no passengers the car could missfire, trans could slip, anything could get you killed. Wait for a better opportunity.
    Maybe we just need to reform driver education. In Poland for example, the development of roads has lagged the increase in drivers by a significant degree. It is customary (technically illegal, but customary) for drivers to pass with oncoming traffic. You flash your lights at the guy in front, he hugs the right edge of the road, and try to pass right in the middle of the carriageway as the oncoming driver hugs his right edge of the road. It seems dangerous, but generally this should make head-on collisions difficult.

2b2
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    Maybe we just need to reform driver education. In Poland for example, the development of roads has lagged the increase in drivers by a significant degree. It is customary (technically illegal, but customary) for drivers to pass with oncoming traffic. You flash your lights at the guy in front, he hugs the right edge of the road, and try to pass right in the middle of the carriageway as the oncoming driver hugs his right edge of the road. It seems dangerous, but generally this should make head-on collisions difficult.
    tho I once had that exact edge-hugging thing happen to me outside of Mojave, Ca;
    in general (imho),
    in many parts of the U.S.,
    headlight flashing has been eliminated under any-&-all circumstances by the occupants of the vehicle you flashed, SHOOTING at you
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two become a law firm, and three or more become a Congress."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    tho I once had that exact edge-hugging thing happen to me outside of Mojave, Ca;
    in general (imho),
    in many parts of the U.S.,
    headlight flashing has been eliminated under any-&-all circumstances by the occupants of the vehicle you flashed, SHOOTING at you
    LOL, Somali style... stuck in traffic? Just shout at Kharye manning the 50 cal in the back of your Toyota pickup to take care of it

Thanks

Like Latins' caveat emptor, the automotive-version of "CAR DRIVER BEWARE" becomes CAVEAT CURRUS AURIGA.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information